"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A quick test fit to make sure all is good:

PsgrSideFitting1_zps964c6164.jpg

Next I'll install a sill across the bottom of the framework so it can sit on the edge of the tub. The sill will be used to bolt the TrailTop shell to the tub and serve as a bottom attachment point for the outer plywood skin. More pics soon.

I am trying to come up with a design that does exactly what you said - I want to make it possible for people who aren't really comfortable with the idea of building a camper from scratch to say "hey, I can do that!". We'll see if I succeed at that goal :).

Mission Accomplished.

TrailTop, it's like Legos for trailers ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've installed the bottom sill on the side framework and clamped the framwork onto the Jeep tub. The sill is 1x2 oak. In this case the sill is about an inch above the bottom of the TrailTop parts, that's because the Jeep tub has a taper over which the top sits. If you were doing a TrailTop shell to sit on a base frame instead of a Jeep tub, you'd put the sill all the way at the bottom of the TrailTop framework. The side panel plywood will attach to the flange on the TrailTop parts and to this sill.

PsgrSideFitting2_zpsff694fad.jpg

PsgrSideFitting4_zps85e3a851.jpg

PsgrSideFitting3_zps3d8c99c5.jpg

So far I can report that the parts went together exactly as designed. Trimming/fitting the tab ends to prepare them for bonding together was fairly easy. Bonding with automotive body filler was very quick and easy to do; the filler is thick enough so it fills any gaps nicely and the joints are plenty strong. The side sill bolted up as planned and made it easy to install the framework on the Jeep tub. Assembly was fun - it was very easy to get this far. I think building a camper with the TrailTop system will be within the capabilities of most DIY-ers.

Next up: assembling the driver's side framework.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Mission Accomplished.

TrailTop, it's like Legos for trailers ;)

Thanks. After assembling this one side frame, I can say I do believe it will be a lot easier to DIY-build a camper using TrailTop parts than by starting from scratch out of wood. The parts bonded together quickly, and once together, they provide a flange for easy attachment of a plywood or other 1/4" material side panel. If the rest of the assembly goes as well as this framework has, it will definitely meet my ease-of-assembly goal for the average DIY-er.

Seriously. Id love to see someone manufacture these parts.

Could happen. First I've got to finish assembling this prototype to see if I'm comfortable that the system meets all my design goals. If I'm satisfied that it does, then I'll talk more to the several companies that have contacted me expressing interest in marketing it.

blvdking

Observer
I have TJ tub trailer that I am looking to finish and build. It is a tub with box on the front and I want to build something usable for expeditions. I want an all in one trailer with a rtt and all gear I would need for a 2-4 week trip. Can you give me some ideas? I really like your rtt unit with lots of storage, compartments, kitchen, awning, etc.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have TJ tub trailer that I am looking to finish and build. It is a tub with box on the front and I want to build something usable for expeditions. I want an all in one trailer with a rtt and all gear I would need for a 2-4 week trip. Can you give me some ideas? I really like your rtt unit with lots of storage, compartments, kitchen, awning, etc.

A lot depends on how long your Jeep-tub trailer is? If it's a short one, using TrailTop parts you could do a "chuck wagon/rtt platform cargo top" like the one shown below.

TrailTopCompactChuck2_zps85999047.jpg

TrailTopCompactChuck1_zps7a3f9c9e.jpg

You could also do the same thing on a longer Jeep-tub trailer, you could do the same idea only longer, or you could do a full TrailTop camper top:

Radii2_zps8039f721.jpg

FirstTrailTopMockup3_zps37880820.jpg

If you let me know how long your Jeep-tub trailer is, and what features/style you're looking for, I'll do some concept drawings for you. Let me know what color it is and what your tow vehicle is, maybe I can work those into the drawing too.

mdmead

Adventurer
What's your definition of a fair price?

Good question! I don't really have an answer... it's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" type of things. I suppose this number is different for everyone, but my criteria will revolve around the stated price vs. what I can build it for myself. I look at things commercially available and then determine if I can duplicate it; can I duplicate it for a significantly cheaper price (and how easily I can obtain the mterials); if the price seems high, is there an alternative way of doing it and is the time required worth it; and finally, is the project (entire or this specific part) something I can even realistically accomplish.

I certainly don't expect businesses/manufacturers to give away their products and not make a profit. That being said I find myself skeptical about the price of some items and think greed plays a big part in some business plans. Although not always successful, I do my best not to support those I feel are overreaching.

(So, I probably didn't answer your question... but I love what you are doing here and wish I had your skills. Still rooting for an affordable product for the masses!)

jonnyquest

Adventurer
I think a good bench mark would be the price of a good quality trailer mounted roof top tent. The tent would be lighter and the trailer would be shorter thus making the combo capable of more difficult terrain. However, a TrailTop teardrop would be MUCH more convenient. Given the same price on both options, I would choose the teardrop.

blvdking

Observer
A lot depends on how long your Jeep-tub trailer is? If it's a short one, using TrailTop parts you could do a "chuck wagon/rtt platform cargo top" like the one shown below.

TrailTopCompactChuck2_zps85999047.jpg

You could also do the same thing on a longer Jeep-tub trailer, you could do the same idea only longer, or you could do a full TrailTop camper top:

Radii2_zps8039f721.jpg

FirstTrailTopMockup3_zps37880820.jpg

If you let me know how long your Jeep-tub trailer is, and what features/style you're looking for, I'll do some concept drawings for you. Let me know what color it is and what your tow vehicle is, maybe I can work those into the drawing too.

Mine is the short tub from a TJ Jeep and the chuck wagon is probably all I could end up with. The color is "rescue green/rhino line black" but has a fairly large diamond cut box on the front and a rear swinging tire carrier with matching 35" mt tire. I am pulling it with a rescue green Unlimited Rubicon with 40" tires.

What's your definition of a fair price?

Well lets see. An old business class told me that a business should be able to survive on a 40%-50% mark-up. Seeing as how most things these days are marked-up 100% so businesses can then later (if they choose mind you) offer 50%-60% off sales and still turn a profit. Id say factor what you would expect manufacturing to be and mark it up 100% and pitch that to us folks. If we find it reasonable then great. If not there's "wiggle" room to adjust and still allow a business to survive. :)

grimbo

Explorer
But business modelling has changed considerably. Some products justify and need low turnoff high profit margin while others can be high turnover low profit margin to get the same profits at the end of the year.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Good question! I don't really have an answer... it's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" type of things. I suppose this number is different for everyone, but my criteria will revolve around the stated price vs. what I can build it for myself. I look at things commercially available and then determine if I can duplicate it; can I duplicate it for a significantly cheaper price (and how easily I can obtain the mterials); if the price seems high, is there an alternative way of doing it and is the time required worth it; and finally, is the project (entire or this specific part) something I can even realistically accomplish.

Well I've done everything I can to make the fiberglass parts economical and efficient to manufacture, so that'll keep the cost down as much as possible. I've also focused on the assembly effort and techniques while I was designing the parts, so it will be far quicker to assemble a TrailTop-based camper shell than it will be to build one from scratch. Depending on the style/shape./size TrailTop you're building, the main TrailTop framing parts should assemble in a day, then on day 2 it's a matter of installing the plywood skins into the recessed flanges built into the frame. If time to assemble/ease of assembly counts for anything, TrailTop will easily win over build-from-scratch :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Mine is the short tub from a TJ Jeep and the chuck wagon is probably all I could end up with. The color is "rescue green/rhino line black" but has a fairly large diamond cut box on the front and a rear swinging tire carrier with matching 35" mt tire. I am pulling it with a rescue green Unlimited Rubicon with 40" tires.

Sounds like the concept in this drawing drawing is a pretty good fit for your needs and the size of your Jeep-tub trailer. If you want to see it in Rescue Green plus the outfitting you've described, I can update the drawing, but it'll look pretty much like this in a different color and with a spare on the back :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven