UAV-TT (off-road tent trailer) build

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Looking good! Ill be very interested to see what you find in terms of durability on the body. These things are great but build quality on many can be their downfall

silvrzuki77

explorer
No kidding! Thats why I really wanted airbags plus the challenge. I did add 3 boxes of screws plus 20 some feet of 1x2" poplar. Time will tell! While I dont beat my vehicles and am cautious I wont let let it hinder me and tend to pull this everywhere it will fit!

silvrzuki77

explorer
Oh I will be making a mounts on either side for a high lift jack. Worse case scenario I can jack the tail end over
May sound dumb but I really wanna take it down lippencot trail in death valley. Obviously not alone lol

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha not dumb just adventurous! The point of these things is to take them anywhere you want to explore. I give you props for getting out there. I'd love to see this thing off road. If you're ever rolling our way we should hit a trail. Im always looking for an excuse to get out and get photos of cool rigs and trailers

silvrzuki77

explorer
I will need to take you up on that someday! I really would like to head out to AZ and explore! Ive only been to sedona but no wheeling.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Alright key item showed up today!!!!
f1a09b5679e5a8af1aab1804cf6113e1.jpg

Lock n roll is awesome! They got this out quick!
Called my dad up to come watch the kids while I got to work! Got the hitch welded on nothing special.
Than!
539b60d554ba26f6eaf67173074416bf.jpg

Test drive time!!!! Did quite a few laps around the neighborhood. Got the e brake controller set. Off to the freeway! Braking was great pulling was great! Hit 85 mph zero pull, sway, or serious issues!!!
Stoplight photo!
d2a1e535eedcabc4e7175ca7112d9a84.jpg

Issues i did have....
Too much air in the bags.
Had body sway when i rocked the steering wheel back and forth at speed.

Solutions....
Less air in bags
Heavier valved shocks or build a different shock tower(worse case)
Going to get another set of bump stops that are not cut. My hummer actually barely touches the front bump from the factory. The blazer bump stops I have are super squishy.

Hope to get a full day of work sunday and knock alot of stuff out

silvrzuki77

explorer
Moving along original trailer A frame was cut off today. Man do I love have a plasma cutter!
0eb0ca602823fa034e3a478dd2dd6d3d.jpg

Have to go in a cut off the rest did want to torch the body. Should have the majority of it done sunday.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Think I need to wrap it to match my truck! Lol.
Started to put the winch mount on and the baby started crying. At least he gave me one good hour of work

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well got all the big stuff done!
Winch installed
a8e142d2e9d8ac6038f3b91e5ca6384c.jpg

Beside my battery being low it worked good
https://vimeo.com/110092844
Got my landing leg installed and reused the old propane/battery mount installed. Eventually when I add dual batteries I will build something nicer
d678aa16ce316b553f0666e19bf5ecbb.jpg

Need to extend the bed support legs to fit the new mounts and add a top cap to give a cleaner look
7b0eed7a89ffdeea2deb3e09a4e8ac5d.jpg

Painted and getting close
079ff524f58f497ed93f66bd86fd87b8.jpg

To do list at the moment
Tidy up the wiring
Paint fenders and install fender trim
Paint the frame and trailing arms
New shocks
Build a rear bumper setup

ramsport59

Observer
I've always wanted to add a powered winch to my starcraft as well. Does yours have the AC on top? Do you trust the winch holding the roof up or do you have a backup?

Rick

silvrzuki77

explorer
I do not have a roof ac but I wouldnt be worried. Even with the manual crank the manufacture states to insert a corner support in each end.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
From personal experience NEVER use one of these without safety corner supports. I had mine drop this year as I was setting it up. NOT A GOOD FEELING. People be safe with these things. All I thought about was what if my 7 year old was inside and that broke. This happened the 1/2 hr after getting it back from a 1000 dollar service. Needless to say I was pissed. One of the corners still stick when raising and the cable will break if I am not careful. I need to figure out how to fix this. But remember, USE THE BRACKETS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk