Vehicle Security

Serious security statement-

I am looking for a really really loud alarm, the type that emits a noise similar to those "personal security alarms". The type that have a high-pitch ear-splitting frequency that really pisses off everyone in earshot.

I'd like one of those attached to a "touch the car" type security alarm.

Anyone know of such a beast, or would that be something I need to jimmy up myself?

And as far as locking valuables away, that's probably hte best way to go about it. Thieves go for the path-of-least-resistance. If they can't see it, they're not going to break in to "see if it's there". Too much liability for them.

Thieves rely on two principles- Ease and Speed. Make things tough and laborous to steal, and they will move on to the next rig to pick apart.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
CoastalDefender said:
Serious security statement-

I am looking for a really really loud alarm, the type that emits a noise similar to those "personal security alarms". The type that have a high-pitch ear-splitting frequency that really pisses off everyone in earshot.

I'd like one of those attached to a "touch the car" type security alarm.

Anyone know of such a beast, or would that be something I need to jimmy up myself?

A very good friend of mine has a house in the of Tennessee and he has always feared being broken into. He got SIX fire engine sirens and bolted them into the attic space. They are triggered by his home made alarm system and have their own battery backup. The point is not to attract attention, but to make it so painful for intruders that they are not willing to tolerate the sonic assault and leave.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
For vehicle theft I am talking to my lock smith buddy. I have a older Toyota that you can steal with a nail file. Honest, the ignition lock is crap from the factory and I have accidentally started the truck with the key for my wifes Honda. I can remove the key after it is started and running (actually handy because I can let it warm up and lock the doors) He thinks he can rebuild the lock and pin it out in such a way that it should deter that some.

I also plan to put a keyed switch on the fuel pump wire. Some where I can easily reach before getting out that would not be noticeable to a thief. Possibly under the passenger seat under the floor mat and armored underneath.

On carb trucks you can put a valve in the fuel line and the sweet thing is it will start and run and pull out then die about 20ft away right out in the middle of the road where it is drawing attention. I like that because somebody trying to restart a dead vehicle in the middle of the road possibly blocking traffic draws a LOT of attention. Most thieves that have just tore up a column are not going to hang around long trying to restart it. I may put a delay timer on the fuel pump wire to achieve the the same effect on my FI engine.

I bought my truck because it had a removable top. Problem is no secure interior storage. Wally world sells a $50 safe that is almost the same size as the center console in my truck. A poor mans Tuffy.

I figured it would make a nice replacement to the flimsy plastic factory console. Bolted to the floor with a flip up armrest. It would be big enough for stuff like digital camera, GPS etc. I almost bought one last night. They have some bigger models that I am considering bolting to the floor in the rear for lap top etc.

My Storage drawer is bolted to the floor and to get to anything you have to open the gate and pull the drawer out. I am working on a way to make it impossible to open the gate. I am thinking a dead bolt into the side wall. The other storage areas are fluids and low dollar items that would piss me off if stolen but not be a huge financial loss. I'll tack weld bolts on stuff like the winch.

Long term I am considering building a new dash. I want to mount a laptop but the problem is my 2 Door 4 Runner is the passenger seat moves a lot to get the kids in and out. I have a couple Gamble lap top mounts but I cannot figure out a way to mount them that is not blocking the seat. I know a guy parting out a truck with the same dash as mine so I am thinking of buying that dash to hack on and move some stuff around and make a pocket in the dash that a laptop will slide out of when needed but slide in when not and be secure. I figure if I Raise the dash to the same level as the gage cluster the full width of the truck I can make a LOT of room.

Maybe sink another little safe in place of the glove box. Relocate that crap ignition switch to the dash with a better switch and armored so you can't get at it. Figure out a remote colum lock. That would be a good deterant to a theif if the colum no longer has the ingnition lock but the colum is still locked.

Make some lock plates to go over Stereo and com gear that would take a cutting torch to get out if you don't know how to release it. It is something for the future so we will see if I ever do it.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Grim Reaper said:
... Figure out a remote colum lock. That would be a good deterant to a theif if the colum no longer has the ingnition lock but the colum is still locked. ...

You know, military vehicles (at least the older ones) have a chunk of logging chain welded to the floor, then you take a wrap around the steering wheel and put a padlock on it. Cheap and effective, even as a 'visual' deterrent.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
You know, military vehicles (at least the older ones) have a chunk of logging chain welded to the floor, then you take a wrap around the steering wheel and put a padlock on it. Cheap and effective, even as a 'visual' deterrent.
Unfortunately Thieves are use to dealing with the club and the quick way to bypass that is hack saw the steering wheel in one spot. Same would work with chaining the wheel unfortunately. It is also not as passive so you are not as likely to tire of locking it all the time.

The best anti theft device is one they can't find to override and takes minimal effort to use. Making a major change from the norm is a good start. If a Thief is practiced at Toyota's and he gets in there and finds no column ignition switch but one on a plate steel dash and the steering wheel is still locked.....He's probably going to grab whats laying around and take off. A thief walks by sees a chain on the wheel he already has a good idea on how to over come that before getting in the truck if they are a pro. :(

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Grim Reaper said:
Unfortunately Thieves are use to dealing with the club and the quick way to bypass that is hack saw the steering wheel in one spot. Same would work with chaining the wheel unfortunately. It is also not as passive so you are not as likely to tire of locking it all the time.

The best anti theft device is one they can't find to override and takes minimal effort to use. Making a major change from the norm is a good start. If a Thief is practiced at Toyota's and he gets in there and finds no column ignition switch but one on a plate steel dash and the steering wheel is still locked.....He's probably going to grab whats laying around and take off. A thief walks by sees a chain on the wheel he already has a good idea on how to over come that before getting in the truck if they are a pro. :(

All true, but I tend to prefer visual deterents, that would help influence a thief to move on to the next car, not a hidden deterent that they only find out about once they've broken in.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine put "I love my German Shepherd" stickers on his truck and left a dog leash visibly laying on the passenger seat. With the privacy glass, no one could really be sure if there is a dog in the truck or not. He swore it works. BTW, until this day, he never actually owned a dog!!

travel dodge

Adventurer
my dad used to have a caddy that had an after market kill switch that required you to rub a magnet under the dash to start it, seems to work great the two times it was broken into. He had that system in the early 80's. I have not been able to find anything like it but it seems like a good option. Again this system does not provide anything visual but I figure it with padlocks on the doors and a big dog on the passanger seat I should be all set.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
j_nigrelli said:
if there was privacy glass, how could anyone see the leash?
Like most vehicles, windshield and driver/passenger side windows had regular tint, privacy glass just in the rear ;)

cruiser guy

Explorer
Grim Reaper said:
I also plan to put a keyed switch on the fuel pump wire. Some where I can easily reach before getting out that would not be noticeable to a thief. Possibly under the passenger seat under the floor mat and armored underneath.

On carb trucks you can put a valve in the fuel line and the sweet thing is it will start and run and pull out then die about 20ft away right out in the middle of the road where it is drawing attention. I like that because somebody trying to restart a dead vehicle in the middle of the road possibly blocking traffic draws a LOT of attention. Most thieves that have just tore up a column are not going to hang around long trying to restart it. I may put a delay timer on the fuel pump wire to achieve the the same effect on my FI engine.

This is VERY common in Central America. Now when theives steal the vehicle they cut you off and force you to stop, wave a handgun in your face and force you to come along to show where the kill switches are!! If you're lucky they'll let you go in 10-15 minutes, if not they take you to a remote spot and leave you or worse!

That kind of defeats the purpose. I'd hate to lose the vehicle but I'd like it even less if I'm forced to come along at gunpoint!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal