Trump's 03 Tacoma

trump

Adventurist
Here's a few more pictures of the new bumper. Cargo strapped the can carriers in place just to test how everything will fit for now. I'll be mounting the bumper this weekend to test the fit. Next week it's going in for powdercoat and the frame plates will be welded to the truck.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1312595316528.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1312595316528.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 192
  • uploadfromtaptalk1312595399486.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1312595399486.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 193

trump

Adventurist
A couple shots of CBI's great welds...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1312595553487.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1312595553487.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • uploadfromtaptalk1312595779053.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1312595779053.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
[FONT=&quot]
BentUpFront.jpg
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

What brand/type are those marker/turn signal lights? And do they come in amber colored?

Also, your rear bumper; Is that custom built by CBI or is that a "standard" bumper they make for Toyotas?

trump

Adventurist
NorthernWoodsman said:
What brand/type are those marker/turn signal lights? And do they come in amber colored?

Also, your rear bumper; Is that custom built by CBI or is that a "standard" bumper they make for Toyotas?

The turn signals are made by a safety lighting company named ECCO. They appear clear but are amber LED units.

The new rear bumper is the Outback 1.0 from CBI. The swingout was custom designed to my needs.

trump

Adventurist
Here's a picture of the test fit of the new bumper today. Fit like a glove, so it's off to powdercoat sometime next week.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1312667740160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1312667740160.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 215

trump

Adventurist
Alright, now that I back at my desktop and not posting from my phone, I'll offer a little more info.

I'm impressed with the design and construction of the new bumper. My original over the bed tire carrier (I'm now advertizing on their website) was built by CBI and was well made, but it was mostly tube. When building with plate steel they don't play around at all! :Wow1:

Lots of people joke about things being built like a tank, but I can't be more serious about it looking like a tank part. Honestly, when I picked it up at the shipping dock and saw it for the first time I got a pit in my stomach thinking about the weight. Now after getting the spare, Hi-Lift, and cans on the swing-out I'm reminded why it's built like it is. It's just the nature of the beast. Don't take that the wrong way though... The bumper is awesome, and will serve its purpose well.

Another preparation was made for the future ATFP last week with the addition of a DVD head unit. I couldn't care less about watching a movie in my truck... the real reason for getting it was for the addition of a backup camera. Backing out of a parking spot will be much safer with it considering my planned obstructions: the back window; 200 lbs of dogs standing in the bed; The tinted rear hatch of a flip-pac; and finally the enormous swing-out. No camera yet since I'll be playing around with the location on the bumper.

PioneerAVH-P2300DVD.jpg

PioneerAVH2300DVD.jpg

trump

Adventurist
Frame plates were completed yesterday. The bumper will come back off tomorrow to head off to powder coat.

Edit: yes, I am hard on my tires offroad. :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1313277993160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313277993160.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251

trump

Adventurist
Yesterday I got the new rear bumper back from powdercoat and everything was finally installed permanently. The last couple weeks I was playing musical parts while doing the finishing fab work, but taking my time I feel payed off.

2011-08-27182521.jpg

2011-08-27182140.jpg

2011-08-27181904.jpg

Note: In the pictures I have it set up with two can carriers mounted sideways. I already owned two individual can carriers and instead of buying a double; I requested that I could mount both of them. This provides me the ability to lighten the load and just mount one carrier mounted with it's back to the swingout like you'd normally see.

The CB antenna was placed in a spot that will not offer the same range as I once had with my old tire carrier, but with the HAM being my primary radio I don't worry about its range much. I placed it so I could fold it behind the swingout for low branches or getting in the garage.

2011-08-27182103.jpg

2011-08-27184046.jpg

Let's not forget...

2011-08-27182336.jpg

Zombie proof bottle opener!

:D:beer: :friday:

bmh

Adventurer
Very nice build up! Looking forward to seeing more. How much difference did the rtt make with stability?

trump

Adventurist
Very nice build up! Looking forward to seeing more. How much difference did the rtt make with stability?

That always seems to be a big consideration and was one of mine before buying a RTT. I haven't really noticed it much at all. I think it would be more of a concern for someone that had additional roof loads already, or maybe having it mounted considerably higher than mine.

bmh

Adventurer
That always seems to be a big consideration and was one of mine before buying a RTT. I haven't really noticed it much at all. I think it would be more of a concern for someone that had additional roof loads already, or maybe having it mounted considerably higher than mine.

good to know. I go back and forth between a rtt and a topper with a sleeping platform inside... decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the feedback. Too bad it only makes the decision harder.

trump

Adventurist
There have been a couple questions about what I was describing as far as being able to configure the rear bumper, so this picture comparison should help out:

two cans...

2011-08-27182140.jpg

...or one can

2011-09-05142812.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3