Tool Development in Progress

Geodoc

Adventurer
Well, that's certainly not the waffle making ray gun I was hoping to see :sombrero: Nice looking product Tiktaalik.

Honu

lost on the mainland
really you ask WHY ?

how about you put in a forum rule that vendors should not call members ***** or foolish or if they do apologize ! because they started a worthless post about NOTHING but asking for our info
especially for questioning a product they refuse to say what it was !! so we poke fun
and he finally comes back just to post we are ***** and foolish !

guess if vendors can say that about forum members we have the right to stand up to it !!! and he still refuses to apologize that he called us forum members that ! classy vendor there for sure !

how about starting a vendor area where they can post there product that has no contribution to what the forum should be about ? in this case not only not saying anything about it but in the wrong forum area ! where it should have been in the overland chef area ! when asked still refused but still wants us to sign up ! YEAH snake oil time !!!

best yet make a rule vendors can not start any thread about there product same as many now who post a review only to post a link to there blog !
quite a few I know are getting a bit burnt out on this and what its becoming

how about contact the OP and set some ground rules as to how to treat members and posting good info to begin with !

Let's keep it classy guys. Why all the hostility?

ripperj

Explorer
Gotta agree on the number of posts that pretend to be a consumer review, but are just links to a blog trying to sell you stuff

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

chris snell

Adventurer
With all due respect Scott, the original poster has posted 49 messages since he signed up. Since I like to do my own market research with a couple of clicks on a few links I see that all but 3 or 4 of them are either directly related to selling products or barely disguised efforts to obtain marketing feedback on potential products to resell. Fjallraven products being one rather obvious example.

Carl, the owner of Tiktaalik, is a well-respected member of a several of Land Rover- and expedition-related forums including this one, and posts non-business-related discussion under his personal account. Yes, his Tiktaalik posts do read a bit like those of a marketing executive but you're free to not click them. I'd say that they neatly balance out the endless cheapskate hack-job check-out-my-Sterilite-kitchen-build posts that many of us skip over.

As for Tiktaalik, their products are gorgeous. The pieces are expensive because it costs a lot of money to execute at his level at small scale. This gear is priced out of the typical ExPo budget but there are people here who do appreciate the quality so how about keeping the low-brow criticism to yourselves?

troyboy162

Adventurer
Doesn't anyone read "The Emperor's new clothes" anymore? I still say this is all healthy. Carl will read his audience and costumer base better at his next interaction or take the business where no one dares to say the emperor isn't wearing anything. Thats a win/win in my book.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I find it quite discouraging that some of the folks posting here are so quick to poke fun and take shots at this guy from the safety of the keyboard. Based on the thread so far, no one here that I can tell has purchased any of his products or know him personally but are at ease putting him and his business venture down because of a promotional post he made to allegedly like-minded individuals. I agree that $20 seems like a lot for a bottle opener, but I bet a couple of you would spend twice that much if it had Snow Peak stamped on it.

I've traveled quite a bit in the last 40 years; border to border, coast to coast, and several places abroad. In all my travels, the true adventurers/explorers I've bonded with in the backwaters of the world act like gentlemen, not obnoxious teenagers. Pretty sad and one of the reasons I'm growing tired of this forum...
Post of the month.

Jakes01234

Explorer
Make sure you post more info when you can.
Also I'm going to order a 20 dollar bottle opener to open my 2 dollar beer. I try to support small American business the best I can.
Most people here probably spend more than 20 a week on coffee. (I do )

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Wow... that escalated quickly. At least the OP came back to finish what he had started.

:REOutShootinghunter

Scott Brady

Founder
I find it quite discouraging that some of the folks posting here are so quick to poke fun and take shots at this guy from the safety of the keyboard. Based on the thread so far, no one here that I can tell has purchased any of his products or know him personally but are at ease putting him and his business venture down because of a promotional post he made to allegedly like-minded individuals. I agree that $20 seems like a lot for a bottle opener, but I bet a couple of you would spend twice that much if it had Snow Peak stamped on it.

I've traveled quite a bit in the last 40 years; border to border, coast to coast, and several places abroad. In all my travels, the true adventurers/explorers I've bonded with in the backwaters of the world act like gentlemen, not obnoxious teenagers. Pretty sad and one of the reasons I'm growing tired of this forum...

My sentiments exactly. Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

Rumline

Observer
Drama aside, I will keep an open mind about these knives, but I'm wary of how much the asking price will be given the statements above. I also lurk on BladeForums and there are some pretty awesome knifemakers over there who make kitchen knives. If these get into custom or hand-forged knife territory $-wise then I'm out.

I seriously hope that a lot of thought goes into a sheath or storage system for these knives. If you have a trailer or RV then you can have a knife block, drawer, or magnetic strip to hold your knives, but for other camping users, a compact and robust storage system would be very handy and help differentiate this product in the market, IMO.

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Apart from the attempt at fishing for people information on the "Big reveal" of something to come, when they were actually revealed, I can't help but think: Aren't those just unfinished, unpolished knife blanks?

Last edited:

redneck44

Adventurer
He pulled a similar trick when asking for views on FjallRaven clothing.
Staretd the thread asking for reviews, part way through the thread announces he's an expo vendor and is selling the stuff, a subtle/poor way of spamming.
Nothing too impressive about a knife blank with a deburred handle either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach