The Utilitarian-Camper 2nd Gen Tacoma

I feel like I should maybe clarify part of my build as I have actually received a few different PMs from people asking about the camper.

The original plan was to make a replacement aluminum lid but I'm moving to Colorado in June and decided I just wouldn't have time to complete it in time. I'm utilizing the top section of the Flippac but with an all aluminum lower section that fits my flatbed and has the access doors/table. The camper I'm building will utilize the Flippac torsion bar, hinges, bow supports etc... I plan to try and utilize the same tent dimensions as the Flippac because I realize with the popularity of the Flippac its only a matter of time before there is a redesign of the tent material. I'm an outdoor industry product designer by trade so once I get a chance to settle down and the aluminum section of my camper is done I plan to give it a go. If something should come out in the mean time I'm ready to pull the trigger. I am however very picky about my builds and while I may not be as well funded as allot of the builds on here may be, I hope to utilize my design, engineering, and fabrication skills to offset most of the cost these "one off" type projects.

As most of you I'm impatient to see the results but unfortunately they do take time, insert sad face here.

Few more pictures to show how Im building the camper. I chose to break it down into separate panels so that I could use the bent edges are reinforcement. This should keep everything nice and rigid and I can keep most of the welds hidden.

Attachments

• IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 178
Some parts showed up today. After trying to remove the sail track from the flippac to reuse it I realized they used a crazy silicone and rivets to hold it on. It was impossible to remove them with out damage so the lower unit will have all new track.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 147

Clutch

<---Pass
Any plan in the future to mass produce it?

Wonder how much funding you could get, if you threw your ideas on kickstarter.

Kole

Adventurer
Something like that yes, however I woudl like to find one that has a "socket" that flush mounts to the camper and then the cable would have a 90 degree plug. Im hoping to route the aux battery cable I have thats under the flatbed up between the cab and the camper and essentially hide the power between the two. Something much exist like this..... I hope

Edit. this is the closest Ive been able to come but I need something that plugs in at 90 degree angle for clearence issues.

Hey I just ran across this on the Overland Expo site. Look at the connectors he has. I'm not sure if they are rated high enough but it may be a start.

http://www.overlandexpo.com/overland-tech-travel/2012/12/12/power-for-the-jatac.html

Those look nice! After a final review of my camper I think I have the main wiring figured out and it saves me from having to buy a special plug. Details on that later.

Well Here are few more pics of the progress. There is a bit more to do and then the doors. I hope to have all the welding done end of next week but will see.

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg