Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
If you want to just take pictures and I mean good pictures with a very nice Image Quality then the Fuji X100 might be for you. I'm loving mine and am having a blast just shooting in almost no light and making no noise. Very non-intrusive camera. It feels like a high quality Leica in your hands and is just a real joy to shoot. I have never been a jpeg shooter, just RAW files. Now finding myself using the Fuji Film Profiles and shooting very high quality Jpegs. I wouldn't shoot Jpeg only for one of my commercial shoots, just fun stuff. :ylsmoke:
Good luck in your decision!

So I am about to replace my stolen Sony R1 [6 years old APS-C sensor].

I know what I want:

- pocketable [light and small enough to fit in a coat pocket]
- reliable and robust [on the road 24/7 - 340 days a year]
- APS-C sensor
- F2.5 or better
- great battery performance

So I ended up with this list:

a] Ricoh GRX + A12 28mm
b] Leica X1
c] Fuji X100

what are your thoughts?

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ben, you got the X100? I am still waiting, Fuji says their press fleet is still backed-up by a couple of months. I may need to fondle yours (the camera that is, hey this is a family show...) affectionately the next time I see you.

Cheers

Ray

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Ben, you got the X100? I am still waiting, Fuji says their press fleet is still backed-up by a couple of months. I may need to fondle yours (the camera that is, hey this is a family show...) affectionately the next time I see you.

Cheers

Ray

Yes Ray I got my X100 about 10 days ago and it is all your fault!!! That night at Scott's when you started your spill about the coolest camera to come out in a long time. Well you were right, I love it! You know we are family, you can fondle my camera any day:wings:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
X100 vs Oly EP-L2

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/05/fuji-x100-compared-to-olympus-e-pl2_16.html

Olympus is extremely impressive. Better than the X100 I would say in these tests.

High ISO is obviously a different story.

I try to never get into debates about what camera is better than another because in my opinion it is really up to the user. I will say that I have owned and sold the Olympus EP-L2 and lens used in the test and now own and use the Fuji X100. There is no way you could ever get me to believe that the Olympus is "BETTER" than the Fuji. I think that the Olympus is a killer little camera package and fun to shoot, but there was no way I could shoot it on assignments and get the results that I wanted. The focus and moving of the focal points quickly was a no deal for me. I didn't like having only the EVF viewfinder either.
One thing that you have to remember is that most cameras today take really good outside daylight lit shots of pretty flowers and benches. It is when you go into the low lit ambient situations that cameras like the leica's and X100's shine. Not only can they make killer daylight shots, but take them into a place where you are at 1600 iso at F2 and 1/15th or even an 1/8th of a second and every shot you take is almost dead on. That is what the rangefinder/rangefinder like cameras are made for.
After reviewing the images on that particular test that you linked to I will say that the images look almost identical from both cameras, crank up the iso and the Olympus cameras small sensor will not do as well as the Fuji.
The only other thing I will say is holding the Fuji X100 gives me the feeling of being on a National Graphic shoot back in the 60's, a bit of nostalgia lets say. The Olympus to put it lightly does not.:ylsmoke:

ywen

Explorer
I agree the large sensor X100 has superior low ambient light performance.. and more ergonomic controls. However in the context of strictly image quality, the day light performance difference does put the hype surrounding these cams into perspective..

landcruising

Adventurer
So...... I spend 6 hours with camera's in my hand and three professional camera salesman. Depressing really. I thought I would end up with an easy and definite choice.
My criteria are hard to meet it seems:

- must fit in my pocket
- large sensor
- silent
- articulate screen/tilting EVF
- 24mm and some zoom

So I ended up with these [that all fit in my pocket] and I summ up the things that I don't like:

- Sony Nex3/5: but very noisy shutter and I couldn't find the AE lock
- Canon G12: 1.7" sensor, only 28mm
- Ricoh GRX: only 28mm, separate EVF
- Leica D-Lux5: 1.63" sensor, separate EVF
- Olympus EP-2: noisy shutter, separate EVF

I like the Sony for the build quality but couldn't care for its strange menu like structure, the lack of the AE lock or buttons and dials in general. But the thing that bothered me most was the noisy shutter. I don't think I could live with that.

The Canon is very well build. But the small sensor makes for a very poor high ISO performance. I like the articulated screen and all the buttons and dials.

I like the Leica / Pana D-Lux5 for its 24mm and f/2.0 lens but almost the same size sensor as the Canon will give me the poor high ISO performance. And will need a EVF for me. Very well build as well. Don't like the strange color menus. I like the AE lock that lock for multiple images until you unlock it.

The Ricoh is a welcome strange camera. I like the build quality, and I like the customization of all the buttons. Snap focus, wow! Timelapse, wow! The screen I like and the b/w look and feel of it. I would have liked a 24mm lens on it and a articulated screen. So would need a EVF. Very silent!

The EP-2, disappointed me. Very strange colorful menu system. I would need the EVF and the camera is wide. Maybe I didn't spend that much time with it, and I need to invest some more.

What are your thoughts?

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

ywen

Explorer
the m4/3 and NEX and the Samasung NX100 are probably the smallest "large" sensor cameras.

However since you stated that you need the EVF, I would recommend something like the Panasonic GH1, GH2, G3... G3 being the smallest and newest. These cameras all have an excellent built-in EVF.. I just purchased a GH1 and it's a great camera. The movie mode is pro-level quality.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I just wanted to post a few "local" images that I have made around the house with my new Fuji X100. I will be on travels starting later this week and can really put this great little camera to test in the field. I'm really impressed with the low light capabilities of this camera.:ylsmoke:

_DSF5286-Edit-Edit-web by benjie edmonson, on Flickr
iso 400 F2.8 1/30 sec (captured as raw file +5 blue and .3/75 sharpening)

_DSF5330-web by benjie edmonson, on Flickr
iso 640 F2.0 1/55 sec (captured as raw file +3 vibrance and .3/75 sharpening)

_DSF5303-web by benjie edmonson, on Flickr
iso 800 F4.0 1/25 sec (captured as raw file +3 vibrance and .3/75 sharpening)

_DSF5102-web by benjie edmonson, on Flickr
iso 320 F2.0 1/25 sec (jpeg straight out of camera)

_DSF5149 by benjie edmonson, on Flickr
iso 1250 F2.8 1/15 sec (jpeg straight out of camera)

landcruising

Adventurer
Hello Ben,

I like the images! No problem there, but the camera is not for sale [yet] in the Netherlands, so I can't have a look and feel. In two weeks we will fly back to the jungle and I won't be out for another year!

I need a camera this week!

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

Scott Brady

Founder
Gf2

So, I finally made a decision - and bought the GF2 LUMIX for my adventure moto and B camera.

f9655_panasonic-lumix-gf2.jpg

I really wanted something small - very small, yet could interchange lenses. But here was the kicker for me. There is now a Canon EOS lens mount adapter for the micro 4/3, so I can have an ultra-small B camera to augment the 5D MKII in the field that will use all of the lenses in my bag. I can also fit the pancake lens and toss it in my pocket for bouncing around a village or bazaar. Shockingly, I found the camera for $499 on a super secret deal from BH. That included the 14-40 kit lens too- smokin.

This little camera can also take all of our Zuiko lenses with an adapter and even mount up Leica M mount glass. It shoots full 1080p HDV and captures at 12mp, enough for a two-page-spread in Overland Journal. I just pulled it out of the box last night, so no sample images, but I will try to post some up soon.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
So, I finally made a decision - and bought the GF2 LUMIX for my adventure moto and B camera.

f9655_panasonic-lumix-gf2.jpg

I really wanted something small - very small, yet could interchange lenses. But here was the kicker for me. There is now a Canon EOS lens mount adapter for the micro 4/3, so I can have an ultra-small B camera to augment the 5D MKII in the field that will use all of the lenses in my bag. I can also fit the pancake lens and toss it in my pocket for bouncing around a village or bazaar. Shockingly, I found the camera for $499 on a super secret deal from BH. That included the 14-40 kit lens too- smokin.

This little camera can also take all of our Zuiko lenses with an adapter and even mount up Leica M mount glass. It shoots full 1080p HDV and captures at 12mp, enough for a two-page-spread in Overland Journal. I just pulled it out of the box last night, so no sample images, but I will try to post some up soon.

Makes complete sense! I can't wait to play with this thing soon. Very impressive as I've heard other great rumblings about this camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach