Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

Paladin

Banned
I am looking at getting a tough compact and cant decide on a Panasonic TS-1 or a TS-2 or a olympus 8010.
any help would be great

cheers MC

I looked at this last year. For me, it came down to this:

TS-1: Better images

Olympus 6000: Lens cover, and half the price of the better tough cameras (the Panasonic and the Canon).

I dunno, but myself, I really don't understand the concept of having a pocket camera without a lens cover of any sort. It's just a recipe for disaster. And it's not like you can easily replace the lenses on these things, or install a cheap filter as a first line of defense. One bit of bad luck, and the camera is ruined.

I bought the Olympus. I can stick it directly in my motorcycle jacket pocket and retrieve it with dirty gloves on. I can leave it bouncing around on the passenger seat of the truck, and if I have to hit the brakes and it flies into the dashboard, no bother. Or I can leave it sitting on top of my pack in the bottom of the canoe. It's always ready to pick up and use, and I don't have to worry as much about dust, or scratching the lens.

The images aren't great, but mostly just for my own consumption. It was $180, I can throw it in my pocket no matter what I'm doing, and not worry about it.

We can debate the relative merits of the various tough cameras all day long. But IMO, this class of camera is the best one when talking about adventure cameras.

P9030028.jpg

P9030031.jpg

P9030032.jpg

Notice the black Pelican case that contains my DSLR that is NOT being used to get a picture of us seeking shelter from a thunderstorm on a backcountry canoe trip.

My biggest dislike of the camera is that it tends to blowout the sky a lot. It was very dark grey in real life. When you have a bright but overcast day, you just get a completely blown out white surface. There's no raw, so I don't think it can be fixed much. I don't think any of the tough cameras will do raw.

I also hate what Photobucket does to my pictures, the compression is terrible. Is Vimeo better or...? (but that's a whole other discussion). Not to say that this camera takes great photos, but these are not great examples. The first one is blurry because we were paddling like hell to find shelter from the storm, I'm twisting around in my seat to shoot backwards. The 3rd one, you can see the water on the lens and I think I was shivering from the cold. But the point of posting them is just to show an example of how they allow you to take pictures of moments you wouldn't be able to if you had a regular camera. I wish the camera better captured the "mood" of the scenes, but they're better than having nothing.

I'm interested in the new Panasonic DMC-TS3. The Tough 6000 has been sort of a "proof of concept" for me, and I wouldn't mind spending some more to get better pictures. But again, the lack of a lens cover gives me pause for concern.

Honu

lost on the mainland
For some, that works fine.

I tried learning using film camera's. For me and my limited ability to stay focused for extended periods, I simply learned NOT to be a photographer since it required me to behave like a scientist documenting the process ad nauseum in order to determine what worked and what didn't.

Once I got a decent enough digital camera (prosumer point & shoot) I was freed from being a secretary and could actually focus on learning.

:) the other thing this was over 30 years ago :) I learned

Honu

lost on the mainland
I'd like to add some thoughts I've been pondering about the past few days...

On my recent Moab trip, where I brought my DSLR + lenses and Panasonic GF1 + 20mm pancake..

My feeling from the trip was that the GF1 was still too big for my need. I really need something that is pocketable. The GF1 (or any m4/3 cameras for that matter) simply does not fill that requirement. The GF1 performed extremely well and I can certainly see the m4/3 format as a replacement for DSLR for many folks. However, I highly value the high ISO performance of a Full Frame DSLR and the large aperture wide angle lenses available for that format. As of right now, there is simply no replacement for the DSLR for my needs. The GF1 is a bit too close to the DSLR in its niche role. I really need a camera that accomodates the opposite extreme of my photography needs.

I'm thinking of trading the GF1 for S95 or the new Olympus NX-Z1.. Yes I'll sacrifice some image quality potential, but as of right now, I deem the compactness factor to be more important.

I have a Ricoh GRD P&S that fits in a pocket. The Ricoh high-end compacts (GRD, GX series) are the ultimate P&S when comes to ergonomics, but the new line of cameras from Canon have much more features and improved image quality.

So if you have a S95 and interested in trading, let's talk! ;)

ya know I kinda think the same at times ?
my thing is my wife carries the true compact lens goes in flat true pocket camera

my DSLR gear does not always go with me the pen does as it does the job of getting good shots and if we are out for the day it can fit in my day bag and or stay in the truck if it gets stolen or whatever ? bummer but not like replacing L glass and nice bodies 1 series or 5D series cost

in no way do I kid myself that M4/3 is a DSLR !!! its way better than the small P&S though so I live with that
but again the wife always has a true P&S on her

I really like the new S95 and very curious also what the new XZ-1 is going to be like ?
especially with the lens staying fast up to about 100 mm ? they say about 2.2 all the way up to 100 mm !!! that in itself pushes it over the s95 for me ?

landcruising

Adventurer
So I am about to replace my stolen Sony R1 [6 years old APS-C sensor].

I know what I want:

- pocketable [light and small enough to fit in a coat pocket]
- reliable and robust [on the road 24/7 - 340 days a year]
- APS-C sensor
- F2.5 or better
- great battery performance

So I ended up with this list:

a] Ricoh GRX + A12 28mm
b] Leica X1
c] Fuji X100

what are your thoughts?

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

Honu

lost on the mainland
my thoughts the ricoh is a cool idea but the sensor is not going to be the same depending on lens module ? and some are good others are basically a P&S setup ? so throw that out :)

the Leica I dont think is going to hold up to the new X100 for high iso images but the focus for moving objects I think is going to be better ? this is just from what I have seen and a few people I know/read who have had hands on experience with both

the downside to the M4/3 I think would be taking on and off a lens and the dust issues in your particular situation but it fits the other bills

I love my Pen setups but its not my pro camera ? its a fun around the house setup though and to the park cause it fits in my cargo pockets

I want to get a X100 sometime as it seems pretty cool cause of the fast lens high iso capability

so I would get the X100 if you can wait cause I do think its going to beat the Leica on quality of file but again if you are trying to capture decisive moments and movements I think its going to fall a touch short from my readings so far ? but really anything short of a DSLR is not going to be that focus :)

curious what you are going to get ;)

landcruising

Adventurer
My thoughts would be in getting a Canon S95 just to have as a small thing [backup] for Karin-Marijke to carry or just to trow into my shirt.

But apart from that I want something that delivers a good print of a full sized spread. I know some modules of the Ricoh are not that. But they might come along in the future. So I just look at what is out there today, because you can't look into the future. And to be honest I should also include the Sigma DP and the Samsung NX100, but I don't have a good feeling with those. I must also say that all my findings are based upon reading blogs and reviews as I don't have acces to a real shop.

Soon I will have one day of testing with all the models I like and will decide.

I still might need another for sports and animals something that starts at 300mm and is fast. But that's only once or twice a year.

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

landcruising

Adventurer
Shooting with my 10 year old Sony F-717 with 38-190mm F2.0-2.4 I can't believe that technology almost stood still. Of course this camera has only a very small sensor, but look at the specs. Impressive F2.0 at 38mm. But true it sucks at ISO 800 I still can get nice shots. Will I be disappointed with a Canon S95?!

ywen

Explorer
Just get a M4/3 camera with a small fast prime like 20mm f/1.7. Much better image quality than the S95, plus you can also get a telephoto for wildlife shooting. 2x crop factor means you get very close.

The smallest M4/3 bodies are the Olympus E-PL1/2 or Panasonic GF2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach