The "Well isn't that Clever" Thread

I added these lights to my shell. They are live well lights, submersible LEDs from a boat store online. I made some aluminum brackets to hold them. I also made an LED array for the stock shell light (you cant see it in the pic). Pretty easy and cheap to make. They all come on with the red switch. Instead of running wire from the truck battery I have a small 12v "house" battery in that box. It was scrounged from a verizon FIOS box. It is amazing how long those lights will burn with that battery, and its pretty small. I have seen similar ones in kids ride on toys. I have only charged it a few times in a year. I don't use the accessory outlet much but it will charge a phone. I may do a small solar charging system someday. It wouldn't take much. a tiny one in the shell window.IMG_2497.JPG

Silver dude

Xplorer
Dash mount power poles. Got sick of burning up accessory power plugs. Mounted one of these on the back wall for my fridge. As well as up front for my power inverter.

http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/powerpoles-chassis-mount-2-sets.html

xterrass038.jpg

Also interesting from that website is this automatic switch which you can set to turn off when the voltage falls to the voltage rating you set. Good for radios as you can leave them on all the time and won't come back to drained batteries. Probably also good for other devices I would imagine.

http://www.powerwerx.com/fuses-circuit-protection/automatic-power-off-switch.html

Last edited:

Silver dude

Xplorer
I don't know how clever this is its more taking a step outside of normal thought repurposing materials. I wanted a ambient temperature gauge inside my vehicle in digital form. Now this could of mean't a run to the dealership for a expensive rear view mirror with the temperature built in. But, I found a simple wireless indoor outdoor thermometer with a small monitor at the local hardware store designed for home use and installed it in the cab.

DSC09806.jpg

I mounted the sensor on the rack with velcro. This allows me to snatch it from the roof and toss it in my fridge. Allowing me to have a fridge read out from my drivers seat.

DSC09792.jpg

Last edited:

dzzz

^^^ does that turn on automatically?

edit:
I found the detail:

Sensor application light; lights up for 15 seconds when you open the drawer and goes out 5 seconds after you close it.

I can definitely see that in many places in a camper or trailer.

Viking Panels

Finding a Short in a Wire

One way to find a short, is by buying an auto-reset circuit breaker in the same amperage as the fuse that's blowing. If you can find one that fits in your fuse box, in place of the fuse, that's even better.

If it won't fit in the fuse panel, attach two leads to the breaker, and attach to the contacts in place of the blowing fuse. Have someone activate the circuit continuously if a momentary switch needs held/applied.

Get a quality compass, and start following the wire as the breaker trips and auto-resets. The needle will move each time there is power applied to the circuit. (creating a new magnetic field)

When the needle starts to move less and less with each cycle, you are within a few inches of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Roy

bobDog

Expedition Leader
One way to find a short, is by buying an auto-reset circuit breaker in the same amperage as the fuse that's blowing. If you can find one that fits in your fuse box, in place of the fuse, that's even better.

If it won't fit in the fuse panel, attach two leads to the breaker, and attach to the contacts in place of the blowing fuse. Have someone activate the circuit continuously if a momentary switch needs held/applied.

Get a quality compass, and start following the wire as the breaker trips and auto-resets. The needle will move each time there is power applied to the circuit. (creating a new magnetic field)

When the needle starts to move less and less with each cycle, you are within a few inches of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Now Thats Genius!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues