The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

utherjorge

Observer
But Toyota is not Tesla; Toyota often errs by underestimating mileage, even relative to EPA.

If they're saying 27 mpg combined, it'll likely be 27 mpg combined, if not better.

I have owned quite a few Toyotas, and I have found that they've been overestimated, though. Before I did anything to my GX (2" lift, tires, and so on) I wasn't getting the EPA mileage on mine, though I would be close on highway. I simply won't say you're wrong as a whole.

It's worth mentioning how well the Sienna hybrid does overall, so it would be great if you're right. I firmly believe that Tesla has finally been found to be "doing the quiet part out loud," so to speak, with mileage, and daring anyone to do anything about it. So, since no one has...numbers won't ever mean anything anymore.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Our new highlander hybrid AWD has a lifetime average over 9k miles of 35.2mpg. I’m not sure how close the powertrains are- obviously this vehicle has P rated tires and sits lower to the ground, has a cvt transmission also.

gdaut

I had an early year (2008?) of the current gen Tacoma. It did not have impressive power, had a pitiful payload, and got poor fuel economy even in stock trim. I was excited to get it, because Tacos are "the thing" and all the cool kids have one, but really it was not a great truck. We have had a Prius for about 10 years that has been rock solid and gets or betters the advertised MPG (of about 50), and have a 2021 Sienna Hybrid that also gets great MPG and so far has been trouble free. I have always wanted an LC, mostly because all the cool kids have one, but have never seriously considered it because of the terrible fuel economy. So for me, the hybrid LC is very appealing.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I had an early year (2008?) of the current gen Tacoma. It did not have impressive power, had a pitiful payload, and got poor fuel economy even in stock trim. I was excited to get it, because Tacos are "the thing" and all the cool kids have one, but really it was not a great truck. We have had a Prius for about 10 years that has been rock solid and gets or betters the advertised MPG (of about 50), and have a 2021 Sienna Hybrid that also gets great MPG and so far has been trouble free. I have always wanted an LC, mostly because all the cool kids have one, but have never seriously considered it because of the terrible fuel economy. So for me, the hybrid LC is very appealing.
The current gen tacoma came out in 2016..

gdaut

Did not know that; they look the same (or maybe I am not paying attention). Did they get any better power/MPG/payload?

CSG

Explorer
I've owned my '02 LX for almost 14 years and it's been long paid for. I average about 15mpg where my runs into town are 15 miles on a county road. So a round trip to town costs me about two gallons. It's stock, with no issues, and about 135k miles on the clock. Does all I need from it so this new LC has not caught my interest as I can buy a lot of gas and timing chains for $60k+. I wonder what Toyota's thinking really is with this model.

utherjorge

Observer
I've owned my '02 LX for almost 14 years and it's been long paid for. I average about 15mpg where my runs into town are 15 miles on a county road. So a round trip to town costs me about two gallons. It's stock, with no issues, and about 135k miles on the clock. Does all I need from it so this new LC has not caught my interest as I can buy a lot of gas and timing chains for $60k+. I wonder what Toyota's thinking really is with this model.
I don't really understand your post. Did you have a chance to read the entire thread? You have a 21-year old rig, and Toyota's thinking has been pretty clear the whole time, really.

tacollie

Glamper
Your LX was $60k+ in '02. It's nice Toyota is offering a 2024 LC that is cheaper than your LX was new.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Belt not chain…😜

utherjorge

Observer
Interesting how many LC owners here seem to think Toyota is trying to convince them to buy a new LC and not realizing Toyota is actually trying to get the much greater number of non-LC owners to buy their first.
This is actually an exceptionally great point.

Soooooo many Tacomas and 4runners have been sold over the years. This is a way to keep them on brand, move them up, so that different people can get access to the "Smaller," less-exclusive models.

Buy a Civic now, later get an Accord...or, substitute Corolla and Camry. You get the idea.

Markal

Interesting how many LC owners here seem to think Toyota is trying to convince them to buy a new LC and not realizing Toyota is actually trying to get the much greater number of non-LC owners to buy their first.
And this will very likely be me. I’ve resisted a a real 4x4 till now, mostly due to mpg and lack of features and luxuries in many of them. This LC may solve that for me. I would not even contemplate the larger LC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__