The War Wagon: A 2005 Toyota Tundra AC's transformation to Overlanding Rig

CrewServed

"That" guy
@stclair: Not planning on doing anything with the rear bumper for the time being. Mostly because there are no non-custom offerings on the market. I'll have to decide if it's something that I want/need for the future. I have spotted some folks here who've put armor on the *** ends of their rigs, but I don't know if I'll need anything like that. We'll see if I get super serious about this activity in the next year or so.

So the build will have to pause for the next couple of weeks, since I'll be in the Philippines doing some road tripping around Luzon. When I come back, though, that bumper and winch are going right the hell on, because it's driving me nuts to just stare at it hanging from my garage rafters, all painted and cured and ready to go!

Ah, and speaking of dangling from the rafters... When I hoisted up my sliders, I used lengths of 550 cord, and it was a mother to get it hoisted and tied off all by myself. Part of this is because I am not a rope jock, and the other part of it is that I was using 550 cord to hoist up steel sliders. This time, I created loops up in the rafters by using water knots in the 550 cords, and then used some ratchet straps and some carefully employed caribiners. Way easier. I'll snap a picture of my ghetto hoisting rig when I get home from work.

Alright gents, I'll be back in a couple of weeks and the build resumes!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
cool tundra. i just picked one up about two months ago and been trying to find more builds like yours. keep them coming. gives me lots of ideas

rickashay

Explorer
Great build! I drive an 04' Tundra for my DD/work truck. I just the the Bilstein leveling kit and am on 265/75s. They are awesome trucks and are so nice on the highway. Im always having thoughts of building mine up but the fiance shuts that idea down pretty quick.... this build thread doesnt help!

stclair

Adventurer
@stclair: Not planning on doing anything with the rear bumper for the time being. Mostly because there are no non-custom offerings on the market. I'll have to decide if it's something that I want/need for the future. I have spotted some folks here who've put armor on the *** ends of their rigs, but I don't know if I'll need anything like that. We'll see if I get super serious about this activity in the next year or so.

So the build will have to pause for the next couple of weeks, since I'll be in the Philippines doing some road tripping around Luzon. When I come back, though, that bumper and winch are going right the hell on, because it's driving me nuts to just stare at it hanging from my garage rafters, all painted and cured and ready to go!

Ah, and speaking of dangling from the rafters... When I hoisted up my sliders, I used lengths of 550 cord, and it was a mother to get it hoisted and tied off all by myself. Part of this is because I am not a rope jock, and the other part of it is that I was using 550 cord to hoist up steel sliders. This time, I created loops up in the rafters by using water knots in the 550 cords, and then used some ratchet straps and some carefully employed caribiners. Way easier. I'll snap a picture of my ghetto hoisting rig when I get home from work.

Alright gents, I'll be back in a couple of weeks and the build resumes!

Yep, I was just thinking I'll be adding one so I can have a swing away. You know, gotta have another spare, and place for fuel/water cans. Leaning towards a CBI something. I have Deaver building me be leaf springs now, and getting ready to order an ICON set up with some new UCA's as well. If I could only find a wheel I like! I have 16x7 Tundra steelies, but 16x8 would be better. Just can't make up my mind. How do you like those Wheelers steel wheels? I prefer OEM, but not sure if they'll work.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Yep, I was just thinking I'll be adding one so I can have a swing away. You know, gotta have another spare, and place for fuel/water cans. Leaning towards a CBI something. I have Deaver building me be leaf springs now, and getting ready to order an ICON set up with some new UCA's as well. If I could only find a wheel I like! I have 16x7 Tundra steelies, but 16x8 would be better. Just can't make up my mind. How do you like those Wheelers steel wheels? I prefer OEM, but not sure if they'll work.
All of these reasons for a swing-out are great, which is why I was looking into it, too. It's just a bastard trying to find something that doesn't have to be custom designed and fabbed. What I have found, though, is a company called TireGate that makes a neat-looking deal called a HitchGate. It doesn't look like it'll affect departure angle too horribly, and it's a pass-through hitch adapter design, so you'll still be able to put a recovery point or tow hitch/pintle on your rig. The Hitchgate looks like a great place to put a couple of jerry cans and a Hi-Lift jack, too. Those Deaver spring packs that you're getting ought to be able to handle all that load at that height and distance from the rear axle. I also think it'd be great to have an easy-to-reach spare, because lying on your back in the dust or mud to tug on a filthy spare tire sounds like it flippin' sucks.

The steelies I bought from Wheeler's are phenomenal. When they arrived, I was surprised to see that they're actually made by Pro Comp, and at the awesome price of $78 a piece, they were sort of a no-brainer for me. There was no rubbing at all during the shakedown run, so it seems that the 4" backspacing is just what the doctor ordered for my wheel/tire/suspension combination. I did have to buy new lug nuts since the OEM ones don't seat properly in the new wheels. Crap, now that I think about it, I don't know if the tire iron I have in my truck is the right size for the new lug nuts. I should probably check on that.

Oh, a quick question on lights. The Addicted Offroad bumper I bought was supposed to have light tabs welded on it, and whaddaya know, there's a distinct absence of light tabs. I've tried to contact AOR about it, but their silence is maddening. That said, I think I'm totally done trying to deal with those knuckleheads, and I'm gonna start looking at other options. The question is: do you guys have any experience with LED light bars? I was thinking about making a Satoshi grille and then hiding an LED light bar behind it, and mostly because I don't want to impede too much airflow around the radiator. Those large drive lights I see people using are great and all, but I think you guys know where I'm going with this.

Alright, fellas. Thanks for all of the comments. You gents have a way of making a guy feel less frivolous about the thousands of dollars I've already spent on this build, and for that, I thank you.

stclair

Adventurer
This was the set up on my old Syncro. Loved it!!! 4 cans, a spare and someplace for the Trasharoo. Would really like something like this on the Tundra as well.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Here we go, guys! Been back from the Philippines for a couple of weeks, and the build is underway again. Having an issue with the AOR crossmember at the moment, though. There's a lot of daylight between the crossmember ends and the frame. I don't know squat about welding, but my brother says he'll just fill the gap with material from the welder. Fingers crossed, guys!
tujepy9a.jpg

dyogim

Explorer
where in the bay area are located? I'm in concord/Antioch. One of your pics looks like it's at a safeway in concord under the BART tracks.

Awesome build!!!

CrewServed

"That" guy
where in the bay area are located? I'm in concord/Antioch. One of your pics looks like it's at a safeway in concord under the BART tracks.

Awesome build!!!

Spot on! I'm in Concord. You're related to Grant, aren't you? He and I used to work together until recently.

dyogim

Explorer
Spot on! I'm in Concord. You're related to Grant, aren't you? He and I used to work together until recently.

he's my bother. heard about the work stuff. we need to go on a trip. we have a good group of expo rigs in concord/walnut creek area. what other plans for the rig? I'm working on my storage/sleeping platform and a bunch of other stuff that never ends.

stclair

Adventurer
Glad to see you're adding to the thread again. Lots of great advice here for me...thanks! I just ordered my ICON suspension parts this weekend. I got the extended travel coilovers #58625, rear #57715(x2), ICON uniball UCAs #58470. Now I just need the Deaver leaf springs. Hoping they'll be done soon. I've decided to take your advice, and go with the Wheeler's steel wheels(type B), and think I'll add to that the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires. Now, just trying to decided if I bite the bullet and get a rear locker now, or wait. Already have an ARB compressor...so 1/3 of the way there. Really like the way your Tundra has turned out. Makes me more excited about putting mine together. Thanks again!

CrewServed

"That" guy
Addicted Off-Road Bumper Install.

he's my bother. heard about the work stuff. we need to go on a trip. we have a good group of expo rigs in concord/walnut creek area. what other plans for the rig? I'm working on my storage/sleeping platform and a bunch of other stuff that never ends.
Good stuff! I'd love to go on some runs with more experienced folks. As for future plans, I've got to install the winch and throw in a deep cycle battery. After that, I'll have to decide whether or not to add a leaf spring to the rear spring pack. The truck was sitting a little tail-heavy until I got the new bumper installed, and now it appears pretty close to level. I'll wait and see how it sits after the winch is in. To install that winch, though, I'll have to notch out or replace the grille to make room for the infeed/outfeed lever on top of the winch I have.

The rack I'm using to hold up the awning and the tent is not the final answer, either. I realized after my shakedown trip that I'll need some protection from the elements, and so I'm on the lookout for a roll-up tonneau cover, and I'll be taking a welding class so I can fab up my own cage/rack system for the tent. I've got to figure out a solution for storing spare fluids and parts and such, so a low-profile toolbox for the bed is in order. I don't know if I'll spend the time searching for one, or if I'll just buckle down and modify one to sit below the level of the bedrail.

@stclair: Wow, you really pulled the trigger on that suspension purchase! I'm glad to hear that you've progressed beyond the analysis portion of your build. Now comes the painful, frustrating, and most satisfying part of it.

-=-

Today, I got the bumper installed. Ran into some issues, but nothing my brother and I couldn't work past. As is to be expected, installing a new part kind of brought forth a new problem with an old part. It's all good, though. I'll just have to figure out some solutions to these new first-world problems. And speaking of first-world problems, the guys at Addicted Off-Road never responded to my query about the missing light tabs. This bumper might be the first and last thing I order from those guys. There was a two-month lead time from order to delivery, and then no light tabs (as advertised), and no follow-up. Your results may vary, but my experience with those guys has been a little crummy.

Everything's loaded up in the back of the truck to bring to my brother's shop.
bD4zP1wh.jpg

Got the plastic bumper cover off.
A7zhHX4h.jpg

Metal bumper is off, and now removing the existing crossmember.
wxohm5dh.jpg

Not sure what this little dingle-dangle is, but we covered it with foil to protect it from sparks and slag. Also, it mounted to the old bumper, so I had to find it a new home after the install.
WCKpblMh.jpg

These all-threads are what the old bumper was mounted to. I tried backing them out of their threaded holes, but then I ran out of f*cks to give, so I ground them flat.
cs85dgkh.jpg

Going in for a dry fit.
7JWMtnbh.jpg

Whoops! Need to take this little strut off. Nothing critical mounted to it, just the top edge of the plastic bumper cover.
x5Du6Lth.jpg

Now that's a dry fit!
lIc3bpUh.jpg

T3epmWkh.jpg

Uh oh, that's a lot of daylight between the crossmember and the frame. My brother just stitched it together and filled it with a LOT of wire.
RBf1E4eh.jpg

A little surface prep.
zEtJKqlh.jpg

We used these clamps to mark the bottom limit of the crossmember, and then just pitched the whole thing forward and backwards until everything was lined up, according to my highly calibrated ocular calipers.
DVDKuo0h.jpg

And then we got so busy that I stopped taking pictures. Here's an underexposed photograph of the final product.
hZIIP1Vh.jpg

Then I trimmed away some of the exposed wheel well liner and took another photograph where the dynamic range was too great for the iPhone's sensor.
e3JxeJKh.jpg

Notes on the bumper install:

1. One of the holes in the mounting plate of the bumper was not lined up correctly with the threaded hole on the cross member. We had to gore out the hole with a step drill bit, but after that, it was fine.

2. The clearance between the winch plate and the bottom of the grille on the hood is roughly 7.5". Account for this when choosing a winch, or just understand that it'll take some modification to make a taller winch fit in that space.

3. The bumper is heavy. Not so heavy that you couldn't move it around by yourself, but heavy enough that installation would have been a major PITA if my brother's shop didn't have an overhead hoist. And speaking of hoists...

4. Protect your finish with rags, the skin of your slain enemies, or whatever else is handy when hoisting this bumper up. I managed to booger up the super-awesome paint job during the installation today. I also touched up the super-awesome paint job with more of the hammered-finish rattlecan paint when I got home, but still, a little extra care goes a long way.

5. Use an angle finder or similar device. It's way better than eyeballing level and saying, "EhhhhhhhhhhhhhGOOD ENOUGH." Which I may have done. Okay, I definitely did.

6. I have the Off-Road TRD package, and one of the cool-guy OEM things that Toyota installed is a front skid plate. That skid plate mounted to the old cross member, so I'll have to solve that problem, but not right now.

dyogim

Explorer
Your mounting plate looks to be a bit higher than mine. overall, it looks ************!!!! I have the xrc10 model and had to modify my switch to clear the upper bumper support.

IMG00030-20100718-1449.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach