Trailer Lid idea

msand1977

Observer
I was looking at AT's new Oasis Trailer, and noticed that it was made of fiberthane. That got me thinking that stuff might make a good strong lighweight lid for an M416. What do you guys think?

1speed

Explorer
I've been looking at this material for a future project. I have a sample of it I've been playing with and I think it would require a lot of bracing to prevent it from sagging. Ask AT what they think.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The entire lid can be made of Fiberthane.

The material does flex, so an internal structure would be needed to give it strength and rigidity.

This can be done by creating bows inside the lid made from Fiberthane.

The end result would be a lightweight, strong, rigid, structure.

If you send me sketches I'd be glad to quote you on it. If we got a group order together we could amortize the design and CAD costs over the production run.

We could keep the individual sheets down in size by step cutting the top and making it out of two pieces.

telwyn

Adventurer
Depending on the design and quote, I'd certainly consider being part of a group order for an m416 lid.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
I would be very interested as well. Could this carry weight for a RTT or bike mounts, etc?

Would this be something that could be shipped knocked down? Just thinking to save shipping costs.

Martyn

How much does a sheet of fiberthane cost? I was thinking a simple flat lid maybe 3/4" thick

Fiberthane comes as an un-coated product, and it's definitely something you don't want to work with by hand, it's made from urethane and fiberglass. We finish it in linex.

The issue with a single sheet is wouldn't provide any rigidity, it would be difficult to seal against the trailer body, and it would be difficult to hinge.

A sheet of marine plywood to achieve your goals, be less expensive and available locally to you.

I'm more interested in producing a true lid that can be shipped in knock down format.

msand1977

Observer
Plywood would probably work better for me, but I hope I have spurred some creativity in a new product you could produce. Thanks for your replies, cant wait to see what you come up with

d0ubledown

Observer
i used good ole steel sheet for the skin and some 1X1 and 1X2 for the bracing. the lid was formed to make it 4" high and domed at the top for extra strength and to drip water easier. hinged with 3 SS HD needle bearing door hinges. it weighs in at about 100ish lbs. welded in some notched 1X1 for gutter mounts for my thule roof rack.

would have liked to use aluminum, but this was a budget build, and could not put that much money for the trailer lid which would be purely off road use, so it'd get dirty & beaten..etc.

Martyn

Can you supply me with the outside dimensions of the top of the main box on the M 416 and the Canadian 101.

If we can get 3 people to measure their trailers we can get a statistical average.

Pull 3 measurements, two outside and one middle.

Anyone wants to pull diagonals? It would be great to get measurements off a trailer that was still square.

I have the design drawn out, once I get measurements I can calculate costs.

Tight_wad

Adventurer
I don't need a top anymore, but since I did a lot of measuring to get mine right:

picture.php

Bed measurements were done with the bed mounted, widest measurement used for sides and ends, only a 1/16 inch variance ( 3 measurements per ). My diagonals were exactly dead on. My actual lid measurements are in my build photos.

Hope this will help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven