Trump's 03 Tacoma

D

Deleted member 9101

Out of all the trucks on here, yours is one of my favorites!!!! Keep up the good work!

trump

Adventurist
I took apart the dash yesterday (yet again) to finish up the backup camera wiring. Starting to feel like I should use industrial strength Velcro to hold it on since I seem to be in there so often. I looked online for anyone that had installed a backup cam on a first gen for the location of the backup signal wire. Turns out it doesn't seem very common, so I needed to do a little research instead of just shooting wires all afternoon. To save anyone else the trouble here's the location you should tap. Access the connector (BN7) located underneath the drivers seat. The wire you'll be looking for should be red with a black stripe. On the following figure it's pin #22.

BackupWiring.jpg

Use a wire tap and run a wire up to your stereo and you should be go-to-go. It now switches to the backup camera input when the truck is in reverse.

I'm going to wait for the Flip-pac to arrive before mounting the camera, so I can find the best location to mount it. With all of the pre-wiring done, it should be a quick and easy add.

trump

Adventurist
ATFP Ordered!

Today it's finally official. The highlights of my order:

-SLO rainfly
-Passenger side windoor
-Flip-down front window
-LED utility/backup light
-LED interior lights (White/Red) x 2

Probably the best feature, is that Martyn communicates with FRP and saves me the drama.:coffeedrink:

4RunAmok

Explorer
BarlowRS's CBI Bumper has a much more compact two-can mount that he has his Scepters in... That one you show above looks odd compared to his.

trump

Adventurist
BarlowRS's CBI Bumper has a much more compact two-can mount that he has his Scepters in... That one you show above looks odd compared to his.

I already owned two individual can carriers and instead of buying a double; I requested that I could mount both of them. This provides me the ability to lighten the load and just mount one carrier mounted with it's back to the swingout like you'd normally see.

:ylsmoke:

No reason to spend money on a double can carrier if I don't need to.

trump

Adventurist
I missed that part... :D

I'd still move it to the right, it blocks the turn signal

You'd have to tailgate me pretty close before it would block your view to the turn signal. Unless your driving in a right hand drive car your going to see it. The spindle for the swingout however, blocks about half the right brake light. It's just the nature of the beast with a swingout on this truck. A third brake light with built in turn signals and backup light will be mounted top center on the flippac to aid in visibility.

Like this:

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?pk=51&pname=Part-26418RD-RED-15-Mini-LED-Tailgate-Bar&p_cat=27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIJ-b02XJJw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

NotAMog

Observer
Nice mods to your truck! Your build is very similar to what I've been doing with my 2004 Tacoma. Here is a picture showing the truck with the ATFP and the Demello Off Road swing gate bumper. I used two individual AT can holders. The Hi-Lift mounts on top behind the spare tire and cans.

Rack Open.jpg

I'll have to post a straight on picture of the back to show the auxiliary LED brake and turn signal lights that were added just in case "Officer Friendly" ever had any grief about the stock tail lights being obstructed. I also plan to add a CHMTL but I haven't gotten to that yet.

What are you using for a rear view camera? The swing gate with the spare tire made already poor visibility even worse so it could really use one.

There is a Xenarc touch screen monitor in the cab on a RAM mount which has a rear view camera input. I'm using the stock radio location for a custom switch panel from http://www.gaugeplates.com/. A Yaesu FTM-10 with the head unit mounted below the Xenarc monitor provides AM/FM radio as well as 2m and 440MHz ham. The FTM-10 also has a line input for an iPod or other equipment.

Thanks for posting the connector diagram info on the backup lights. That will save a lot of time when I go to install a rear view camera.

trump

Adventurist
Thanks for posting that NotAMog. It's nice to see pictures of first gens with flip-pac's on to help with my imagination. CHMTL, what's that? I purchased a generic flush mount camera that seems to be sold under several different manufactures. Like this:

product_294.jpg

Overall feels solid and the picture looked fine during testing. It only cost me about $25, so it won't break the bank if it fails. Average reviews out of them, but most are positive. It will feed video to my Pioneer AVH-2300DVD pictured a few posts before this. The placement of the camera is TBD, but I'm guessing it will be just above or below the planned center brake light on the ATFP (the camera can be angled down.) We will see when I get that far.

4RunAmok

Explorer
That 3rd Brake Light/Turn Signal/Running light is awesome!

I can't wait to get better employed so I can afford all this stuff!

trump

Adventurist
Another welcome addition today. I have a condition called photophobia. No, I'm not scared of being in pictures, it's a real condition of light sensitivity (more common for people with blue eyes like myself.) I've also had PRK making my sensitivity even stronger. You'll rarely ever see me outside without sunglasses on unless it's out of my power (you'll notice me squinting in that case.)

Driving around a white truck in the bright desert gets to me after awhile, so it was time to fix that. Enter the vinyl hood blackout.

2011-09-17160926.jpg

The view out the front is much better. The vinyl was purchased as a pre-cut sheet from Crawlorado. It took me and a friend about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs to knock it out today.

trump

Adventurist
Here's a couple pictures of the view out during mock-up. Just a cell phone picture, but notice the shutter speed is longer in the second.

2011-09-17121434.jpg

2011-09-17121855.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Looks great - good job! The glare is annoying - I've been meaning to do this too but the supplier flaked and I just stuck it in the too hard box.

Thanks for sharing your supplier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online