The dieimma of purchasing a new Toyota

forty2

Adventurer
Before my wife went back to school she was commuting 2 miles each way in a '90 Civic. I think I only gassed that thing up 5 or 6 times a year. Of course around the same time I was putting 35-40k on my '94 pickup. I loved that truck...

Clutch

<---Pass
Before my wife went back to school she was commuting 2 miles each way in a '90 Civic. I think I only gassed that thing up 5 or 6 times a year. Of course around the same time I was putting 35-40k on my '94 pickup. I loved that truck...

We were using it a bit more when she was going to school, now that we have been in the new locale for a year now, it doesn't get driven much...crazy how long a tank of gas last.

That is the other thing, the new Tacos sure are nice...but I have had this one for so long now, I have grown attached to it...not sure I could ever get rid of it. Once you start hitting mileage milestones...it has become somewhat of a game to see how far it will go.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat. Just read this whole thread. I am thinking of getting out of the Isuzu game and just getting a 4runner. I am tired of laying on my back in the garage on weekends instead of camping and exploring. I've been a die-hard Trooper guy for many years, and if I could buy a 2016 Trooper I probably would, but alas, that option isn't available. A 4Runner looks to have everything I would want to do. But I am wondering about the Trail Premium vs the TRD Pro as well.

I will be installing a slim roof rack and my James Baroud RTT. I would also like to have the option to add a small lift and possibly go up a tire size, and beefier suspension that can handle a winch bumper and winch up front someday. It seems that the TRD Pro would be a waste of money if I want to keep those options open. Out of the box, the Trial Premium probably will get the job done. I can throw a roof rack up there, get my tent mounted and hit the road. After wheeling in 20+ year old vehicles around for so long, I have a feeling ANY new vehicle is going to feel like a space ship to me.

I really need to look at a comparison chart and figure out the REAL differences between the Trail Premium vs the TRD Pro. If the Pro just has a slightly better out of the box suspension, but won't accommodate a winch and bullbar eventually, then I am thinking the Trail Premium with some later upgrades is the right choice.

Bart

Bluegrass Taco

Adventurer
12112130_1001321069912404_923785125838713269_n.jpg
ha ha!

Ever notice the most AEV pics have the tow mirrors folded out....c'mon guys! ;).

aev-prospector-road.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Still ************ vehicle. If I were planning out my dream hunting rig, it would be very close to what is pictured there.

It certainly is bad ***. AEV wants a lot for badging though...I could do with out that huge black whale dildo too. The overland snorkel is what stacks are to rednecks...a massive phallus.

Stock Ram with some decent tires will go everywhere that thing will go, lifts and oversizes tires, give you marginal clearance gains. If it ends up in a ditch on its' roof you wouldn't cry too much.

camper-saved-life-flipped-over.jpg

I am just a cheap bastard, it comes from growing up in a family business, and me now, being self employed...for IIRC...for 17 years or so. I am so over the vehicle thing, such a horrible investment.. ...they are just tools to haul the other toys, cages are so boring off-road compared to a bike, meh over them....give me the cheap one.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wonder what happens if you drive the AEV Ram in water that is higher than the fuel door? I know diesels don't like water, and FC is too ********** cheap to put a fuel cap on our trucks.

Dalko43

Explorer
Meh. An overland snorkel can make sense depending on the context. As I understand it, it was primarily developed to raise the air intake above road dust/dirt kicked up during convoy travel in backcountry areas....the secondary purpose was to raise the air intake for water crossings...though as others have pointed out, you have to make sure other parts of the vehicle have been sealed or moved appropriately or else the snorkel is a moot point. Though diesels are no more susceptible to water issues than gasoline...it's really the electronics, fuel cap, intake, ect. that you need to worry about for water crossings.

I see a snorkel on a Truck out in Utah, or in the outback of Australia, I'd say that makes sense.

As for the price on that AEV Ram...yeah..EXPENSIVE AS S%*T! I think I'd buy a used Ram, with the 5.9L Cummins, and simply do the work myself....still would cost a bit, but much more cost-effective than buying a 2013+ and having AEV do all the work.

Clutch

<---Pass
Meh. An overland snorkel can make sense depending on the context. As I understand it, it was primarily developed to raise the air intake above road dust/dirt kicked up during convoy travel in backcountry areas....the secondary purpose was to raise the air intake for water crossings...though as others have pointed out, you have to make sure other parts of the vehicle have been sealed or moved appropriately or else the snorkel is a moot point. Though diesels are no more susceptible to water issues than gasoline...it's really the electronics, fuel cap, intake, ect. that you need to worry about for water crossings.

I see a snorkel on a Truck out in Utah, or in the outback of Australia, I'd say that makes sense.

It kinda makes sense then it doesn't if you look at Baja racers, they don't use snorkels. I lived in AZ for 20 years, and have been going to
down to Baja just as long...in a convoy, it is dusty no matter where the air intake is. Usually you back off, and/or drive staggered and hope for a breeze.

baja500-feature1.jpg

As for the price on that AEV Ram...yeah..EXPENSIVE AS S%*T! I think I'd buy a used Ram, with the 5.9L Cummins, and simply do the work myself....still would cost a bit, but much more cost-effective than buying a 2013+ and having AEV do all the work.

That suspension is only $2K. Think I would do that, a hidden winch in the stock bumper, different tires on the stock rims, and call it good.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/ram/ram-hd-3-dualsport-sc-suspension

Those AEV's are going for $53K, down the street from me. http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-7c45dddc0a0a000277c4308b816d41d4.htm

A gasser Tradesman is around $35K...could keep around $40K, with suspension, tires and winch...and save yourself $13K.

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-f5b9971a0a0e0a6b3006e5fb999d1b8b.htm

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
I just put new brake pads, four Bilsteins and a new steering dampener on my '97 T100 for about the same cost as a set of floor mats and tie downs on a new Tacoma. In the near future, I'll be needing a timing belt and new front axles, and I'd really like to find some new seats. That should cost less than the sales tax on a new Tacoma. There's a 2009 2wd Taco Access Cab with a For Sale sign parked around the corner. It's straight and clean but looks like a base model. $17K asking. Wow!

Clutch

<---Pass
I just put new brake pads, four Bilsteins and a new steering dampener on my '97 T100 for about the same cost as a set of floor mats and tie downs on a new Tacoma. In the near future, I'll be needing a timing belt and new front axles, and I'd really like to find some new seats. That should cost less than the sales tax on a new Tacoma!

That is awesome.

I could use new seats in my old faithful, but my dog rides shotgun...every time I think about putting new seats in... then I think...well, I probably wouldn't want my dog in the new seat...then that thought fades away.

I do miss my '76 F250 in that respect...it had a vinyl bench that would singe the back of your thighs in the summer, and winter it would freeze your bearings off...used to hose that thing out when it got too gross....can't do that in my Tacoma.

Dalko43

Explorer
It kinda makes sense then it doesn't if you look at Baja racers, they don't use snorkels. I lived in AZ for 20 years, and have been going to
down to Baja just as long...in a convoy, it is dusty no matter where the air intake is. Usually you back off, and/or drive staggered and hope for a breeze.

baja500-feature1.jpg

Baja racing and overlanding are 2 different activities with different sets of priorities...do we even need to mention how often those Baja vehicles get rebuilt or have significant repairs done due to the wear/tear/abuse?

Also, I'm sure a big giant intake would be absolutely wonderful for the aerodynamics of those Baja vehicles..:bike_rider:...last time I checked, most overlanders or offroaders aren't worried about their finish times. So I'm sure in the risk vs reward analysis, most Baja racers would rather have less drag over a higher air intake.

Just because you personally don't use a snorkel, doesn't mean that they don't serve a functional purpose. If you do even a modest amount of google searching, you can find some test results done by outfitters and overlanders in Australia and South Africa.

All that being said, I acknowledge that there are probably some people who have snorkels purely for show.

Clutch

<---Pass
Baja racing and overlanding are 2 different activities with different sets of priorities...do we even need to mention how often those Baja vehicles get rebuilt or have significant repairs done due to the wear/tear/abuse?

Also, I'm sure a big giant intake would be absolutely wonderful for the aerodynamics of those Baja vehicles..:bike_rider:...last time I checked, most overlanders or offroaders aren't worried about their finish times. So I'm sure in the risk vs reward analysis, most Baja racers would rather have less drag over a higher air intake.

Just because you personally don't use a snorkel, doesn't mean that they don't serve a functional purpose. If you do even a modest amount of google searching, you can find some test results done by outfitters and overlanders in Australia and South Africa.

All that being said, I acknowledge that there are probably some people who have snorkels purely for show.

Chase trucks for the most part don't run snorkels. ;)

Snorkels for sure serve a function in particular applications, as you said....(like most things)...the average offroader/overlander doesn't really need it. More for show than anything...lets see how much unnecessary crap we can bolt on a vehicle. It is a fashion accessary more than anything. These trends come and go. Majority of people would be better served by keeping their vehicle stock...but stock isn't cool... ;) I mean, geezzz...look at all the build threads... :D

Again these things have been beaten to death....snorkels, fridges...gas vs. diesel...Toyota vs. everything else... it all will give ya trouble one day. :D

Dalko43

Explorer
Chase trucks for the most part don't run snorkels. ;)

Like I said earlier, Baja racing, and support, has a different set of priorities from overlanding. Also, how many water crossings are there in Baja?

Snorkels for sure serve a function in particular applications, as you said....(like most things)...the average offroader/overlander doesn't really need it. More for show than anything...lets see how much unnecessary crap we can bolt on a vehicle. It is a fashion accessary more than anything. These trends come and go. Majority of people would be better served by keeping their vehicle stock...but stock isn't cool... ;) I mean, geezzz...look at all the build threads... :D

It's not simply for show, though some people do use it that way. It does have a functional purpose:

If someone is putting mods on their vehicle that will actually see use, I think it makes sense. If someone is putting on mods simply for having a good set of photos to post on facebook, that's cool too, I just am not into that scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad