The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

theksmith

Explorer
Until the projector is installed, its still a sun shade. :) lol... just kidding, I love it.

How much space is inbetween the shell and the guts of the door? I'f there is enough space I'd love to do something funky with it myself.

;)

there's only about 1.5" between the interior plastic and the inside metal of the door, looks like it would be more, but the curve kills it. there are 3 large openings in the metal, 2 are where i mounted speakers and there is also a center one where the motor to release the window latch and latch assembly are.

88Xj

Banned
I just wanted to post up in here and thank you for the great build thread. Your rig is an inspiration even though I have an xj. Your whole idea behind building your rig is what made me decide to keep mine expo theme'd. All the small things you added, the fact that you still drive yours almost daily. Your build made me question ALOT of the things I "wanted" and made me realize it was a "want" and not a "need".
Great rig, I'm glad you post here, thanks for sharing.

theksmith

Explorer
I just wanted to post up in here and thank you for the great build thread. Your rig is an inspiration even though I have an xj. Your whole idea behind building your rig is what made me decide to keep mine expo theme'd. All the small things you added, the fact that you still drive yours almost daily. Your build made me question ALOT of the things I "wanted" and made me realize it was a "want" and not a "need".
Great rig, I'm glad you post here, thanks for sharing.

thank you for the most excellent compliment, it's always nice to know someone else appreciates "all the small things"!

88Xj

Banned
thank you for the most excellent compliment, it's always nice to know someone else appreciates "all the small things"!

It's deffinetely nice to see someone put all things into consideration as well. I've seen you post quite a few times about not having a tire carrier, or roof top tent or many other things with good reasons as to why it doesn't fit your build. I started thinking and honestly your right. I've no need for an extra few lbs behind the rear axle, a roof top tent or other cool gizmos. Sure they are cool, but I'd rather be practical.
I've gotta figure a way to incorporate your shower system since a nice cold or hot shower after a long day on the trail or hiking is nice. I think outside of that all I want is a winch and even that's up in the air. Would be nice but idk if i truly "need" it.

theksmith

Explorer
It's deffinetely nice to see someone put all things into consideration as well. I've seen you post quite a few times about not having a tire carrier, or roof top tent or many other things with good reasons as to why it doesn't fit your build. I started thinking and honestly your right. I've no need for an extra few lbs behind the rear axle, a roof top tent or other cool gizmos. Sure they are cool, but I'd rather be practical.
I've gotta figure a way to incorporate your shower system since a nice cold or hot shower after a long day on the trail or hiking is nice. I think outside of that all I want is a winch and even that's up in the air. Would be nice but idk if i truly "need" it.

well i'd like to have a winch, but fortunately there have only been 2 times ever that i really needed one. i'm just so darn particular about the bumper that i need to have one built to my design and i can't seem to save up enough at once to do that... all these other silly little projects call to me every time i have a couple hundred in the Jeep budget!

i also now want a tire carrier... i need the interior space now that my kid is old enough that other parents will let us bring one of his friends along camping for the weekend!

one good friend with an XJ has done many of the same trips as i have, and he doesn't even have a roof rack nor a tire carrier! he always has a huge chocolate lab with him and sometimes his son too, yet he manages. i think the universal law is that the more space you have, the more junk you'll find to fill it.

88Xj

Banned
well i'd like to have a winch, but fortunately there have only been 2 times ever that i really needed one. i'm just so darn particular about the bumper that i need to have one built to my design and i can't seem to save up enough at once to do that... all these other silly little projects call to me every time i have a couple hundred in the Jeep budget!

i also now want a tire carrier... i need the interior space now that my kid is old enough that other parents will let us bring one of his friends along camping for the weekend!

one good friend with an XJ has done many of the same trips as i have, and he doesn't even have a roof rack nor a tire carrier! he always has a huge chocolate lab with him and sometimes his son too, yet he manages. i think the universal law is that the more space you have, the more junk you'll find to fill it.

I like that last line, very true! For me my tire will sit in the rear for daily driving, the roof rack when I go camping I guess. Simple rack and bumpers. I also am very particular about that, and I prefer tube type bumpers, finally found 2 that are to my liking and 1 actually has a hidden which incorporated. I like the tube type stuff I guess because most people out here in the desert have "tube prerunner" bumpers and I wanted to incorporate that type of style to my desert expo rig.

Yours & other peoples nick nacks are keeping me busy myself, ALOT of stuff I like and stuff I use and such, their ideas or inventions just make it easier.

theksmith

Explorer
nothing much going on with the rig lately, i did have to replace the a/c clutch bearing this morning: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27924#post27924

CIMG3105.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
i run 3k intervals on standard dino oil, the lab report mentions 4,900 is the interval that their they are basing their average numbers on from all the samples they've gotten on that engine (grey column) - so most people must be running 5k intervals.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Just read this thread from the start. Wow, incredible Jeep, with pics and history to match.

You guys live in some fantastic places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad