Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles: Do you agree?

What a great list! It's nice to see something I would not consider, such as the Suzuki.
In regards to an "overland" vehicle, I always thought a standard cab, older, 2WD, long bed Toyota with a tall aluminum cap and some AT tires is a great travel vehicle. (or, gosh, a homemade plywood cap!) With upper 20's (possibly 30?) gas mileage and good enough for dirt road travel, it would be a fine vehicle. Maybe a locker diff, a good compressor and some manual recovery gear would add some security.
I'm envisioning some long highway runs, then deep local exploring, before the next trip leg. While I have always liked the extended cab Toyo 4 x 4's, the 2WD is economical to purchase and run.
But as stated elsewhere in this thread, it's not the vehicle, but the trip. I've got a VW Vanagon Westfalia and see people with few funds focused on getting one for a x-country trip. Better served by a mini-van with a mattress in the back and spending the saved funds to actually take the trip!
Happy trails!

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
I'll consider it a compliment to my trusty Xterra that there has been virtually no debate about its inclusion on the list ;)

Sent from my Newton

Scott Brady

Founder
In regards to an "overland" vehicle, I always thought a standard cab, older, 2WD, long bed Toyota with a tall aluminum cap and some AT tires is a great travel vehicle.

Agreed. There are not many fair-weather routes you couldn't take in that vehicle (mud and snow being the only issue).

jmodic

WOW, Just read the article in Jalopnik! I am glad it was posted there otherwise I would have never know about this great forum. A few like the Toyota's and Rover were obvious picks in mind too but, a Suzuki and a certain Jeep surprised me....Scott I like to see your thoughts on "10 Best New Vehicles for Exploring the World" ...Again, Great site glad I found it.

thairish

Observer
Please help us understand why safety is never considered a 'critical attribute'. It was/is for some of us when buying. If not mistaken, this (safety standards) is a significant reason why some otherwise capable and desirable ROW trucks (Defender, LC70, HiLux, etc.) were not imported into certain markets in the first place, such as the US. Fundamental issue.

Last edited:

dallas

1999 Discovery 2 very little problems, never been stranded due to mechanical brake down. 250'000 km. Common problems with front driveshaft, 3 amigos, easily fixed. The door lock actuators did also need replacement at this mileage. Great ride, great comfort,great off road. No head gasket problems. I think only picking the 2004 or last year is a mistake, if anything the bigger engine runs more risk of slipped liners. While the Disco will be more work than a Toyota truck, there is great support online and if you know the few problem areas this makes a superb overland vehicle. The frame and suspension will take a beating that others can only hope for.

4low

As an ex owner of an 01 regular cab Tacoma, I can say they can be quite "interesting" driving on icy roads. I had an ARE shell with a cargo basket on top and I think 2-3 action packers full of gear in the bed. 30+mph winds on icy roads with AT's, the *** end never wanted to hook up. Aleros and mini-vans were passing me and laughing. However, it is very durable and fun truck to drive on trails, prepare to have your bones rattled on the rough roads! Every vehicle has its pros and cons and are some are more applicable to certain tasks. I chose to trade the Tacoma in on a stock FJ with lockers and A-trac. I went up and played on snowy mountain roads with a buddy driving a wrangler with 6" of lift and 34" super swampers. We were both impressed with it's capability although it was on 3 wheels quite often. :D IMO it comes down to driver skills and prediction.

beverly

null
Another idea is the old AWD Honda Civic wagon. Hondas have many interchangeable parts between models and years. They have to be littered all over NA, in one form or another. Not luxury, but I'd imagine they'd do fine on kept gravel roads.

This thread has been a good read, as I am deciding which route to go for my vehicle. I won't be over landing, so spending the time and money to build a "true expo" rig seems like a waste. The ease of buying something simple and under rated (such as an AWD Civic), is tempting.

trooper25

ssbsh21
I am curious why you stated this in one post

"From 1999 until 2004, my trusty 1998 Isuzu Trooper was my expedition and exploration vehicle. This vehicle has proven to be completely reliable, requiring no repairs and minimal service. I still drive to unit, though more as a support vehicle now. Even with over 90k miles it is solid and rattle free (with the exception of the rear ambulance doors). One interesting durability note, is that I have never changed the brakes . They still have sufficient pad life left for another 10k miles... amazing.
The vehicle is also very capable off-highway with the long travel rear suspension and tight G80 limited slip.
I would go so far as to say the 1998-2002 Trooper is the best expedition vehicles platform value in the US. Low resale values make them a steal.

But do not include the trusty trooper in any other post including this one when it comes to good overlanders? I know I am a little biased because I am an owner of a trooper but I have owned various jeeps and toyotas and the trooper is by far the best ive ever owned. Now I dont ask this to be an ***, I ask this because as I said I am a trooper owner and am curious if there something I should know besides the lack of parts available before I sink to much money into this thing. (oops to late)

zolo

Explorer
I am curious why you stated this in one post

"From 1999 until 2004, my trusty 1998 Isuzu Trooper was my expedition and exploration vehicle. This vehicle has proven to be completely reliable, requiring no repairs and minimal service. I still drive to unit, though more as a support vehicle now. Even with over 90k miles it is solid and rattle free (with the exception of the rear ambulance doors). One interesting durability note, is that I have never changed the brakes . They still have sufficient pad life left for another 10k miles... amazing.
The vehicle is also very capable off-highway with the long travel rear suspension and tight G80 limited slip.
I would go so far as to say the 1998-2002 Trooper is the best expedition vehicles platform value in the US. Low resale values make them a steal.

But do not include the trusty trooper in any other post including this one when it comes to good overlanders? I know I am a little biased because I am an owner of a trooper but I have owned various jeeps and toyotas and the trooper is by far the best ive ever owned. Now I dont ask this to be an ***, I ask this because as I said I am a trooper owner and am curious if there something I should know besides the lack of parts available before I sink to much money into this thing. (oops to late)

Not to speak for Scott but that is a quote from very early on in the whole US ExPo thing. Back when Expedition West was first starting if I'm not mistaken.
I agree for room and for value they are great, however a lot of trucks have come out since and it makes a top 10 ever changing and hard to nail down.

I personally think a Land Rover D1 should be a consideration simply because they are so very easy to fix. Its a very mechanical truck. The ignition system is simple and trans and t-case are strong and last a long time. They have fewer head gasket issues than D2s. The D1 is a great truck for the $.

Many folks are scared of them (old Land Rover's) due to lack of understanding and knowledge. But if you are at all serious about traveling by vehicle, ANY..vehicle. One should be well suited to mechanics and fixing things no matter the make or model. A simple, non electronic and more mechanical truck is easier to diagnose and repair.
As a I am a mechanic by profession. I prefer more mechanical vehicles for this reason.

So a D1 is simple, they don't require a scanner to diagnose or reset and they are easy to repair most times. And easier to diagnose.
If its not running it is missing 1 of 3 things. Fuel, Air(reading) or spark. So you have a base line, start working.

All I'm saying is that many vehicles don't make the list. For most folks reliability is #1. For me fixability is #1.

All this being said I believe the 100 is in the well deserved #1 spot.
If they only would have put the starter in a different location it would be the perfect truck really.:)

jeepinspence

Newb here starting on my bucket list. I've loved the thought of capable expedition vehicles since I was child watching safari shows and movies and drooling over FSJs, Land Rovers with the tire on the hood, and old Army Jeeps traversing the trails out west. Being a central Illinois native my experience is severely limited to farm fields, muddy country roads, and blizzards.

I've seen owned numerous 4x4s over the past 30 yrs including FSJs, Ford and GMC trucks, big Broncos, and most recently Jeep TJs.

At this time and ive narrowed my hunt to late model Jeeps. We are going. To have to travel extensively to find trail running shoes to get our feet wet. We're thinking of making the rounds of Camp Jeep for the first year or two before tackling the Rubicon and Moab then on from there.

I'm thinking late model low mile Liberty, Patriot, or a slightly older WK even though their reliability frightening ens me. Looking for the most bang for the buck Jeep and at this point is its most likely a Liberty or Patriot. My questions are 1 is the Trail rated Patriot worth the trouble of finding one? They seem to be extremely rare on the used car mkt wheras the 4x4 is an easy find and not saddled with a CVT. The Liberty seems to be screaming deal but not sure about long distance comfort, mpgs, and aftermarket support. Is the Patriot wtout enough to handle the easier paths over the Rubicon and Moab? I'm sure they're fine for camp Jeep but the Trail rated vs FDI debate has me scratching. My budget is preferably sub 20k including tires, tow points, and equipment and this rig will need to be a daily driver/grocery getter as well.

Any thoughts/advice are most welcome! :)

Thanks!
Spence<><

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I have no idea why you're overlooking the Ulimited Jeeps and the newer Wranglers. IME, the "other" Jeeps are in name only, and have been huge dissapointments offroad in my area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk