Trailer Brakes???

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I am hoping to use a rover axle on my project..... and would like to use the disc/calipers that are on a rover. So here is my question...... Is there a devicce that is electronically controlled(as to use the wiring I have now) that can trigger hydralic flow and act as the brakes normally would? I know you U-haul has a system based on mechanical leverage...but that wouldn't work..

My idea would be have a eletric triggerec arm that pushes a plunger..Much like a master cylinder, to apply the factory rover brakes. is there anything like this? I wouldn't imagine it would be to hard to build but any assistance would be great!

Thanks again,
Aaron

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
You could probably rig something up with a linear actuator pushing a MC, but that would be a PITA. Electric drum brakes on trailers are proven and simple.

The Uhaul system is called a "surge" or "impulse" brake. It uses the inertia of the trailer to push the piston of a MC. It's a little jerky. I'd rather have a proportional electric brake controller.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Funrover said:
I am hoping to use a rover axle on my project..... and would like to use the disc/calipers that are on a rover. So here is my question...... Is there a devicce that is electronically controlled(as to use the wiring I have now) that can trigger hydralic flow and act as the brakes normally would? I know you U-haul has a system based on mechanical leverage...but that wouldn't work..

My idea would be have a eletric triggerec arm that pushes a plunger..Much like a master cylinder, to apply the factory rover brakes. is there anything like this? I wouldn't imagine it would be to hard to build but any assistance would be great!

Thanks again,
Aaron

I think it would be a really interesting project to see if it could be done. You would need it to get DOT approved to make it a commercial venture, but for your own use it might be fun.

Why not turn the problem sideways a little and see if you could fit electric brakes to the Rover axle. All the parts are available from your local trailer store. With a little machining I think you could make a fit.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Welll I kind of want to keep rover parts.... The reason behind that is just incase something on my rover breaks I have a spare!!! I can always disconnect the brake part if I need to switch a caliper or something..But if nothing breaks I will have great brakes!! This is my goal!

Section 8

Observer
A Dexter electro/hydraulic actuator.

Nothing in a trailer is very sofisticated, and it would be easy to "rig up" your own system. However, traveling down the highway puts other at risk. A failure of your own bodged system will gaurentees liability even with the best defence if it comes down to it.

Nothing I have seen on the boards, but some of the junk (cars/trucks/trailers) I have seen on the road around here makes me less critical of people who drive 1 ton trucks daily...

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Section 8 said:
A Dexter electro/hydraulic actuator.

Nothing in a trailer is very sofisticated, and it would be easy to "rig up" your own system. However, traveling down the highway puts other at risk. A failure of your own bodged system will gaurentees liability even with the best defence if it comes down to it.

Nothing I have seen on the boards, but some of the junk (cars/trucks/trailers) I have seen on the road around here makes me less critical of people who drive 1 ton trucks daily...

That is awsome.... but at $613+ I will keep looking in hopes of something better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__

Members online