Unlimited wrangler (LJ) Daily driver/expedition vehicle

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
weddingdland077.jpg

here's an updated pic as the LJ sits now, thats anza borrego dust on there, too.

lol. :shakin:

jeepboyd

Observer
btw 2 to 3 in of lift on a lj would not require a sye . OME hd is the way to go. also consider regearing when you lift the jeep (b/c of the weight i assume you plan on carrying and especially if you want you tow, gear lower than normal with the auto.) MORE PICS PLEASE ( in action)

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
Beowulf said:
Have you done any new work to your LJ?

hey there,
no i haven't.

LOL. I've actually de-modded it a bit.

1. Took off the rhino stickers (accident damage, door might be resprayed)...

2. i've removed the congo cage for now...i've been doing some mileage testing for a trip up to western montana and washington/vancouver this summer.

I'm thinking about my next mods with that trip in mind.

3. Removed my side steps, in preparation for my rock sliders once my truck is fixed. (see accident thread in fireside. got lightly t-boned by a bonehead)

i've taken it offroad like 5 times locally in the last few weeks, though, so it's definitely earning its keep.

its actually got a fair 1-2" layer of fresh mud on it right now. Looks good in brown!

EDIT: i almost forgot, it is getting a new set of shoes soon...99% sure it will be BFG AT's in the 30-31" flavor, unless i can find a sweet deal on a set of rubicon rims with MT-R's...since that will take about $600 out of the piggy, it will probably be it for a while. :)

Last edited:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
by the way, here's where i'm going with my wheel and tire package. I'm just going to go with 31" bfg's rather than the stockers...

just found a set on craigslist that I hope i can get my hands on. The willys edition wrangler below shares the same wheels with certain xj's from the 80's-90's. I just have to find a set and rattle can them whatever color i like. :)

willys6.jpg

ging

Beowulf said:
I am running 255s on:

OME ZJ/LJ springs
JKS Upper and lower Control arms
Nth degree Tummy Tuck
Double Cardan Shaft (preemptive strict to avoid vibes)
JKS Body lift.

Rides great. Rides even better with a little cargo. As sit it sits in these pitures it is fully loaded for week long trip to the San Juans.

I really dig your LJ. Any issues with your set up? or anything you'd do differently? I just ordered the Aev/Nth TT, how do the transmission mounts hold up and what did you do with your locker pumps...sorry for the all the ?'s but trying to avoid the buy then buy again syndrome.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Actaully there is nothing I would do differently. This set up has been perfect so far.

The locker pump is in just about the stock location in the place outlined by the Nth instructions.

I have only had this setup for 12,000 miles. So moderate trails have been part of that miles, but nothing extreme. The bushings look like they did on day one. I have not heard of anyone having issues with the Nth transmission mounts.

ging

Good to know...waiting for my TT from AEV. Couple more questions for ya..

What backspacing are the AVE wheels your running and any rubbing issues?

I plan on running the OME lift but no BL..Would I be better of with a 265X75X16 tire instead of the 255X85X16 or does it look like I'll have room?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The AEV rims measure 4.75". Stock Moabs on the Rubicon are 5”. My brother is running the Standard OME HD with 1” BL on 285/75 (33X11.5) MTRs and Stock Moabs. He had rubbing on the Stock Lower control arm. When he switched to JKS arms the rubbing stopped. The stock control arms are pretty wide. If he had been running 255/85 (33X10) he would not have had any rubbing even with the stock arms.

Now that takes care of the rubbing on arms. Next would be is there enough vertical clearance with only OME? I’d say yes as long as you use the OME HD if you are not going to run a bull bar or winch. If you are I’d go with OME ZJ/LJ. The OME ZJ coils are set for the weight of the Grand Cherokee V8.

Bare minimum, if you just were not comfortable with the amount of vertical clearance is to use the OME 10mm spacer. This thing is really thin, but can give you that small, just needed boost.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
For 255s I would second the ZJ/LJ spring combo. If the rear end of your LJ isn't too heavily loaded this gives plenty of room for 255s when things settle out. Just remember that you may have to adjust the front and rear bumpstops a bit to prevent interference on compression. As a rule of thumb, if you can't put the tire on the vehicle stock than you won't get a clean fit with a lift unless you adjust the bump stops.

Also remember that not all 255s are created equal. Some are a lot taller than others. I think the BFG 255s are some of the tallest, yet the Truxus 255s are not really even close.

If you do get any rubbing on the lower control arm you might try running a control arm with a bend to the inside. You don't see them too often but are a great idea for more clearance. I can't remember exactly but I think the stock WJs use a bent lower arm in from that only needs minor modifications to fit in a TJ.

The AEV 16" wheels are just about perfect for the 255s. The 8" width is plenty wide enough for the 255s. I would recommend that you use bead sealant goop ( black thick stuff ) on the inner and outer beads when you put everything together. I have used this stuff for years as poor mans beadlocks with very good luck.

ging

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to building up my LJ. All the ideas in my head are killing me. I should really just do some real soul searching cause the LJ's been more than capable in stock form for what i use it for but moddifying a jeep is half the fun.:D

So far torn between two ways to fit a 33" tire with no body lift....

#1 OME ZJ/LJ lift and 3/4" spring spacer...

#2 stock suspension and highline or rokmen flat fender mod...

Money wise the ZJ/LJ lift would be the ticket and I'd have $ left over for control arms...decisions, decisions...

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
one thing that i find challenging is to take the truck offroad first and truly see what needs to be changed.

we just went on a trail ride out to the desert with our jeep a few months ago with both stock trucks and lifted ones.

my jeep had no need for anything aftermarket other than the CB radio, and my cheapie HF winch(wife's piece of mind = worth a lot)

personally,i'm trying to limit myself to the upgrades that will truly make my jeep better than stock. (free jeep part catalogs every month make it hard:D)

personally I think lifting a vehicle more that an OME kit(i.e. higher spring rate for load carrying on rough roads) is taking away from the Jeeps inheirant(sp?) reliability, but I have the viewpoint of someone who likes to get FAR away from people and places, and therefore needs certain things, "just to work".

Don't get me wrong. I think jeep cheaped out on a handful of things, just to make production easier (i.e. stamped steel lower control arms, the shovel skidplate, no protection for the engine, etc.) and thats my focus.

just my .02 cents. feel free to continue talking about yur all's LJs in this thread...i love seeing different perspectives, its good stuff.:lurk:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
here's my plan as of today(subject to change daily :D)

winch.........................done
CB.............................done
hi-lift storage..............done
steel wheels............pending
tougher tires...........pending
lockable storage........not done.
external storage........not quite/still working
snorkel....................not done
rock sliders.............pending
engine skid..............not done
flatter belly skid...........not done

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I feel kodiak1232003 has the correct idea. From owning a completely stock 2003 SWB Rubicon and taking it many places I knew exactly what I need to upgrade for the most difficult terrain I travel. The only thing that I really noticed when using a stock Rubicon was the following issues:

o Hit the lower front control arms axle mount
o Got hung up on the stock T-case skid
o Scrapped the Gas Tank quite a bit.
o Broke a Zerk off the Tie Rod
o Bent the lip of a front Lower control arm right where it mounts to the axle.
o Skimmed the lower edge of my rear diff housing

To have alleviated these problems all I would have to do was:

o TT belly up skid
o JKS Miniskids for the control arm mounts
o New gas tank skid that raises 1”
o Broken zerk could still happen, but upgrade to Currie steering
o New lower control arms made out of tubing. (but I would not have bent the arms if I had the miniskids on)
o New Diff covers for protection, or Nth Sliders

From doing a light trail once fully loaded with camping gear, I noticed the problems above were amplified. So I knew a lift was in order to help with the carrying capacity. To keep things as stock as possible that is why I only run 33’s with OME ZJ/LJ. However, as overkill is second nature, other things got upgraded to make sure I never had any problems not matter what. For how I travel will I ever need everything…No, but I know it is there to keep me safe. I once heard a phrase that stuck with me.

“It is not so much as building an expedition vehicle that can get you in, but building on that can get you back out.”

Here is the full list of what is now on my Rig:

o OME ZJ/LJ (the zj springs are for the V8 Grand Cherokee. Same height as regular TJ OME coils but the spring rate is set for a V8 Engine)
o JKS Control Arms (upper and lower)
o JKS Mini Skids welded on the front lower control arm skids
o Currie Steering System
o Alloy Axle Shafts Front and Rear
o Alloy Axle Seals
o Yukon 4.56 gears
o Upgraded Drive Shaft Double Cardan Shaft
o Riddler Diff Covers
o Kilby Steering box Skid
o Nth Degree Mobility Tummy Tucker
o AEV Bridger Wheels
o Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid