The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
All the back and forth…lol for me I still like the new landcruiser and would be happy to own it.
Same. I like the styling of the LC over the new GX but prefer the drivetrain of the GX over the LC. Damn it.
Doesn't really matter in the end anyway since I need a pickup for my uses.

MarcusBrody

I saw the GX550 in person at OE PNW. I would say the look and feel is very similar in interior size to a 5th gen 4R. 2nd row is definitely a lot smaller than the 200 series.
Nice, thanks. The 5th Gen 4 Runner has pretty good capacity for its footprint. The 4Runner is at 47cu ft behind the second row. I currently have a Transit Connect that is 60, probably 65+ with the rear seats removed. No capable SUV is ever going to equal my Transit Connect for sheer space/footprint and loading convenience, but a high load floor is the trade off for some clearance. If the new LC comes in at 50+ I'll be happy.

sn_85

Observer
Nice, thanks. The 5th Gen 4 Runner has pretty good capacity for its footprint. The 4Runner is at 47cu ft behind the second row. I currently have a Transit Connect that is 60, probably 65+ with the rear seats removed. No capable SUV is ever going to equal my Transit Connect for sheer space/footprint and loading convenience, but a high load floor is the trade off for some clearance. If the new LC comes in at 50+ I'll be happy.

The hybrid battery of the LC250 takes up a huge amount of space. I don't think it'll match the cargo space of a 2row 5th gen 4R. The GX550 however should have more space since its not hybrid though.

MarcusBrody

The hybrid battery of the LC250 takes up a huge amount of space. I don't think it'll match the cargo space of a 2row 5th gen 4R. The GX550 however should have more space since its not hybrid though.
Thanks. I totally forgot that the GX550 he saw wasnt a hybrid. Well I'll wait and see then, I guess.

MarcusBrody

This might be a sacrilegious question, but why do people prefer split rear tailgates vs. liftgates? Just for sitting? I've seen a number of complaints about the liftgate on the 250 (not necessarily on here specifically), and I'm curious.

I rather like lift gates for a bit of protection from the elements and because it means I can get closer to the vehicle when loading/unloading things from the more forward parts of the rear cargo area. I've seen a number of complaints about the liftgate on this truck, but a liftgate with a split window you can use to reach in for small stuff seems best case scenario to me.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This might be a sacrilegious question, but why do people prefer split rear tailgates vs. liftgates? Just for sitting? I've seen a number of complaints about the liftgate on the 250 (not necessarily on here specifically), and I'm curious.

I rather like lift gates for a bit of protection from the elements and because it means I can get closer to the vehicle when loading/unloading things from the more forward parts of the rear cargo area. I've seen a number of complaints about the liftgate on this truck, but a liftgate with a split window you can use to reach in for small stuff seems best case scenario to me.
Yes, I agree with you on this.
I prefer them over split gates, barn doors, side opening gates and dutch doors like the Safari / Astro & Excursion had.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I was in the middle of trading my ’19 Tundra Platinum in on a new TRD Offroad 4Runner, but I put my name down on a 1958 in Trail Dust instead. I can survive another winter in the Tundy if it means a Land Cruiser instead of a 4Runner.

I also predict a SLOW fill of orders, but hopefully Toyota pays attention to the Bronco debacle and actually ramps up production. My usual dealer in “the big city” says he already has close to 50 “place marks” for when the order bank opens, so I’m going to try my local hillbilly dealer where people are cheap and see if he can get me one.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Split gates were done for two reasons. First one is a boxed rigidity structure at the back of the vehicle. Full hatches are just floating doors and provide zero rigidity to the wagon body. Ever ride in an old wagon with a hatch chattering and squeaking before? The old grand Jeeps were terrible.

Second part its hard to have a work bench surface when your rear hatch floor is covered in gear. Tailgate gives you a clear work bench space every time.

Why did they go away? Simple it costs more to have two doors vs 1.

Which is better? The tailgate system adds a big structural element to an otherwise wide open hole in the back of the wagon.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I bet Toyota strips out the 4runner removes tow hooks and rear opening hatch window. And the LC is the only mid size SUV they sell with tow hooks and rear window that opens😆.
Then the next generation 4runner becomes awd crossover that looks like a mash up of the Camry and Sienna👍.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179