Toughbook CF-29

pb_beaker

Observer
I have been looking at toughbooks lately and found some cheap refurbished ones. Who out there has a CF-29 and can you tell me how its working for you? Have you had any issues with it on the trail, etc.

dsy

Adventurer
I picked up a refurbished one and it has been great so far. Touch screen, sunlight readable, backlit keyboard, and built to take the abuse it gets.

Last edited:

howell_jd

Adventurer
I use the ToughBook series extensively. My work with the US Army Engineer Research and Development Center makes use of the ToughBooks in various configurations for military applications. I used ToughBooks when deployed in Iraq. They are reliable and forgiving of "oops" situations if a bit short of memory and storage capacity in "stock" form. Buying a used one certainly offers the opportunity for upgrade for a substantial reduction in investment. I don't personally know of a more rugged laptop computer which has been "real world" (i.e., my world - military battlefield demands) tested.
Jonathan

1speed

Explorer
I've been using mine for about a month now, so far so good. I need to build a permanent mount now.

P2060003.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Another of the refurbs in my truck too. Ran without a hicup all through Moab and back. It is in my daily driver. I would not go without it.
The Laptop it replaced was great, but this CF-29 is better.

rtreads

Do you have GPS on it? Is it the OEM PGS unit? What software do you use? I have been curious as to what software to use in a cf-18 for off highway use in my EB. Good to see others are trying vehicle mounted toughbooks!!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Do you have GPS on it?
I use a USB Earthmate receiver
Is it the OEM PGS unit?
I do not know what PGS unit means
What software do you use?
I use Delorme's Topo 8.0 Easy routing for vehicle, aircraft or hiking. Using the subscription you have unlimited USGS, Satellite, and aerial maps.

I have had a laptop in my truck using this combination for over seven years now. The laptop is now a Toughbook, the mount has changed to the Jeniko and the maps have gone from Streets to Topo, but the basics are all the same. Easy and it just works.

Last edited:

wikid

Adventurer
I really like the way you mounted your laptop. I'm going to try and fab up something like that for my FJ
thanks for the great idea
Don

Smksignals

Explorer
For those running Topo 8 on the CF-29, how is it running? Isn't the processor and ram under powered for this program?

Thx ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach