unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

unURBAN

Adventurer
South Pole to Norway Drive?

...could possibly be the new name of our blog. I guess it depends if we can get through Northern Africa relatively safe and sound. At least the first part is officially done. I started on the South Pole in a 6x6 Ford E-350.
6883714765_72ba2dafd3_b_d.jpg

The company we worked for in Antarctica had driven two vehicles into the South Pole this season as support vehicles for two projects. The first one was the support vehicle for the Amundsen anniversary (one hundred years since Roald Amundsen was the first man on the geographical South Pole) and for the expeditions arriving for this specific date, the 14th of December. The second on was the support vehicle for Pat Farmer, and Australian who jogged (!) from the North Pole to the South Pole. At the end of the season both vehicles were to be driven back to Union Glacier camp, where ALE has its base. Union Glacier is just next to Hercules Inlet on the coast in the Chilean sector, and where most of the ski-all-the-way-to-the-south-pole expeditions start. Some weeks before a list of possible drivers had been put together, and yes, a kitchen assistant with som driving experience was on the list! Quite exiting. In the end we were two ALE mechanics, an expedition guide, and a kitchen assistant that packed their bags and got on the DC-3 heading to the South Pole.
The South Pole is at almost 3000 meters altitude, and it is significantly colder than at Union Glacier. The days when we were there to prepare the trip, the thermometer showed more or less 30 below (celsius). Shortly after we landed at the Pole, the second vehicle arrived with Pat Farmer, and it came into camp in a big, black cloud of smoke. Not good…. The turbo went a few kilometers out of camp, and a field repair had lasted only a few kilometers more before it broke completely and probably sent some metal particles into the cylinders (at least, that was the idea.. ). Car number two was moved to the category “overwintering”.
We were four people there to drive two vehicles back to Union Glacier. The optimal number for these conditions are three driving in shifts, but four is probably too much. Needless to say, I was quite nervous for my seat, but one of the mechanics stayed behind to take down camp for the winter. Phew… And the preparations continued.
6883713215_9b1cdf8ec1_b_d.jpg

Always smart to bring som extra fuel. This tank holds about 1200 liters, that is six 200 liters fuel drums. Fuel at the South Pole is flown in by aircraft, and is extremely expensive. I think I heard that a client would have to pay about 14000 USD for one of these drums at the Pole. We filled seven drums before we left!
6883713587_277a858047_b_d.jpg

Our camp was about one kilometer out from the Amundsen-Scott base at the Pole, but of course we had to do a round at the Pole before we headed north. It was a strange and surreal feeling to “drive around the world” before we drove out from the base and into more or less nothing…
6883713995_eac5848a4f_b_d.jpg

“The Road” out from the South Pole. As the other car recently came in this way, the tracks were clearly visible the first part of the trip.
6883715821_56cd998856_b_d.jpg

Proud unURBAN crew at “work”. Couldn't stop thinking about how much this would cost if I had been a client of ALE. It could have been worth it, though…
The trip went relatively undramatic across the plateu, and it is the absence of things to see that actually make the views so breathtaking. The first day you're just grinning and driving, but on the second day the reflections on where you are and what you're doing start coming to you. Still, in a nice heated car with the iPod connected to the stereo, cruising through an ice-dessert in a big 6x6 van with air suspension, the word surreal keeps popping up in my mind.
6883714363_eb87882d40_b_d.jpg

Nothing but snow in all directions
6883715341_fc7b17f9f7_b_d.jpg

Convenient to have your own gas station in the back of your car when you are driving across Antarctica.
Just after this picture was taken we had to stop and improvise a new slide. We brought a ski-doo with us back from the Pole, mainly to save weight for the planes, but also as a “second vehicle”. If something would have happened however, we would probably have been picked up by a Twin Otter. Anyway, the slide shredded about half way home, but some plywood got us going again.
6883716329_583f1960ba_b_d.jpg

6883716865_4846dd51cb_b_d.jpg

On the way back we also came across one of the expeditions on their way back from the South Pole. This season several expeditions tried to ski unsupported to the Pole and back to the starting point (by the coast). These guys had camped on the road, and I guess they were quite surprised when we pulled over next to their tent for a chat.
6883717301_b950cae9bc_b_d.jpg

After two days of driving we saw the first mountains. Union Glacier in in the Herritage Range, and we could see the mountains from a long distance. It was stunning to “take off” from the plateu and drive in between mountains. We know that where the glacier runs between and next to mountains, is where we find crevasses. The route we were driving is considered relatively safe, but of course, on a glacier you can never be 100% safe. Some years earlier a Brazilian research expedition had traveled the same route with a GPR device (Ground Penetrating Radar), and waypointed the dangerous areas. With these data we could be extra careful (drive around..) where we knew there were crevasses.
6883718125_869a32cc9d_b_d.jpg

The Antarctic Plateu with so much of nothing is facinating, but I think driving in between the mountains was my highlight on the trip. Here you find yourself driving up hills and over small passes, and view out of the windshield is magic. This last part is a more used route, and a couple of times every season there is a tractor train with fuel going out this way to a fuel depot for the Twin Otters flying to the Pole. In an earlier post we had a picture of one of these “trains” leaving camp with sledges loaded with fuel. The track after these sledges actually becomes quite a good road, and at some places we were probably doing 50 kilometers an hour.
Well. Even the drive of a lifetime comes to an end, and we drove into Union Glacier Camp 53 hours and about 1200 kilometer after we left the geographic South Pole.
6883718665_a5b4ecfe43_b_d.jpg

This trip was a fantastic experience, and I cannot think of a better bonus for two months of doing dishes!! The first part of the South Pole to Norway drive is hereby concluded.
6883717847_dd7c3a1d07_b_d.jpg

E

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Oh my God! Thank you so much for recording this and sharing it with us! That must some heater in that van as you look so comfy driving.
I am quite sure you were having a ball!
A buddy of mine once told me ...never camp on the road....you just don't know who might come along.:coffeedrink:
Thank you again. The B-dog.

GREENI

Adventurer
As was just said above, thanks so much for sharing, it's amazing to see that these things are happening whilst we go on with our normal lives.

Don't stop posting and take it easy !

unURBAN

Adventurer
Hey Guys!
Trying to go through some of the posts from when we were on the ice. Sorry for being slow... As you know, we're now back on the road going north, and I just sent Malin home to Norway from Buenos Aires Airport. She promised to take a look at the pics from the drive north.... :)
Working on arranging shipping, so I've now been through all info I can find about that.

Here is a link to trip report from a guy who took the same route from S. America to Africa and headed north. It is a detailed blog with useful information on his trip through Africa. The URL link below will take you to the point in His journey where he was shipping his vehicle to South Africa from S. America. http://transworldexpedition.com/?m=201003

Thanks for the link! Been following Nicholas for a while, but didn't know he had posted contact info to the shipping agents in BA.

^^^Nicholas Rapp's site is the best reference I've found so far in regards to shipping Buenos Aires to Cape Town. To save you some internet time, here's the cliff notes from TransWorld Expedition's shipping process:
I read somewhere that Malaysian Airlines has the best rates for flights. I believe you will need to get a Carnet for the Patrol, but I imagine you have one from when you shipped it to the US?

By the way, i think this is the best news ever! Your zigzap itinerary looks like a great start on planning. :sombrero: You may need a detour towards the end though.
Luckily you have plenty of time to get that part sorted out.
There's tons of info available on the Africa Overland Network, you should probably post on there to get more answers. When you have more time, another great source is Africa4x4cafe. Hope this helps...in case it's not obvious, i'm trying to make up for all the border crossing info I've borrowed from your travels!

Exellent info! Have been in touch with these agencies, and got a quote from Buenos Aires. Still, after considering several factors, I've decided to ship from Montevideo in Uruguay. Seems to be a little easier logistically and papperwise, and price is about the same. And I get to see one more country.
We have not used a carnet so far on this trip. The vehicle was "temporarily imported" into US. But Malin is picking up a carnet in Norway, and she'll flly directly to South Africa and meet me there as soon as the car is loaded onto the ship.
And our zig-zag itinerary is more of a "doing something in these areas" kind of thing. We still don't know where we go first, or even if it is still possible to drive through Sudan to get all the way to Europe. We'll see when we get there.... There will probably be info on the sites you mentioned when we get closer.
Thanks!!
E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
That is epic and inspires me even more! I have been dreaming about driving across Africa since I was a child. And hey...why not add the Middle East, Russia and Asia to the list! ;)

Would love to!! But there is this little detail about finances.... I'll definitely let you know if we come up with something smart and keep on driving. ;-)

E

C'mon Espen, we all know you will do the rest of the world sooner or later :) Just try to wait for us! We promise to try to speed up...

Thanks for the awesome vicarious life I'm living through you Malin and the Patrol.

unURBAN

Adventurer
While they are at it in their revolution, maybe Egypt could review the Carnet de Passage deposit process...

It's 3 times the value for North Americans, but Europeans have more options. Some AAA club have a deposit/guarantee system where you don't have to actually give 300% the value of your vehicle. And there is other ways too...

When we crossed with our Land Cruiser, we were with 4 BMW motorcycles (German/South African) and the guys only paid a fraction of the values of their bikes to get their carnet.

As for us, our Carnet was not "officially" covering Egypt, but the custom agent was too drunk to see the difference.

you can read more here (sorry for the hijack)

http://2aroundtheworld.com/?p=378

Hi Christian!
Thanks for the post! Egypt has a pretty bad reputation for beurocracy and extra costs at their borders. However, I've been assured (the Norwegian AA) that our carnet with a standard value (of the car) should be sufficient. I think it could be different for European registered vehicles, but I'm not really sure. We'll see how it goes.... And it will of course also deppend if we get all the way up there.

E

unURBAN

Adventurer
middle east is not so dangeruse as it sounds...I hear horror tails about south America as well...but it does not matter to me..I know things are never how they are shown on TV news...
You are all welcome to visit here (Israel, Jordan) for some of the most interesting places on earth, easy-to-go-anywhere off road adventures...
Joy

Hi Joy!
We would love to drive through and explore your area. The offroad touring and the archeological sites are in my opinion probably some of the best in the world. Fo us, it would be a matter of time and financing, so I cant give you any guarantees for this trip, probably not. However, there will be more trips in the future, and eastern mediterranian and middle east is high on the bucket list! We'll see, we'll see! :)
Thanks for the pictures!
E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Amazing. You're so fortunate to have been able to see a corner of the world that few of us ever will. Let me know if they need an EMT and a trauma nurse to work at the arctic camp, 14 or so months from now. We can shovel snow like it's nobody's business :coffeedrink:

I'll keep that in mind! And welcome "on the road"!! Looking forward to see posts and pictures!

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
And to everybody else that I haven't mentioned or quoted directly, thank you so much for following and commenting on our thread. It is good to know that you are keeping an eye on us! :)

E&M

C'mon Espen, we all know you will do the rest of the world sooner or later :) Just try to wait for us! We promise to try to speed up... Thanks for the awesome vicarious life I'm living through you Malin and the Patrol.

I really hope we can do that, Luis! And it would be awsome to have company!
And give Lacey a hug from us!
E&M

Mack73

Adventurer
Love love love your documentation of the journey. I can't wait to follow you through Africa.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Surfy

Adventurer
Hi JP,

middle east is not so dangeruse as it sounds...I hear horror tails about south America as well...but it does not matter to me..I know things are never how they are shown on TV news...
You are all welcome to visit here (Israel, Jordan) for some of the most interesting places on earth, easy-to-go-anywhere off road adventures...
Joy

Hi Joy

I track many current travelblogs, and have read many blogs about finished worldtrips.

Israel seems to have the worst bordercrossing over all... The authorities decompose the cars and bikes from the travellers, and seems to be very unfriendly over all. Couples are individually interrogated for severall hours and and and...

When people on worldtrips suggest to find a way to skip isreal, when they have crossed so many borders - they know about what they speak. They had crossed many borders...

I dont try it myself - but i will search a way to leave israel out, when i come in the situation, because of the reports from other travellers.

From Jordan i dont hear much bad things, only issue i know - is - that you have to pay 400% of the car listprice, when your car got stolen.

http://www.reisen-tcs.ch/etc/medialib/travel/reiseinfos/pdf.Par.0017.File.tmp/CPD_demande_EN.pdf

Thats for Israel and Jordan issues - who will change my tavel plans with my own car. With a rental - maybe - but never ever with my own car...

Surfy

Last edited:

unURBAN

Adventurer
Ruta 3 and Patagonia

When we were back in Punta Arenas and our contract with ALE ended our main goal was to get up to Buenos Aires or Montevideo to get the Patrol shipped over to South Africa. Travelling north we started with a detour to the northwest to Torres del Paine National Park. The weather did not cooperate so there were no towers to be seen.

6938876367_f8de611776_b_d.jpg

We did not feel that we had the time to wait around for better weather so we crossed into Argentina.

Driving on the eastern side of Patagonia is pretty monotone and boring. Especially when the surroundings mostly looks like this.

6938961637_ce1685a345_b_d.jpg

The most exciting we saw one day was the valley around Rio Santa Cruz.

6938877979_ee5c5358c2_b_d.jpg

When we made it all the way east we hit Ruta 3, the paved road running all the way up to Buenos Aires, it got even more boring, but at least we could cover good distance on this road. Every now and then we had to get of Ruta 3 just to break up the monotone drive. At Cabo dos Bahias we did find some wildlife with a colony of 9000 breading pairs of Magellan penguins and their chicks.

6792767946_134c1f0240_b_d.jpg

Espen got a new friend.

6938875759_1d50f4fd77_b_d.jpg

Penguins are really cute and they look pretty innocent, but they do have some serious fights.

6938875479_f72c3f4b3d_b_d.jpg

The further north we drove the warmer it got. After three months in Antarctica + 38 degrees Celsius is hot…, but it was great to wear shorts and T-shirts again.

6792774168_2beee66c4c_b_d.jpg

A beach is the perfect lunch stop.

Evening stroll along the beach at low tide in Balneario El Cóndor.

6792775296_ea256f3d44_b_d.jpg

Ten days and 3200 km from Punta Arenas we arrived in Buenos Aires airport where I, Malin, boarded a plane to go home to Norway for a few weeks to visit family and friends, bring all the winter clothing to Norway and pick up the Carnet de Passage (the car’s passport) that we need in Africa. Espen will work on shipping the Patrol to Africa and then we will meet up on a (for us) new continent to continue our travel.

Malin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad