Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I have to say, the more time I spend with the X10 the more fond of it I'm becoming. I can't wait to see what I can coax out of a RAW file. Until then... here are a few more out of camera jpgs I snagged today while taking the dog out for a walk.

i-kjq9sXj-XL.jpg

i-MPDBgzV-XL.jpg

i-RWf59px-XL.jpg

i-W7gvPGs-XL.jpg

i-pjjxqKW-XL.jpg

i-NQN8mgG-XL.jpg

i-sRxBPRg-XL.jpg

i-99tFbFg-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
After spending more time with the X10, I think I've got a pretty good handle on its IQ characteristics.

I figured some of you guys and gals would like to take a peak for yourself. If you do, feel free to click on any of the thumbnails below to go to the original, full size, untouched, out of camera jpgs. Also, I've left all the metadata embedded for you to look at as well.

High ISO shots:
Shot #1

Shot #2

Shot wide open to look at bokeh and potential depth of field seperation.
Shot #3

Shot #4

Resolution potential
Shot #5

Shot #6

Last edited:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
One big disappointment for me is that the EXR modes, Fuji's awesome pixel binning sensor technology, can only be utilized in an automatic mode and the output can only be record as jpgs.

I stand corrected, it looks as though you can take advantage of the EXR sensor in manual modes, and you can also record the results as RAW. The manual is terrible and makes absolutely no mention of how you can do this, but after searching some forums I've found out that it can be done. When using APS or M modes you have to go into the menus and actually change the image size from "L" which is the full 12 megapixels to "M" which is 6 megapixels. Doing this apparently forces the camera into EXR mode and allows the user to take advantage of that wonderful sensor while maintaining full control over the camera. You'll notice when you do this that certain settings open up to you that were previously grayed out in APSM modes. The most obvious is the DR (dynamic range) optimizer modes open up allowing you to gain up to 2 additional stops of dynamic range over the the standard full resolution 12 megapixel capture.

I was also curious if the camera would use EXR SN for low light scenes when set up this way and it appears it does, although there is nothing that would indicate to the user that it is actually pixel binning. It's hard to argue with the results however, and it's clear to me the camera is making the most of the sensors technology. Here is a picture of my parents rescued cat shot at ISO 3200. Is there noise, sure, but for a small sensor camera to give this kind of result in really low light is remarkable, and it's a much better result then what I get shooting in full resolution.

i-P8PwMnr-XL.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I think you'll really enjoy it, I am. Get yourself a couple spare battery's though, one downfall of the camera is battery life isn't that great. Out of camera IQ is really good though, and that's what really matters in a walk around camera.

i-sqrcmdm-XL.jpg

i-SFLssC2-XL.jpg

i-W8G9hWr-XL.jpg

i-TSLmPpn-XL.jpg

i-VPzkvxr-XL.jpg

Kilroy

Adventurer
Any updates on the X10? I'm about ready to spring for one, but have been running into reports of a white orb in the image under some lighting conditions. Wondering how concerned I should be about that?

I think you'll really enjoy it, I am. Get yourself a couple spare battery's though, one downfall of the camera is battery life isn't that great. Out of camera IQ is really good though, and that's what really matters in a walk around camera.

i-TSLmPpn-XL.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Any updates on the X10? I'm about ready to spring for one, but have been running into reports of a white orb in the image under some lighting conditions. Wondering how concerned I should be about that?

I'd say it depends on what you're shooting. My initial enthusiasm for the camera has certainly been tempered because of the white orbs which are very much real. Generally speaking, and in most situations you probably won't run into them, but.... As I started shooting more city scenes and around water I started to notice the white orbs more and more, and once I noticed them I found I was really trying to shoot around the limitations of the camera instead of taking the picture I really wanted. Sadly, this lead me to realize that this camera may not be for me, in spite of the fact that I loved using it and it did almost everything I wanted. With spring and summer fast approaching, and time on or near the water certainly due to increase, I decided to take another approach, and reluctantly sold the camera.

ssssnake529

Explorer
I have an Amazon.com pre-order in for the new Olympus OMD micro 4/3 camera. I've been using the Olympus Pen E-P2 for a while now, and really like this system. The new OMD looks to significantly up the game, and is about the same size as the PEN cameras.

Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I'd say it depends on what you're shooting. My initial enthusiasm for the camera has certainly been tempered because of the white orbs which are very much real. Generally speaking, and in most situations you probably won't run into them, but.... As I started shooting more city scenes and around water I started to notice the white orbs more and more, and once I noticed them I found I was really trying to shoot around the limitations of the camera instead of taking the picture I really wanted. Sadly, this lead me to realize that this camera may not be for me, in spite of the fact that I loved using it and it did almost everything I wanted. With spring and summer fast approaching, and time on or near the water certainly due to increase, I decided to take another approach, and reluctantly sold the camera.

This camera sounded so promising. What a stupid glitch. One would think fixing it is a high priority. Thanks for the update.

Honu

lost on the mainland
on a paid pro photographer site seems quite a few who got the X10 have sold them ? the white orb issues are a small reason with the focus issue seeming to be the biggest reason but shooting people vs nature focus issues are more important with moving targets bummer as it has nice files

lots of chatter about the X1 pro of course which seems really nice and has some nice lens options if you are a prime shooter :) the only thing not sure i they got the focus down on this one either as some blogs and such seem to say its not the quickest the 90 macro lens sounds like a slow hunter :(
still the files seem pretty nice the samples they had up of the night sky though a few are curious about the halo look around the stars ?

the new canon G with the larger sensor seems nice for ISO but bad lens might hold it back sadly

as said I might be getting the Oly OM-D as it seems like a nice M4/3 setup and the ISO seems to be good up to what I have seen so far and since I have 2 other M4/3 cameras I am sold on it for a nice compact carry camera as I can put the lens on I want to do the job or carry a few etc..

Scott Brady

Founder
We just picked up the X10
fujifilm_x10_pricing-550x399.jpg

I plan to take it as my carry compact on the RTW trip.

We have been evaluating these smaller cameras pretty hard. For our summer issue of Overland Journal, we are actually doing a full review of travel compact cameras.

This is the list we will be evaluating:
1. Fuji X10
2. Sony NEX-5N
3. Panasonic GF
4. Olympus PEN
5. Canon G1X
6. Canon S100

The goal is to review cameras under $1000 that are compact enough for motorcycle use, but could also shoot a cover image. We narrowed a wide field down to the selections above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach