Tiger (GT and XL) Hunting

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Right, i would not consider a 2wd. Was AWD ever offerend in the older body style? If not, then it's a moot point. I guess it was probably just the sheet metal that changed, and the chassis didn't?

I should have originally framed the question as: Are all AWD Astros the same in terms of ease of lift and 4x4 conversion?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Right, i would not consider a 2wd. Was AWD ever offerend in the older body style? If not, then it's a moot point. I guess it was probably just the sheet metal that changed, and the chassis didn't?

I should have originally framed the question as: Are all AWD Astros the same in terms of ease of lift and 4x4 conversion?

Yes, the 1st Gen Astros came in AWD, HMR's Tiger for example. They are a much quicker/easier V8 swap, too (the Vancouver BC boys do it n a quick weekend.

The 1st Gen Astros also have noticeably more foot room around the dog house passengerside.

I couldn't tell you about ease of lift though, but i've not heard/read anything negative about lifting the 1st Gen.

You need to know this, though (if you don't already):
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624128

(This is not a thread hijack, we're just ******** chattin until the next Tiger Alert comes up.:coffeedrink:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
*Ahem*

Its not HMR's Tiger anymore honey. ;)

I'm thinking of painting it red and white and putting a big wheel and wing on it! :Wow1: :coffeedrink:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
*Ahem*

Its not HMR's Tiger anymore honey. ;)

I'm thinking of painting it red and white and putting a big wheel and wing on it! :Wow1: :coffeedrink:

Awesome. I didn't realize it was you guys that bought it! That is such a great rig, it's got half of Expo wanting a Tiger now. Keep the pics coming.:coffeedrink:

(BTW: Brian Rafalski is retiring due to knee and back issues. He's a stand up guy to walk away from $6m next year because he won't be quite 100%, and to let Holland know well in advance of the July 1 free agency dealings)

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Awesome. I didn't realize it was you guys that bought it! That is such a great rig, it's got half of Expo wanting a Tiger now. Keep the pics coming.:coffeedrink:

(BTW: Brian Rafalski is retiring due to knee and back issues. He's a stand up guy to walk away from $6m next year because he won't be quite 100%, and to let Holland know well in advance of the July 1 free agency dealings)

All in good time my friend! We are in the middle of planning and coordinating several projects for the Tiger and I'll be sure to update when we finally make some progress.

You know I hate to see him go, but Rafalski is a good example to me of why I still enjoy hockey over any of the other 'major' sports. The people are just real. Sure there are the superstars and the divas, but not like you see elsewhere. He's had a great career, and now would be the best time to do it for him and the Wings. Respect.

ihatemybike

Explorer
A 2wd is different; it has a different sub frame. No body lift, a coil spring lift instead. The reviews so far seems to be a pretty harsh ride and not all plush like the lifted awd, after a fight of a time getting the new coil springs in. So it's a much harsher ride and still only a 2wd.

The few guys that have swapped a 4x4 into a 2wd basically had to find a awd donor van for the project and have said they doubt they'd do it again. Even then, the sub frames are different for certain years, so not just any awd donor may work.

Need to chime in, the 2WD uses a sub-frame as well and body lifts in the front just as easily. Also, 4" lift spindle/knuckles are available. Both will not effect ride.

If you can find a AWD of a similar year, I believe swapping the sub-frame and related components would be pretty straight forward. That's my thoughts looking back and forth between Green and Grumpy. From my reading, it's trying to convert the 2WD designed stuff to AWD/4WD that becomes the headache.

A 2WD Tiger might do pretty good on fire roads, I'd want a limited slip in the diff though. I junkyard picked one about a month back out of an AWD, complete axle for $125. Look in the glove box on older van and the passenger door edge on newer for RPO code G80. (Would be a good upgrade for any off roading van that doesn't have it already.)

Last edited:

Ozarker

For those who have been putting up with all my questions, this seems like a real contender! I use to have an AWD Safari in the 90s, never knewI'd be interested in taking off like this or would have kept it! I was always afraid of the timing belt issues, I'm not a wrencher. As I recall, the V6 had plenty of power for the van, does the Tiger really bog it down that you need a V8 swap?

I'll be watching for the Tiger as well! Seems to fall into that "Is bigger better" question if it only had a diesel.....

Any other finds?

ihatemybike

Explorer
I've run several 4.3s well into very high mileage range, never had a problem with any timing chain. No timing belts here.

The Tiger pretty much maxes out the vehicle weight, trailers wouldn't be a good idea. The V6 can handle the vehicle's weight, but a V8 would be a little more fun.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Here's the latest find.
1999 Chevy Astro GT Tiger motor home - $15995 (Ft. Collins) said:
AWD with only 39,000 miles. Very clean. Air conditioner, heater, flat screen T.V.. Queen size bed, bathroom w/shower. Kitchen w/microwave and stove. Tail gate rack. New protable generator. It's ready to go camping. A&Z Import Auto Sales 970-407-1897

3ne3p73l55Y65V35W2b66c2139d5570761523.jpg
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/2424301577.html

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Tiger GT in Denver/Thornton - $4200:
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/2426733640.html

No affiliation, etc.
Looks like a "fixer" model to me. See the ad for pictures, but it looks like the forward "support" board for the pop-top needs immediate attention.

======
Ad Copy:
======
1989 Tiger Provan Camper/Van with Pop-up overhead.

Excellently designed Unit that gives the combination of reasonable comfort with good power and excellent gas mileage. With gas over $4/gallon in some places and headed to who knows what, this is a major attraction of this van. Consistently gets 16-18 mpg on the road. Will sleep 4 friendly people and one or two dogs. This is a great travel van; easy to maneuver and park in a city, and convenient for overnight (free)parking in a WalMart or Forest Service flat space. We spent about a month traveling to the East coast,4200 miles, and it did well with no problems. Also stayed at Steamboat in February and only paid $6 for two nights lodging. A little Spartan,but went to enjoy the skiing, not the motel.

We're selling because of health issues.

All systems work. Exterior is in very good condition with no rust or accidents. mechanically in excellent condition with excellent tires.

Some of the features of this van are:

Chevy Vortec 4.2 L engine that should be good for another 100,000 miles if taken care of. Transmission has been rebuilt and recently flushed.

With the pop-up facility it gets better gas mileage and can be put in most garages.

Specs describe the towing capacity as 5000 lbs(maybe in Florida) and 200 lbs on the roof. We have towed a small trailer and you don't know it's there. We've also velcroed and tied a cargo box on the roof and used a storage device that fits into the receiver.

RV features:

Fold out bed on main level; loft upstairs
Shower and toilet;
hot water;
3 burner propane stove;
3 way Refrigerator(Battery, electric, propane);
thermostat controlled interior heat.
Double stainless steel sink;
microwave.

Interior has some issues; mainly that the front hinged roof support has deteriorated and should probably be replaced. I've used it the way it is for the last year. Needs new Curtains. A/C could be recharged(blows cool; not cold); Front windshield has had a star crack that has spread to about 5" to the edge of the windshield that has been there for over a year. Fabric has some cracks where the material folds with the top down. They've been seam sealed and taped but are something that will probably need to be done yearly. Have tried to be as honest with you as I'd like a buyer to be with me. The above are the reason for the low price. Not sure what it sold for, but the seller were asking $12,000 for a similar Provan with AWD but twice the mileage.

Call 720-382-6063 or 303-450-2911. Cash only.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I bet the price is wrong.
89 Chevy Astro Tiger 52 said:
89 Chevy Astro Tiger conversion. 52,000 actual miles. 4.3 V6 Auto trans. All the basic RV anemities(fridge,micro,bathroom,stove,etc.) Runs and drives like new. Roof pops up approx. 2ft. Needs some work on the pop-up canvas and a good cleaning inside. Call 517-607-5214 before 6pm. Call 517-523-2516 after 6pm. No emails please.
3ne3k03l35O05U55R3b68605122cc16161929.jpg
http://jxn.craigslist.org/rvs/2428262755.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL