Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Which one? We are all over the map here on cameras.

And I would not call the FZ20 a P&S. It is, ahem, a "pro-sumer" camera. There's a term you don't see much any more.

I'd like to see some from the Olympus Scott posted up and the Lumix one that is waterproof. I'm always looking for a small, think waterproof camera to keep in the pocket.

That's what I thought I was getting with my Olympus Tough model, but I'm just not happy with the images it produces

ThomD

Explorer
I'd like to see some from the Olympus Scott posted up and the Lumix one that is waterproof. I'm always looking for a small, think waterproof camera to keep in the pocket.

That's what I thought I was getting with my Olympus Tough model, but I'm just not happy with the images it produces

OK. My new (orange) TS2 is in the hands of the men in brown. I'll have sample picts in a day or two. The TS1 is long gone and the TS2 is getting rare. The new TS10 isn't as wide angle.

Everything I've read makes me think that I'll use this camera when I need a waterproof camera, not because I think it is going to be great. In low light, I expect it to be crummy. It'll be my river rafting camera.

MatthewThompson

Adventurer
So you're at a birthday party. The main guest of the night walks in unannounced and you grab your camera and try and take a few shots of the excitement on everyones face as they walk in the door.

I don't take photos at parties unless I'm invoicing afterward, then I'd shoot with the 5D kit. The OP queried the board about expedition compact cameras, not birthday party DSLR setups.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Offroad: I am providing a link regarding the QL17. In this link you will read you can use a modern day battery for your auto exposure. The battery is an alkaline PX625A which can be found at most drugstores. Great camera. George

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/CanonCanonetGIIIQL17.html

From what I've read, that battery works for the GIII version but not the version I have. The one I need is an MR50 mercury battery or equivalent. There is an adapter available where you can use inexpensive button batteries but the adapter itself is nearly $50 and shipped from the UK.

Last edited:

bajasurf

Explorer
From what I've read, that battery works for the GIII version but not the version I have. The one I need is an MR50 mercury battery or equivalent. There is an adapter available where you can use inexpensive button batteries but the adapter itself is nearly $50 and shipped from the UK.

Adorama has the Wein Cell PX625 replacement battery for the QL17. The same voltage as the old mercury px625. Link to the battery and user reviews that have purchased the battery.

http://www.adorama.com/BYPX625W.html#ProductReviews

BillTex

Adventurer
Another ? about M4/3 which I guess would apply to DSLR's as well; how long a video can you record?

I undestand the limits of storage, but I have heard these camera heat up and cannot rcord for lengthy perios of time...is this true?

I can not find anything in Mfr specs related to video recording time...

Tx, Bill

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Another ? about M4/3 which I guess would apply to DSLR's as well; how long a video can you record?

Your right about the sensor heating up therefore restricting record times. IIRC I've read 30min as max rec. length for some. Not sure about others.

That said, I don't know of too many uncut cinema scenes lasting even 15min much less 30.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Panasonic TS-1

10-08-15069cE.jpg

Cropped.
10-08-15139cE.jpg

10-08-15201cE.jpg

10-08-15176cE.jpg

Cheers,
Peter

ywen

Explorer
Your right about the sensor heating up therefore restricting record times. IIRC I've read 30min as max rec. length for some. Not sure about others.

That said, I don't know of too many uncut cinema scenes lasting even 15min much less 30.

If you're not shooting weddings, then these continuous shooting limitations are nothing worry about.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
My friend works for a production company in Toronto and they cycle a number 5D II's throughout a shoot. Even though they don't shoot continuously for long periods they found that the sensors still got too warm when used over and over for more than an hour or so. Probably not a problem for most people but something budding videographers may want to watch for.

Honu

lost on the mainland
this was the camera I had when I was younger and what I learned on before getting into other gear basically from about age 14 to 16 learned on it
and still have it 35 years later :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• voipro3.jpg
    voipro3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 191

off-roader

Expedition Leader
this was the camera I had when I was younger and what I learned on before getting into other gear basically from about age 14 to 16 learned on it
and still have it 35 years later :)

For some, that works fine.

I tried learning using film camera's. For me and my limited ability to stay focused for extended periods, I simply learned NOT to be a photographer since it required me to behave like a scientist documenting the process ad nauseum in order to determine what worked and what didn't.

Once I got a decent enough digital camera (prosumer point & shoot) I was freed from being a secretary and could actually focus on learning.

Sirocco

Explorer
Going back a step on the current offerings, could someone offer some advice on slightly older models.

Im looking at 2nd hand models here in the UK and have got it down to:

Ricoh GX200
Leica D-Lux 3
Panasonic LX3

im not looking for swapping lenses as I have a Nikon D70s. just something to compliment my current kit. Tom Shepherds article in OJ sparked things up... damn him! I didn't want to spend huge bucks so thats why im looking at slightly older models, which to be honest, dont seem to be lacking much from the current range. Not sure what I am really after in terms of features. Raw and aperture/shutter priority. good sensor.

The Ricoh and Panasonic go for about £200 here and the Leica is £300. All secondhand prices.

Is the leica worth the extra £100?

any help appreciated.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk