Tire Preference .... need some opinions.

86cj

Explorer
Just remember your AWD drivetrain will self destruct if you put a smaller size spare tire on the van, the locking diff and transfer case both will be mad at you, how long it would take?. The same size tire in different brands can very in diameter and revs per mile, more than one would think. A tire engineer told me they have seen up to .25 difference on the same carcass after tread, with .125 pretty normal, so a different brand can be even more or enough to make some AWD vehicles have problems. I am not saying a cheap used same size tire will blow up your drivetrain soon as you bolt it on, but you better get your matching flat fixed and back on ASAP. Some AWD vehicles can be affected by different tire pressures or a new spare combined with three worn tires of the same model, your drivetrain is all mechanical so it might tolerate more difference, you won't get warning light, just an angry growl from below then the bill.

Remember you did ask for opinions, LOL.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_6058.JPG
image.jpg
Been happy with these General Grabber HTS, load range e tires. They're quiet on the road, wear well, ride well, handle well, and are good in the snow/ice. I regret not having got 4 more at the time I bought them ($345 CAD for 4 + tax).

P tires wore crazy fast.

Last edited:

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Just remember your AWD drivetrain will self destruct if you put a smaller size spare tire on the van, the locking diff and transfer case both will be mad at you, how long it would take?. The same size tire in different brands can very in diameter and revs per mile, more than one would think. A tire engineer told me they have seen up to .25 difference on the same carcass after tread, with .125 pretty normal, so a different brand can be even more or enough to make some AWD vehicles have problems. I am not saying a cheap used same size tire will blow up your drivetrain soon as you bolt it on, but you better get your matching flat fixed and back on ASAP. Some AWD vehicles can be affected by different tire pressures or a new spare combined with three worn tires of the same model, your drivetrain is all mechanical so it might tolerate more difference, you won't get warning light, just an angry growl from below then the bill.

Remember you did ask for opinions, LOL.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would hope everyone with AWD drivetrain knows that. I think it's ideal to work that 5th tire in the rotation every 3k (generally speaking) for proper wearing of all tires of you have 5 wheels and 5 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philp100

Observer
I put a set of the toyo open country HT's on my '01 dodge 2500 when I had a long road trip a few years back. I really liked them! Very quiet on road, worked fine on gravel and forest service roads, great in the rain, not terrible in the snow. I put 30K miles on them before I sold the truck and they had lots of tread left.
www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-ht-highway-all-season-tires

The stock tires on my '15 Ram are the Firestone Transforce HT. They look really wimpy but work quite well so far. I have about 15K miles on them now.
http://www.firestonetire.com/tire/transforce-ht

Either one of these tires would be great for OP's stated goals. I would definitely go with an LT tire but perhaps only in a load range D instead of the load range E for the van.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Does everyone tend to run LT tires load range E ?

I know my goals are a bit different than 75% of people on the site, but I want to make the right decision. As Rruff stated my P rated at 2500 lbs @ 36psi is plenty for me holding less than 800 lbs at all times with a lot of highway driving. Kind of torn what to do with the facts for 86Cj.

Also this might be a stupid question, but this is my first AWD vehicle , but do the tires tend to wear faster AWD compared to RWD?

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
84f8523e916800310fa823581a04fe27.jpg
75cc3edce54f7866088f078432cc0dbb.jpg

This is what I have on there now. I know they are not good tires with no life really left on there and are LT's however I just did a 2500 mile trip from New Jersey to Florida and Back at approx speed at 80/85mph and it was a smooth soft drive believe it or not with about 1,500 Lbs loaded. If these whooped tires did well I think any of the tires above would be a whole lot better

wjeeper

My AWD Express came with some P-rated tires. Had a nail in them within a few weeks of ownership new LT tires havent had any yet (may just be luck, or the thicker carcass deflecting the nails better, who knows?) sold them to my brother on the cheap. He has already replaced two within a year: one due to a sidewall injury and one due to tread separation.......zero offroad use.

Now they were no name (Sailun) p-rated tires, but I did replace them with Wild Country LT load range E (Les Schwab) tires........so maybe somewhat of an apples to oranges comparaison

rruff

Explorer
Sorry I thought they were (LT) from the marking on the tires next to the 245

I take that back, you are correct! These are different than what I see listed online for that tire. It says on the tire, it's an LT with 120/116R load rating. What is the max psi?

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
I take that back, you are correct! These are different than what I see listed online for that tire. It says on the tire, it's an LT with 120/116R load rating. What is the max psi?

80 Psi. I believe I had them at 60 when I set sail for my trip. They are whooped as you could see

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
psh, them tires aint whooped in my book. truck tires go to wearbars or until dryrot. unless were having a bad winter of course, but timing has been good last few years. race tires go till cords show. they never last long enough to dryrot, lol.

and x2 on same size tires from different manfs. they will NEVER be the same from one to the next. just a fyi, there is no regulations on tires whatsoever when it comes to sizing or treadwear. its all a matter of manufacturer opinion. makes tire shopping a huge pita, especially when space is limited.

86cj

Explorer
Does everyone tend to run LT tires load range E ?

I know my goals are a bit different than 75% of people on the site, but I want to make the right decision. As Rruff stated my P rated at 2500 lbs @ 36psi is plenty for me holding less than 800 lbs at all times with a lot of highway driving. Kind of torn what to do with the facts for 86Cj.

Also this might be a stupid question, but this is my first AWD vehicle , but do the tires tend to wear faster AWD compared to RWD?

As always I dont mind helping you out if I have good info...
yes a D load range tire is also better than a P tire, I had a set of goodyear GSA in D that held 3000lbs at 65 psi a great tire. Most D tires are rated at 65 psi and E are load rated at 80psi, LT tires pick up way less nails and screws as observed many times.

Tire tread and price are subjective but since I have been so opinionated, I will mention my BFG A/T's have 50,000 now and have an unbelievable amount of tread left. All my GM IFS vehicles have had almost perfect wear even at 10,000 mile rotations, the AWD Van seems to be no different. I have ran the BFG A/T for decades and get 70-80,000 even on heavy vehicles with IFS 4x4, they get dry after about 4 years and dont work as well in the rain and ice, deep water performance is still good. On a heavy vehicle they dont stuggle for traction so it is a non issue, my ZR-2 it is noticeable but the deep snow and slush they work great still. Your AWD Van it does not break traction unless you get crazy behind the wheel no matter what tires you put on it, with good A/T's if it spins you are going forward, street tread not so much. I am not saying you have to buy BFG A/t's but remember Ford bought the cheapest tires Firstone would sell them for the explorer and the word Ford Exploder became a thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3