The era of the 100 is here.

haven

Expedition Leader
100 series prices

It would be nice if the price were a little lower. Autotrader.com shows 45 Land Cruisers and LX470s for less than $16,000, but only a few lower than $14,000. Most are high mileage (>125,000), but that's only 14,000 miles a year. Lexus are offered at somewhat higher prices, but usually have lower miles.

The 100 series uses a belt to drive the cams, while the 80 series uses a chain. Check to be sure the belt was replaced at around 90,000 miles.

The 100 series was, and still is, offered with solid front axle everywhere except North America. It's called the 105. The base model 105 has manual locking hubs, part time transfer case, manual transmission, and 4.2L straight 6 diesel engine: A near-perfect platform for an overland vehicle.

I read online that the 105's front axle, hubs, transfer case and transmission is the same as used in the 1999 and later Toyota model 78 Land Cruiser. Maybe this is where Slee got the equipment for his 100 series demo truck.

Chip Haven

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
haven said:
I read online that the 105's front axle, hubs, transfer case and transmission is the same as used in the 1999 and later Toyota model 78 Land Cruiser. Maybe this is where Slee got the equipment for his 100 series demo truck.

Slee had Diamond Axle build a new housing that uses 80 outers and the rear chunk from an 80 Series (9.5" ring gear). The rear axles were redrilled to match the 6 lug pattern and Slee used his normal 80 series coils and arms on custom brackets that they added to the housing.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Dirty Harry said:
It has already been done. :)

I just spoke to Slee about buying his SAS 100. He gave me a fair price. The trouble is the '97 LX450 I just finished building. I have $25K in it. $12.2K for the truck and $13K in mods. It now runs great and is smooth. How much could I sell it for?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 100 series was, and still is, offered with solid front axle everywhere except North America. It's called the 105. The base model 105 has manual locking hubs, part time transfer case, manual transmission, and 4.2L straight 6 diesel engine: A near-perfect platform for an overland vehicle.
The 105 is basically 100-series sheet metal on an 80 frame. I think the 105 is also dying with the IFS 100 series as the 130 series is introduced. But Toyota is offering a new 4 door 76-series wagon to take it's place. I think this probably makes sense, since the 100 here and in many countries is a relatively cushy truck (even Australia has IFS 100 series that have nav systems and DVD players). So since they don't have any desire to reintroduce a utility Cruiser to our market, why not make the 70 series the working series and the 130 the softer line? It's not that the 130 is going to be a complete cream puff, just not a 70 series.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
ShottsCruisers said:
I just spoke to Slee about buying his SAS 100. He gave me a fair price. The trouble is the '97 LX450 I just finished building. I have $25K in it. $12.2K for the truck and $13K in mods. It now runs great and is smooth. How much could I sell it for?

I'll give you $100 and an Eezi-Awn?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
There's apparently rhyme and reason to this. The 2UZ is an interference engine and the 1FZ is a non-interference engine. It seems this follows Toyota's general trend that an engine that has a critical clearance has (relatively) easy to service timing and a presumably less critical design has a harder to service timing system. Just what it seems like to me, dunno if it's an absolute truism. The 22R is supposedly a non-interference engine (and this seems true in my case, no piston/valve impact when my chain broke) and has a chain, the 3VZ has a belt is interference.

Actually as far as the 22r series goes, they are interference engines, whereas the 3.0/3.4's are non-interference engines. I'm not sure how you avoided the damage when your chain broke:Wow1: Not sure on the 1fz, but I don't think they are interference engines either.

Jack

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
locrwln said:
Actually as far as the 22r series goes, they are interference engines, whereas the 3.0/3.4's are non-interference engines. I'm not sure how you avoided the damage when your chain broke:Wow1: Not sure on the 1fz, but I don't think they are interference engines either.

Jack
Man, yesterday was a long day. I was completely backwards. The 22R is an interference engine and the timing belt driven engines are typically non-interference (thus the reliance on a timing belt rather than a chain). The F/2F/3F are atypical in that they are non-interference and use a robust timing system (gears!). But, yeah duh, the R motors are interference. I even knew that from an earlier thread.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
ShottsCruisers said:

Trade + Ca$h

locrwln

Expedition Leader
ShottsCruisers said:

Psshaahhh. After you have built a few rigs and sold them for less than half of what you got into them it get's easier.:shakin:

Jack

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Allow me to disagree.

When people start welding stuff on them and fabricating some decent suspension then perhaps I will revist this thread.

Bolt on sliders?(insert vomit here)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
locrwln said:
Psshaahhh. After you have built a few rigs and sold them for less than half of what you got into them it get's easier.:shakin:

Jack

Has a more accurate statement been written before??? I shudder at the recepts I have from the Unlimited build...Jack how long did the sting last when you sold that built 4Runner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3