Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Dan, I am not a J30 owner, but when I had my Montero, I had two wooden dowels, one for closed, and one open 1 inch. and I would rest them in the window track, so even he someone jimmied the latch, without breaking glass, they would not open. Let me know if that doesn't make sense...

Hi J30 owners,

When they're closed how strong is the latch?
Would someone be able to jimmy the window open if they were determined?

Is it possible to open the window a small amount (an inch or two) and "lock" it there so it can't be forced open further?

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan, I am not a J30 owner, but when I had my Montero, I had two wooden dowels, one for closed, and one open 1 inch. and I would rest them in the window track, so even he someone jimmied the latch, without breaking glass, they would not open. Let me know if that doesn't make sense...

Thanks Jay, that makes perfect sense and I'm reminded that my family did exactly the same thing in our house when I was growing up :)

-Dan

BVClimber

Observer
I've had both the autohome airtop and I've had the J30 now for one winter season. In comparison there is way more room in the autohome (the non-clam style) which is nice really if you need to spend some time in the tent... lazy and bad weather kind of thing. The autohome was a bit better in terms of condensation build up in really cold weather. I'm in Calgary Alberta and will camp in it whenever rain/shine snow etc. Coldest so far in the J30 was about -30 celcius. With two guys there was definitely condensation,even with a window open and a bit of cross flow. Overall, I'd chose the J30 over the autohome everytime for drive ability... lower center of gravity is a huge win, and access to the inside of the jeep is a huge plus. I find the biggest benefit of the connectivity is turn on the vehicle for about 10-15 mins in the morning on those cold days and the dry warm air will expunge any of the build up condensation, which is a huge plus.

I also have the rear sliding window. It's really useful, has a screen and seems pretty sturdy. I'm sure if anyone wanted to break the latch they could, but it'd be just as easy to bust any of the other glass in the Jeep.

jeepovich

Explorer
I just discovered another use for J30. All I need to do is add vinyl graphics of a circle with H in the middle and I will have a legitimate helipad :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I just discovered another use for J30. All I need to do is add vinyl graphics of a circle with H in the middle and I will have a legitimate helipad :)

Pretty cool. No matter how simple, I find these aerial drone videos captivating.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
To window, or not to window? That is the question. For those of you that didn't order windows in your J30, do you now regret that decision? For those of you that did order windows, do you regret that decision? I've gone back and forth on the window issue for weeks now, and I'm supposed to order my J30 today. I will have the back stuffed with gear on the cargo drawer and cargo shelf, so likely the windows won't be of any practical use while driving. However, aesthetically, they look pretty good on J30. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigfish

Observer
My first top had no windows. My Gen 2 has windows. If you spend considerable time in traffic or tight trails you'll quickly get annoyed by the "blind spot". You will be surprised how much you can stuff in the back and still see out the window. The passenger side is the only one that matters though.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My first top had no windows. My Gen 2 has windows. If you spend considerable time in traffic or tight trails you'll quickly get annoyed by the "blind spot". You will be surprised how much you can stuff in the back and still see out the window. The passenger side is the only one that matters though.

Seems like a good option would be a window on the passenger side, and a cargo compartment on the driver's side. Maybe that could be an option some day.

CargoWindow3_zpsyl2x1gjn.jpg

MTSN

Explorer
To window, or not to window? That is the question. For those of you that didn't order windows in your J30, do you now regret that decision? For those of you that did order windows, do you regret that decision? I've gone back and forth on the window issue for weeks now, and I'm supposed to order my J30 today. I will have the back stuffed with gear on the cargo drawer and cargo shelf, so likely the windows won't be of any practical use while driving. However, aesthetically, they look pretty good on J30. Thoughts?

I'm just about to order mine as well, and I'm ordering a sliding passenger window with none on the driver's side. I have a boxer who will be in the back, so having a window that will open will be great for him and it will make switching lanes and trail duty a little easier. I don't really see a point other than aesthetics to do a driver's side window.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the driver side rotopax and window on passenger. Don't regret either, pretty sure I would have had at least one accident without the window. I stuff mine full on trips but the other 90% of the time the window saves my rear end.

Espo78

Adventurer
If I ordered one without windows I would add a "blackout" decal in the window area to simulate a tinted window. If it's glossy enough people would never know the difference.

jeepovich

Explorer
I ordered my without windows. John tells me that it is very easy to install one later on (using a stencil, cut out the hole and mount the window with rubber gasket). I like the look of no windows. My friends joke with me and tell me that it looks like an ambulance. Before ordering I started to pay attention to how I drive and do I really use that rear window. I found that I use rear pass door window only. The only times I would use the far rear windows was during reverse driving in parking lots.
A month before ordering it, I made a cardboard cover for the far rear windows. I found that I had no problems. One of the advantages of not having windows is that you can attach things to that area (velcro works great with J30's interior carpeting)

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Jscherb, I'd love to put at least one hatch in for sure. You should make those available ASAP!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Jscherb, I'd love to put at least one hatch in for sure. You should make those available ASAP!

I posted the photos as an idea for the guys at Ursa Minor, maybe they'll decide to offer hatches as and option for their campers. I'm not in business, so making them available commercial isn't something I'm in a position to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach