Trailers, RTT and Bears

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I stand corrected, we are allowed rifles if you apply for and get a firearms acquistion certificate. Handguns are also allowed if you get a permit. Then I believe you must store them safely at home and they require a permit to take to a firing range and that permit allows transport there and back home. Since I don,t own a handgun and when the FAC came in I got disgusted and gave my old 22 away there may be a bit more to the rules.

Yep giving away your guns is a sure way to keep those gun rights.....?

you guys actually need a permit to transport a gun you have a permit for???? OMG. The Aussies have the same rules....must be something to do w/ those past associations w/ England...u know celebrating the queens birthday and her being on the money and all that.

Bears are the least of the problem.

Happy to be in the USA

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Actually, I was talking to a friend who's a weapons trainer for a police force in the US, and he suggested an 870 as being the most versatile/reliable/affordable weapon to have for home defence/animals/zombies. Not sure which would be the best load for bear... 000 or slug?

To be completely frank, I don't *get* the deal in national parks. Last summer we went up to Algonquin park, and were warned that there were bears around, coming into the campsites. They said there were a number of 150lb ones that weren't a big problem, but there was one 400 pounder that they were concerned about. I asked what we're supposed to do if we were awakened, in the morning to a bear sniffing around outside, should we make noise to scare it away? No, she said that might startle them and cause them to attack. I said we had a dog, who might bark, she said that's not good. We had no real clear idea what the answer was.

I don't know why they don't just shoot them. I understand some people might not like it, but... black bears are not endangered, and this association of people to food is not good. The 150lbers are just a nuisance, but 3-400lbs becomes a real problem.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yep giving away your guns is a sure way to keep those gun rights.....?

you guys actually need a permit to transport a gun you have a permit for???? OMG. The Aussies have the same rules....must be something to do w/ those past associations w/ England...u know celebrating the queens birthday and her being on the money and all that.

Bears are the least of the problem.

Happy to be in the USA

Not exactly. First, no permit needed to transport a non-restricted long gun. The rules for those are little different than your own.

And it has nothing to do with England, more to do with a civilized society that does not see a net benefit to rampant gun ownership. We're allowed to use guns for hunting and defense in the wilderness. We're not really allowed walking around with handguns, or long guns in the city, etc... but then... we're VASTLY less likely to have any violence problems in our cities.

hugh

Observer
When in Rome do as the Romans do. If I lived in the States I would definitley own a handgun. What I have living here in Canada is a pellet gun I take with me for fun plinking, basically see who can shoot the can the farthest away. Not in our provincial campsites though, the conservation officers would have a fit, but thats why I built my Jeep to get away from the crowd. As far as bears go, common sense and caution go a long way. Over the years I have had many close encounters with black bears here in Manitoba and brown bears in Alberta. I have never met anyone who was hurt by a bear but it does happen, and when it does it makes the news. Usually the cause is the humans fault for encroaching on the bears habitat or getting to close or between a mother and her cubs. Grizzles and polar bears are different, they have no fear of us and we appear as food to them. A good friend worked way up north and he easily got a license to carry a 357 magnum and an 8mm rifle because of polar bears. Another friend of mine tried to paddle the Northwest Passage by kayak a few years ago and you can bet she carried a shotgun with slugs and took shooting lessons before leaving. Thats the common sense thing.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
When in Rome do as the Romans do. If I lived in the States I would definitley own a handgun.

Sounds about right. When in the U.S. you need a hand gun because of all the gun crazed people running around with guns.

I jest, I jest, I'll be here all week.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Sounds about right. When in the U.S. you need a hand gun because of all the gun crazed people running around with guns.

I jest, I jest, I'll be here all week.

I don't think it's that far out of line. I was talking to Mike, and he told me he doesn't come to visit me in Windsor often because he hates having to leave his gun at home. Feels naked. It kinda struck me "so, you mean when we go place in MI, you're always packing?" "Yeah". Woah. Then he took me to the shooting range one night, and I got to try my hand at it. I'm pretty decent for a guy who's never shot before. I also got to see how good he was, and fast.

For a while, I felt the sense of power, and thought I wanted to get a gun for myself for home defence. But, after thinking about it for a month or so, I decided that while I do feel safer when I'm with Mike in MI, knowing that he's armed, and most likely much more skilled than any badies we'd encounter, I also feel safer being unarmed in Canada. I also realized that possessing a gun is one thing. But you're not safe unless you're GOOD with a gun.

One thing that did it for me was this crime statistic: The Windsor police force in a given year, maybe 2004, were assaulted some number of time. A few times with knives, twice with a television set :Wow1:, and only once with a gun.

Wait, is this the trailer forum?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just remember that in the US the bears have guns. They snort pepper spray for giggles.
:costumed-smiley-007

Icemanii

A few years ago, I took some Boy Scouts camping in Alaska. We went to Katchemek and spent some time hiking by the glacier. The second day we were there, we were crossing over on the hand tram they had set up when we encountered a couple coming the other way. The boys helped them get across by pulling the ropes of the tram for the couple. When they arrived at our side of the river, we talked to them for a few minutes. Turns out, they were from France and just touring on their own. The wanted to offer the boys payment for helping them cross the river. The man pulled a Salmon out of his backpack that he had caught just prior to our encounter. He didn't have it wrapped or anything, just inside a hand towel inside the pack! :Wow1:

Still wonder if he ever made it back to the water taxi's to get a ride out of there, or did the bears catch him in the woods.

We did see bears while we were there, but we had trained the boys to make a lot of noise whenever they were out of camp.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
A few years ago, I took some Boy Scouts camping

We did see bears while we were there, but we had trained the boys to make a lot of noise whenever they were out of camp.

Let me get this straight....You HAD to train the boys to make noise? Actually had to train them!? Hmmmm....weird

1speedlos

Observer
I have seen the electric fence idea used. Never saw a bear hit it but there were tracks out side of it.

My brother in law built his rechargeable fence on parts from tractor supply for far less than the one in the previous link and it came with a solar panel to charge it.
Do you know what he used?
Looks like the only solar/rechargeable one that I found put out considerably less juice- maybe not enough, but what do I know?
Here's the same controller that Yellow Jacket uses: http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...59|14363|36186?listingPage=true&Special=false
$89 vs. $119 for the Yellow Jacket.
Maybe run it off of the 12v power supply in the trailer?
Hmmmm, now I just have to build my trailer!

Los

Sloan

Explorer
The guy in the booth at the campground in Yosemite's main valley told me all food had to go in the locker, as well as lipstick, lotions, etc. He further stated that I should never leave food out beyond arm's reach.

What the heck is going on with the bears in Yosemite?

REasley

Adventurer
The bears in Yosemite have learned that tourists are an easier and more reliable source of food than they find in the wild. People still find the bears cute and do not pay attention to the warnings that the park gives everyone at the gate. Mother bears teach their cubs how to raid the tourist campsites and cars. On the trails out of the valley, the bears have learned that if they stand on their hind legs, hikers will drop their packs and run, leaving all the goodies behind. Hikers are required to put food into bear-proof polyethylene containers and many do, but enough do not.

It has become harder to scare the bears away as they realize that humans are not a threat. The park service will trap bears that become too aggressive and relocate them, but they usually come back and have to be destroyed. The tourists are such a reliable food source that the bear population continues to grow.

762X39

Explorer
The tourists are such a reliable food source that the bear population continues to grow.
So once again, because humans are stupid and bears are smart, we kill the bears... Maybe we should arm the bears with LEO 870's to even the score!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven