Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

haven

Expedition Leader
Of these 6, I'd guess the Sony NEX-5N will have the best photo quality.

And you gotta love all the adapters available to use older glass with this camera. Canon L? Contax G? It's all available.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The new Olympus OM-D looks pretty interesting. My only concern (other than cost and the need for a whole new range of lenses) is that it does not have a built-in flash. It actually comes with a flash, but its an external hot-shoe mounted unit. Love the weather protection build though!
842936.jpg

Weathersealed.jpg

More images:

I'm really digging the tilt-shift effect that is built in (as Diorama):
diorama.jpg

And the groovy chrome accented "Dramatic" black and white setting is pretty nice too:
dramatictone22.jpg

dramatictone2model.jpg

Even the built-in soft focus mode looks pretty nice:
softfocus.jpg

Last edited:

mezmochill

Is outside
Looking for a new "prosumer" camera fastish lens with a good wide end, and pixel quality vs quantity. I've had good luck with both olympus and canon in the past.(although I am NOT a fan of my wifes olympus XZ-1...interface too small for my hands)

I don't want the bulk of an DSLR or even a 4/3 camera.

Any suggestions?

robgendreau

Explorer
Looking for a new "prosumer" camera fastish lens with a good wide end, and pixel quality vs quantity. I've had good luck with both olympus and canon in the past.(although I am NOT a fan of my wifes olympus XZ-1...interface too small for my hands)

I don't want the bulk of an DSLR or even a 4/3 camera.

Any suggestions?

One of the bigger sensor cameras, Panasonic FZ1000, Sony RX100, etc? Need a long zoom, or a viewfinder? And the ones the reviewer is looking at earlier in the thread.

mezmochill

Is outside
One of the bigger sensor cameras, Panasonic FZ1000, Sony RX100, etc? Need a long zoom, or a viewfinder? And the ones the reviewer is looking at earlier in the thread.

Viewfinder would be nice but not essential, zoom-no. More on the wide end down to 24mm would be nice f1.8-2.0 would be nice also.

Thanks for the input!

Viggen

Just here...
The new Olympus OM-D looks pretty interesting. My only concern (other than cost and the need for a whole new range of lenses) is that it does not have a built-in flash. It actually comes with a flash, but its an external hot-shoe mounted unit. Love the weather protection build though!
842936.jpg

Weathersealed.jpg

That is not true. It has built in flash and a hotshoe. I have an E-M10. Got rid of all of my DSLR gear. No longer need it. This system is light, compact, sharp, and beyond packable.

Example images:

JMHP0005 by Jarrod Hills, on Flickr

JMHP0012 by Jarrod Hills, on Flickr

JMHP0263 by Jarrod Hills, on Flickr

Viggen

Just here...
Ah, so it it does. That wasn't appearant way back in 2012 when it was first announced

olympus-om-d-e-m10-product-photos02.jpg
I can highly recommend the OMD series. It kicks so much butt it's incredible. The kit zoom is actually very good and I supplement it with a 14/ 2.5, 30/ 2.8, and 45/ 1.8. All of which takes up the same amount of space in my bag as my Tamron 28-75/ 2.8 zoom. The EM10 can be had for $499, which is a steal.

kbahus

Adventurer
While on my last two trips with my family I have determined that I can no longer tolerate taking pictures with my camera phone. We have been blessed with some amazing scenery and photo opportunities lately and simply can't get good shots. The sun is washing out pics, my kid moves so fast he is almost always blurry, and there is just no options with my phone's camera. It is game over for the camera phone; I know how to take pics with a 35mm old-school film camera and ready to try a "real" digital camera. I have been trying to come up with what I want and it has to be portable, simple, and quick to bring into action. I don't want to lug around different lenses and a big framed camera which brought me to this thread. The Fuji line seems good and a used X10 is in my budget of not much. It seems like a higher end option that could be picked up for a lower end cost. My question is, is the X10 still a viable option given it's fall 2015? I am pretty confident I can purchase a used one for around $150 for reference. Cheers

landsharkman

Adventurer
My travel P&S at the moment are
Sony RX100 III 20.1MP 1" Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8-2.8 Lens 24-70mm (35mm Equivalent)
Ricoh GR APS-C CMOS Sensor Gr f/2.8 Fixed Lens28mm (35mm Equivalent)
Sony RX1R 4.3MP Full-Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2 Lens

kbahus

Adventurer
My X10 came in from Ebay and I got to try it out this weekend, so far it exceeds any expectations I had and is a really sweet camera given the low price paid.

Viggen

Just here...
While on my last two trips with my family I have determined that I can no longer tolerate taking pictures with my camera phone. We have been blessed with some amazing scenery and photo opportunities lately and simply can't get good shots. The sun is washing out pics, my kid moves so fast he is almost always blurry, and there is just no options with my phone's camera. It is game over for the camera phone; I know how to take pics with a 35mm old-school film camera and ready to try a "real" digital camera. I have been trying to come up with what I want and it has to be portable, simple, and quick to bring into action. I don't want to lug around different lenses and a big framed camera which brought me to this thread. The Fuji line seems good and a used X10 is in my budget of not much. It seems like a higher end option that could be picked up for a lower end cost. My question is, is the X10 still a viable option given it's fall 2015? I am pretty confident I can purchase a used one for around $150 for reference. Cheers

I used my 6.1MP Pentax ist DS for years. I used my K7 for years and am seriously debating an IR conversion for it. I would put K7 shots up against newer K5IIs or K3 shots (as long as it wasnt high ISO which the K7 sucks at). I see no differences between my Olympus EM10 and the new, "improved" version of it. Whether something is still viable or not is up to you. A modern digital camera is so good that one can be years old but still deliver.

I also still use film. My bag is made up of my EM10 and a Pentax with an A135/ 2.8 on it.

Kiomon

Adventurer
I think the best compact travel camera out right now is the Sony RX100IV. We have just gotten one and its an solid camera, and a VERY good video camera, with internal 4K recording. Built in zoom lens, pocket sized, its easy to take it everywhere. We are filmmakers and have Leicas, Reds, Nikons, etc in the truck. But more than anything you want a camera you actually want to carry with you. I am working on a review of the sony over the coming weeks, but its definitely a solid option!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater