The Utilitarian-Camper 2nd Gen Tacoma

I have cable latches somewhat like that on my Leer topper and I think you will enjoy them. Easy to open from inside too.

Im ok with the cable latchign system. its just going to be easier for me to mount them. I just have seen so may nice looking tailgate/paddle latches I really like but most are not 2 point compatable. I really feel like I have to go with a 2 point latch system to be secure and durable. On a side note anyone have any recomendation for a good place to buy Rv windows? Id like to add a small one on the rear passenger side corner.

I'm selling my set of black steel wheels you see on the truck. Ive decided since the campers almost done I'd rather have the stock alloy wheels. Im looking for $350 for all 4 wheels, bedlined, with locking black lugs. Or Ill trade across for the factory wheels with lugs and $50

Cheers
Mike

Well I was wating to post until I figure everything else out but oh well.

The good news the welding is all done and I got it on the truck!

The bad news my welder some how added 5 inches in height when fabricating and I never bothered to thow a tape on it. (I dont even want to talk about it :( )

I have a few thoughts on how to lower it but it will require alot of cutting and more welding which I just don't have time for now so it will have to wait until I'm all settled in Colorado.

Huge bummer but oh well.

Now on to the pics.

Attachments

• photo 222.JPG
    photo 222.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 175
  • photo 3343.JPG
    photo 3343.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 198
  • photo33.jpg
    photo33.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 198
I have the rear door latch all working and the passenger side is almost done. I still have to do the drivers side and figure out the gas struts to hold the rear and side door open. Any recomentdations for a cheap place to pick them up? Allegis corp has them but I was hoping to find something less expensive. Im also in dire need of windows. I cant believe how expensive RV windows are? Any suggestions for those? even on ebay they seem spendy.

I also when back to the stock alloy wheels, It helps make the truck look less top heavy.

I'm really happy with the camper mounts, you cant even seen them.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    382.7 KB · Views: 156
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 161
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 160

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Really great stuff Mike!

You'll enjoy the extra height when living inside and for the big move. A cab over roof rack would be great or you could always mount a solar panel as a faring like I did :)

Love the driver's side door; wasn't expecting the hinge on the bottom. Can't wait to see the plan for interior layout.

Keep it up, see you soon!

It just gives you room for a rack on top of the cab!! :sombrero: Looks awesome!

That was my "compromise" but honestly the plan for this build was to have this be on the truck most of the time, not a camper but a sort of inbetween camper/canopy the extra height is just too much and will have to be fixed at some point. I would rather spend the time and money to bring it back down then add a rack. Either way though its been nice to have all the "extra" space. I went to the harware store today and threw a bunch of 10 foot 2x4s in the back and was able to close the back door:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach