VMI Offroad Trailer Registry... and support group.

IM1RU

Observer
Were you just down in Moab last week? I think I saw you leaving on Thursday when we were heading into town.

As for photo's, try a hosting site like photobucket or such. You upload the photo's, and click the URL link and just paste it in your reply post.

I still don't see how the Timbren failed, it looks like the frame on the trailer broke. Did you look at my thread and how I mounted it?

Seacoast65

Were you just down in Moab last week? I think I saw you leaving on Thursday when we were heading into town.

As for photo's, try a hosting site like photobucket or such. You upload the photo's, and click the URL link and just paste it in your reply post.

I still don't see how the Timbren failed, it looks like the frame on the trailer broke. Did you look at my thread and how I mounted it?

Moab was a zoo. I did see you go by.
The frame is fine. Think we were a little heavy for the setup.
Did you stay over the weekend.

IM1RU

Observer
Moab was a zoo. I did see you go by.
The frame is fine. Think we were a little heavy for the setup.
Did you stay over the weekend.

The car show was this weekend, and yes it was a ZOO!
It's funny because I've only seen one other VMI trailer besides ours until then. They are pretty distinctive, and hard to miss.

We were down there for 4 nights, pre-running some trails we're leading at GONE Moab in a few weeks.

Do you have any other photo's of the failure? It looks like that is the cross bracing that goes from one side to the other. It also looks like it is aluminum, and bolted on the outside of the slot in the control arm instead of the inside. Was that how they mounted it?

IM1RU

Observer
.... I just looked at the photo again..... Another question, did the actual steel Timbren component fail or just that piece of Aluminum?

And which Timbren set up did you have?

Beautiful trailer BTW. Where abouts in UT do you live?

Last edited:

IM1RU

Observer
This is how it should have looked:

I welded mine in, where you have the tow bolts, and that Aluminum tube was too small. Should have been 1/4" x 2" x 3" steel according to their directions.... http://timbren.wpengine.netdna-cdn....SR5200-7000-3500HD-Instructions-Rev012215.pdf

IMG_1015_zpsoizqvb8k.jpg

Last edited:

Seacoast65

.... I just looked at the photo again..... Another question, did the actual steel Timbren component fail or just that piece of Aluminum?

And which Timbren set up did you have?

Beautiful trailer BTW. Where abouts in UT do you live?
Sent you a private message.

Downing

Hi Everyone! My first post in this Forum, although I'm very active in a couple of others: the ScubaBoard Belize Forum (avid scuba diver) and the Jeep Wrangler JK forum (2017 Jeep JK Willys 2-door).

I don't have a VMI trailer yet but will be putting down my money tomorrow. Unlike many of you, I'm going small and getting the Explorer model with only a few bells and whistles: Thule low-profile rack, Lock n Roll Hitch, spare tire mounted on the front, custom paint job (red to match my Jeep), a slide for my ARB fridge and a 12V power system. I'm still debating whether to get full-length slides but leaning against it.

This will be mainly a camping gear hauler for my JK. I won't add a RTT as long as I have Gus, The Wonder Dog. I can't see lugging a 50-pound dog up and down a ladder, and there's no way he would allow me to sleep without him in the tent.

Two big things drew me to VMI: aerospace/marine grade aluminum and proximity to Portland, Oregon, where I live. Massive weight savings over steel without the corrosion issues, and VMI's close enough that I can drive up and bring it home myself. One trailer manufacturer in Alabama wanted $2K just to ship it. Jeez!

Looking forward to joining the VMI family.

Last edited:

Downing

When I ordered my VMI Explorer trailer in May, Mike told me that prices would be going up soon due to the increase in the cost of the marine grade aluminum. He wasn't kidding. I just cruised their website, and the Explorer's base price jumped $1,000 on June 1st. Really glad I got my order in on May 29th. :D

Downing

Got two "proof of life" photos from VMI today. Last I heard, the ETA was around mid-September. It's looking pretty close to finished to me!

thumbnail_0831181522a.jpgthumbnail_0831181522b.jpg

VMI Xtender

Thought you guys would like to see what has been brewing here at VMI the new Summit series trailer are now available, Crawler Summit, Alpine Summit, and Compass Summit, the Canyon Summit will be available shortly.

Attachments

• Email photo spread 2.jpg
    Email photo spread 2.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 142
  • Email photo spread 1.jpg
    Email photo spread 1.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Email Doc.jpg
    Email Doc.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Email Doc Interior.jpg
    Email Doc Interior.jpg