The cosmetic cleanup of OverlandXJ

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Four changes to pinion to get the right feel, second attempt on carrier.

I have to pick up a 1/4 to 3/8" adaptor to check pinion preload with an inlb torque wrench but it feels real good... nice and smooth. This is a new front housing, i suspect mine is tweaked.

Appreciate the feedback!

EDIT: BTW, backlash is 10. I should be right in center of spec for used gearset right?

IH8RDS

Explorer
For new I would go 7, but 10 on used is just right.

For running torque on the pinion preload I use a digital snap-on torque wrench. A bit pricy, but it does running torque, nm, in and ft lbs with a touch of a button.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks again Scott! I posted looking for feedback at NAXJA but all the gear guru's must be wheelin this weekend.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist... just couldnt believe the result after attempt two. Kept wondering... what am i missing or interpreting wrong!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
IH8RDS said:
Do you remember what shim you used for pinion depth?

We started with the shim pack that was on the pinion from the old housing, it was too tight. We added till it felt right. IIRC it was .073 at start and ended at .086. I have the details written down in garage.

On carrier initial pattern read too tight on RG side... felt tight and notchy too, we took a stab at .013 and resulted in the shown pattern.

Oh wait... .083 was the preload shims. I'll check what we did behind the pinion baffle when i see the changes we listed.

Last edited:

IH8RDS

Explorer
You may get some noise because of the gears being used. They wear into a set pattern. It all depends on how they where set up initially. I had one set that I just couldn't get right no matter what I did because initially it was set up with the pinon too deep. The front is not very critical because 9 out of 10 times you will only run 4wd off road at slower speeds. The rear is constantly being used there fore the noise of used gears will be allot more evident.

IH8RDS

Explorer
OverlandXJ said:
Oh wait... .083 was the preload shims. I'll check what we did behind the pinion baffle when i see the changes we listed.

I cant remember what pinion shim I used for the dana30. Your pattern looks good though

IH8RDS

Explorer
One more question... How did you rotate the pinion when getting that pattern? I usually wrap a towel tight between the flange and the housing when rotating to get a "load" on it.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Don't button it up! A blue or white marking compound would look much better against the olive drab body color than yellow.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
IH8RDS said:
You may get some noise because of the gears being used. They wear into a set pattern. It all depends on how they where set up initially. I had one set that I just couldn't get right no matter what I did because initially it was set up with the pinon too deep. The front is not very critical because 9 out of 10 times you will only run 4wd off road at slower speeds. The rear is constantly being used there fore the noise of used gears will be allot more evident.

Just got back from friends garage. During initial setup we used a shim equal to the baffle that sits behind the inner pinion bearing race, so we had to pull it all apart to remove that shim and install the baffle.We used the shim so we wouldnt ruin that baffle if we had to readjust pinion depth. Total was .044shim in addition to the baffle on pinion.

We then rechecked backlash.. it loosened up to 12 inlb. But the pattern got even better! This should help with any noise issue with used gears as well... correct? We used a piece of wood between the housing and ring gear to induce about 40inlb drag... or "load".

I had to stop at Sears hardware on way there this am to get a 1/4 to 3/8 adaptor to check pinion preload, it was 10 inlb before we tore it apart and 6-8 after the baffle was installed. So i took .006 out (in .003 increments) of the shim pack and now have 12 inlb of preload.

Everything is now in spec and i have a real nice pattern. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow... i forgot the camera.

Thanks for your input this am Scott! :beer:

IH8RDS

Explorer
When you take it out for the test run. If you want to tighten it up more, just remove .003 shim from the right side, and put it in the left. That will get you back at between .009 and .010.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
IH8RDS said:
When you take it out for the test run. If you want to tighten it up more, just remove .003 shim from the right side, and put it in the left. That will get you back at between .009 and .010.

Deep pinion? Dont think it's needed Scott after the rework mentioned above. But i'll get a few more pics of the "better" pattern for your input.

:Mechanic:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
IH8RDS said:
I saw the pattern up on NAXJA. Looks great. Definatly button it up.:bowdown:

:xxrotflma

Heres the final pattern for those who didnt cheat and check NAXJA. ;) Thanks again Scott, owe ya a cold one... or ten.

pattern3001.jpg

pattern3002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3