The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I sure do appreciate that you keep this thread going. The combination of build information a trip photos is as good as it gets, and the mods you've done are killer. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to keep us informed. :bowdown:

X2!!!!!!!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Awesome thread!

X2!!!!!!!

x3, and agree with all the other great comments you get!

This thread is the most motivating build/run/upgrade/update/fun thread I've read. Please don't stop.
Just bought a stock '04 Overland, that has never seen dirt. You and all the other modified W.J. folks here have pioneered some great rigs, that will make my life of upgrading a whole lot easier.
Thanks! :beer:

Scott

theksmith

Explorer
P1070315.JPG

just made it back from the Old Dale Mining District...

theksmith

Explorer
took a friend from Germany on the Log Corral trail just outside Phoenix yesterday...

fromscott01.jpg

here's he is in his 5.7L VVT Hemi equiped JK:

CIMG2930.JPG

and some of you know of Clifford:

CIMG2956.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
the factory steering wheel remote buttons are now working with the tablet!

edit: fixed link

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The Engineers at Jeep should be following this

This would be an amazing option for a new Jeep.

Program the trip in the comfort of the living room, and dock it to the vehicle. It could provide information on fuel usage / remaining, location beaconing (like APRS), etc.

Pretty awesome project! :bowdown:

Scott

theksmith

Explorer
This would be an amazing option for a new Jeep.

Program the trip in the comfort of the living room, and dock it to the vehicle. It could provide information on fuel usage / remaining, location beaconing (like APRS), etc.

Pretty awesome project! :bowdown:

Scott

thanks!

- i did make it easy to dock/undock for what you described. i bring it inside and set the areas i want to download maps for and also download my tracks to it the day before a trip. then the next morning, i just grab it and take it to the Jee, dock it, and off we go!

also its setup to realize when i'm near home (based on cell towers). if it's at home and i turn the Jeep off, it turns on WiFI, connects to my home network and starts an FTP server. that way i can push new MP3's to it from my desktop inside, or pull GPX's of the day's trail from it without having to even undock it and bring it inside.

- i'm just now looking at more OBDII integration. i just have the app TouchScan to pull/clear codes or get advanced diagnostic info so far. truthfully i don't need much with reagards to OBDII, the Jeep already supports the "key trick" to show codes in the gauge cluster, and the overhead console has MPG and Miles Remaining. it also has "real" gauges for oil pressure, temp and voltage instead of idiot lights, so it's pretty good from the factory.

- i do really want to figure out how to integrate it with APRS. it's the only thing going into this project that i am potentially losing from my old PC based setup. with a PC you can run Overland Navigator and integrate with a Kenwood radio for the beaconing. i didn't care too much though since i never actually upgraded my HAM rig to have APRS ;) it was always one of those to-do's that never got done. if anyone knows about any existing projects integrating HAM Radios and Android, please let me know!

- now that i have got the steering wheel buttons working and experienced a little Android development, i want to make a custom clinometer app. i don't like any of the ones that are available. i'm thinking of having it so a semi-transparent overlay of a clinometer can sit in a corner of the screen and always be visible.

theksmith

Explorer
2 minute mod... i got a new point-n-shoot camera and needed somewhere to stash it.

so i attached this little storage pocket:

IMG_0093.JPG

when it's zipped about a quarter of the way, i can slide the camera in and out easily but it won't go flying out on a turn or hill.

IMG_0107.JPG

the pocket is a $9 Case Logic camera holder from Walmart. all it took was 4 holes and 2 zip ties. oh and of course i had to cut the logo off.

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad