Tran-America Trail: July 2008

jcbrandon

Explorer
some warnings expired

The warnings for tornados and severe thunderstorms around Fallon have been lifted. There is now an expanded warning area for flash floods. There is a severe thunderstorm warning for the area around Winnemuca.

Scott Brady

Founder
Battle Mountain... All is well

Thanks so much for everyones concern.

We just made it into town - barely. We had to abandon camping for the night to wait out the storm.

The storm was chasing us all day, catching us several times. The mud was intense and I am surprised the bikes/us made it through.

I will post a picture or two and a video in a bit.

Scott Brady

Founder
Mud

TAT_Mud.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is a little video of the mud situation. MUD VIDEO

For the next few days, we will have no connection. Our next town is McDermit, NV, right on the OR border. We go into OR momentarily and then back into NV or another 120 miles in NV.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Sounds like spirits are still up...even with 600lb. bikes and mud!

Way to go! Ride Safe and we'll catch you when you're connected again!

-H-

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Battle Mountain is not one of my favorite towns when crossing Nevada, but I bet it was a welcome respite from the weather.

I'm sure you have seen weather extremes around the world as well as in AZ, but I think many don't realized the varied conditions we have in Nevada. Everything you have seen plus snow.

Glad you guys are having quite the adventure in the most mountainous state but the mud sucks. I think today’s weather is much better. :)

James

expeditionswest said:
Here is a little video of the mud situation. MUD VIDEO

For the next few days, we will have no connection. Our next town is McDermit, NV, right on the OR border. We go into OR momentarily and then back into NV or another 120 miles in NV.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
Looks like the SPOT page isn't working... then again, maybe it's just me who isn't working.

I think you're in need of maintanence. I see three spot transmissions. One from about 15 minutes ago from Denio Junction. :xxrotflma

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
SOAZ said:
I think you're in need of maintanence. I see three spot transmissions. One from about 15 minutes ago from Denio Junction. :xxrotflma

damn good bacon cheeseburgers and chocolate malts in Denio Junction...should any ever pass through there. Just don't blink, you'll miss it.

We are in Lake View, OR for the day. We stopped early to clean the bikes up, do a bit of maintenance on them and clean ourselves up. We were way overdue on the laundry....smelled like :shakin:.

The weather has been favorable the last couple days. Finally.

The front springs on the GS are still to stiff (.85 kg/in), so it acts like a pogo stick during steep, rocky climbs...yesterday had a few of those...some more successful than others.

Scott Brady

Founder
Utah

Fittingly, our first stop in Utah was Moab, where we ran the length of Sand Flats road from the foothills to the East all the way into the Slickrock campground. We also made time for a meal and few beers at the Brewery before rolling out the sleeping bags under a moon, as full and bright as a spotlight.

From Moab, we traversed the Gemini Bridges trail, testing our bikes (and us) on the slickrock steps. No drama, other than a long and sketchy sand hillclimb that Brian and I both managed to make the top of.

TAT_Utah_Moab.jpg

Climbing up to the Gemini Bridges

Video of riding in Moab

TAT_Utah_BDCanyon.jpg

A great canyon in the "Swell"

The rest of Utah went quickly, but we learned to be wary of any hand-drawn dashed lines on Sam's maps. There were several and all were challenging, including miles of narrow, steep and rocky single-track.
TAT_Utah_Piute.jpg

Purple Mountains - Majesty
TAT_Utah_Purple.jpg

The KTM has been awesome so far, and is all the bike I had hoped it would be. The best way I can describe it is-

Riding the KTM is like strapping a big fuel tank and a few backpacks to a trophy truck. The only thing that will stop it is a gas station... Average fuel economy has been about 30mpg on the TAT.

Scott Brady

Founder
Colorado Ron said:
OUCH! Thats not too hot. Whats the beemer getting?

Almost exactly twice... The fuel light has never come on.

54 was his worst tank - 71 is his best, for this trip.

It's like anything else, how FAST do YOU want to go ;)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
yep 30 mpg seems about right - especially if you have aftermarket exhaust and different jets. Mine is getting about 27 now in town and I went up to 37 cruising down to Santa Cruz.

I would say that's the major downside of this bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal