The not-so-definitive guide to Sienna seats

RickM

Observer
I have been thinking about this more and more. I know I mounted mine on slide rails, but as of yet, we have not used them in any position other than the furthest back position. I really like the idea of mounting them on the l-brackets, because you do get more adjustability, but it may not be quite so flexible, which may be fine if you are not changing the position of the seat much.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
I've got my materials now and just need a couple hours to mess around. I will work on the passenger side seat first because there is less interference below.

I'm using the double stud threaded bolt and will have 3+ feet of maneuverability. Will likely keep the seats all the way back with a futon bench behind them for everyday rolling around but then will move them most of the way forward when we are going on extended weekend or longer trips with just my family so that the queen size futon bed is permanently made for easy napping and resting.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Can't wait to how folks mount the seats to increase options. I've got a set of seats for the rear which have been sitting in the garage since last fall.

philos

Explorer
I too, have been spending some nice quality time making brackets to get these in the front-most positions. Third iteration on the passenger side has yielded a sliding, working seat with the factory pre-tensioners. It also sits back, and inboard from the factory seat for a bit more leg room and clearance.
I'm using the non-recliner versions in cloth, and some sliding tracks from a junkyard conversion van of 1980s vintage. Hope to get some pics in time... Also hoping that the driver's side will go faster :D

philos

Explorer
Not nearly as slick as the MG mounts, but I made em. And aside from an awful lot of time and sweat, I'm not out a lot of cash.
Pro-tip, when you run longer bolts to use the Ford seat belt/pre tensioner on the Sienna seat, the bolt is 7/16-20, rather than metric. I hunted all over google trying to find out where to find an 11mm x 1.25 bolt when it's SAE per US traffic rules :)
Photos:
b46c2dabbd4971edc5d3b4af3dd332ab.jpg
f661d0938793bb1b52709bfaff9450da.jpg
89b5f4f953105d6a1be6b0404d0bd3f2.jpg
4117ebe6acc26db40283963e459814ca.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

mgmetalworks

Explorer
...Pro-tip, when you run longer bolts to use the Ford seat belt/pre tensioner on the Sienna seat, the bolt is 7/16-20, rather than metric. I hunted all over google trying to find out where to find an 11mm x 1.25 bolt when it's SAE per US traffic rules :)

I would have told you the size and saved you some time... :)

Nice work on the mounts!

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Quick question, folks. I'm just getting around to working on my seats now. I should be able to get the L-track installed this week because the van will be on the lift and the gas tank removed, so I'll have plenty of room to work. Meanwhile, I'm trying to attach the MG mounts I bought from UJOR. I removed all of the OEM quick release mechanisms from the bottom of the seat, and I can see clearly where I need to cut off the folded over metal for clearance on the mount. However, the rear bolt holes for the OEM quick release mechanisms have the nuts tack welded to the sheet metal in three places. I've tried pounding on them with a chisel but they won't budge. They are buried behind plastic trim, and the upholstery isn't too far away either. Has anyone else encountered this? Mine are 2015's. Do I apply heat? The sheet metal is also curved around the bolts too, making getting a grinder wheel in there very difficult. Even a hack saw blade is a tight fit in there. Any recommendations? If I have to use heat then I can take the trim off.

Thanks!

eI1Eqp2BQianYSIZe98XbWkzt_32GKCJK1ndmOvRewc=w476-h634-no

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Quick question, folks. I'm just getting around to working on my seats now. I should be able to get the L-track installed this week because the van will be on the lift and the gas tank removed, so I'll have plenty of room to work. Meanwhile, I'm trying to attach the MG mounts I bought from UJOR. I removed all of the OEM quick release mechanisms from the bottom of the seat, and I can see clearly where I need to cut off the folded over metal for clearance on the mount. However, the rear bolt holes for the OEM quick release mechanisms have the nuts tack welded to the sheet metal in three places. I've tried pounding on them with a chisel but they won't budge. They are buried behind plastic trim, and the upholstery isn't too far away either. Has anyone else encountered this? Mine are 2015's. Do I apply heat? The sheet metal is also curved around the bolts too, making getting a grinder wheel in there very difficult. Even a hack saw blade is a tight fit in there. Any recommendations? If I have to use heat then I can take the trim off.

Thanks!

leave them there and use the factory hardware with the new mount. Here is a picture of the bracket used in the front mounts (very similar to the mount you're using)
DSC_0571.JPG

Last edited:

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
So I'll have to drill out your mount for the rear holes because the factory bolts are much bigger. For the front set of holes though, the factory bolts are riveted to the factory quick release mechanism, and I should be able to fit it all in there.

xCIuxqQ1eUdONPfqZuGSCmLFWMunylYO0fG7kTJsNSw=w476-h634-no

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
HUGE thanks to MG the other day for doing the majority of the install of my new 2015 Sienna grey leather recliners(from what we know, the first E-Series to receive them). I love these seats!! :wings: So glad I waited on recliners until these popped up(thx again to MG for the FYI). They look factory--the grey is almost a perfect match and the black bases finish off the cohesive look with the rest of the van. Notice how taller(looking at headrest) these are than the 2011 grey non-recliners. The back of the 2015's seat bottom also doesn't dive at such an extreme angle like the 2011 cloth's do.

We also got the plan down for the custom L-track rear seat/cargo tiedown setup(I need to get the L-track powdercoated first) for the rear seat install.

As always, thanks for your skills and expertise MG!!

$_57.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4822.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
mk, First off, those seats look great. Way nicer than my cloth seats.
Did you mount the front seats on L-track as well? I ask due to not having much leg room as the isn't much adjustment.

You'll have to post pictures of the L-track install in the rear so i can get some ideas for my rear seats. Where did you find the "taper collar" bolts to mount the track to the van?

I think MG needs to make a trip out to the East Coast to assist this group of folks as well!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
mk, First off, those seats look great. Way nicer than my cloth seats.
Did you mount the front seats on L-track as well? I ask due to not having much leg room as the isn't much adjustment.

You'll have to post pictures of the L-track install in the rear so i can get some ideas for my rear seats. Where did you find the "taper collar" bolts to mount the track to the van?

I think MG needs to make a trip out to the East Coast to assist this group of folks as well!

Yeah, they're way nicer than my Sienna cloth seats!
Front seats are mounted on MG/UJOR Sienna brackets. My RF has MG's swivel mechanism.
Will post pictures hopefully next week after the rear L-track/airline/Mac's track install. MG is the hardware man--that's his dept.

Hehe, you'll have to talk to MG about that. So lucky to have him nearby in OR!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
....I ask due to not having much leg room as the isn't much adjustment...

The cloth seats sit ~1.5" farther forward on the mounts than the recliner style so you lose a little room just from the differences in the seats.

....Where did you find the "taper collar" bolts to mount the track to the van?...

Depends on what exactly I'm looking for but I typically get fasteners from www.McMaster.com and www.belmetric.com and sometimes my local Fastenal.

The completion of the Cummins project could be followed by a lap around the states for a break-in run. We'll see how far we can get in the time we have off from work. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad