The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

theksmith

Explorer
thanks for all the compliments!

One question I had with all your rock climbing, have you ever had issues hitting your gas tank??? ever think about cutting out the spare tire area and raising the gas tank mod?? I like what you did with yours with the batteries and air tank, I don't rock climb a ton at this point (not many rocks in Florida) - but fear I may regret if I replicate your spare tire use vs. raising my tank.

i know a lot of people do raise the tank, but it's just never really been a problem for me even with rock crawling so i didn't. i ********** my trailer hitch way before i would hit my gas tank on departures. once i get a rear bumper with integrated hitch (that sits higher), i may start scraping the tank skid more often. if i have to, i can add some thickness to the stock skid.

Sorry, a quick question a bit off topic....is there much difference between a 2002 and a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland?

not really. the front grill and foglights changed for 04. interior color options maybe too.

theksmith

Explorer
RTI ramp scores (same ramp each year):

in 2009 got a 790
in 2010 got a 1050
this year got an 1123

it's s'posed to be a 23* degree ramp but apparently it's bent a little, the angle finder said it was at 22*.
so my 1123 would convert to a 1230 on a standard 20* ramp.

both the front-right and left-rear started to lift right about the same time, so the suspension is well balanced front/rear i guess.

hunter_rti_ramp_2011_score-1123.jpg

and yes i realize this is expedition-portal, not rock-crawler world, and ramp scores don't mean a whole lot - but seeing the score improve is one way to know that at least none of my mods are hurting articulation. and as long as the jeep continues to perform as intended in other areas, then more articulation is a good thing!

i never intend to be able to run 4.5+ trails (unless i get a different expo rig)! but i love that the jeep continues to work well for expeditions, and yet i don't often have to worry about backing away from an interesting trail due to it being too difficult. every rig is a balance somewhere between drive-ability/comfort and capability/aggressive-looks. mine is somewhere near middle of that spectrum, leaning a bit further away from the drive-ability end. it suits me just right ;)

Last edited:

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
One reason I have always loved the ZJ's and WJ's! I miss my 96ZJ and how well it flexed and the ride quality. I am personally a fan of coil springs for the ride quality and great flex. MY guess is that you have a great quality lift plus the fact that you have coils all the way around the length of the WJ.

theksmith

Explorer
Number 7 helped me to fix some alignment issues today. we took the toe from 1/4" out to 1/8" in. we also found the rear axle to not be sitting square, and so lengthening the passenger rear lower control arm 1/4" inch fixed that. i still need to adjust drag-link slightly, maybe 2 turns should center the wheel perfectly.

it drove less twitchy on the way home at freeway speeds. the remaining slight wandering i believe is the result of my less-than-ideal caster (which is sitting at it's best compromise with pinion angle currently). hopefully one day i will stumble upon the money needed to convert to the Spyntec lockout hubs and can fix my remaining vibe and handling issues.

theksmith

Explorer
finally got to do a trip again! Calico, CA and other areas on the way to and from... check out the thread here (trip report starts on post #14): http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1633

even got to do some light snow wheeling:

P1140092.JPG

some of my faves that others took of my rig:

DSCN8916.JPG

DSCN8898.JPG

IMG_5656.JPG

and here's a pano i did from my first night's camp north of Joshua Tree NP in the Old Dale Mining District:

%255BGroup%25203%255D-P1140040_P1140049-6%2520images.jpg

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
I dig the Calico shots...especially seeing you go through Kramer's Arch. I remember my first time going through there as a total newbie (and probably still am!)...I was giddy as a kid on a roller coaster! Calico is nice & close and makes for a perfect one-night getaway!

I only had a 2" budget boost on my WJ in these pics. Like I've said before, there is SO MUCH inspiration around here...especially your rig...that makes me want to go crazy with mine!

Calico1.jpg
Calico2.jpg
Calico3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad