What are the sub $1k options? Are they any good?

CurtStyler

Observer
I have the Smittybilt and made a quick review covering some of the differences between it and the others. I'm happy with the tent and for the price ($850.00) it's a great first RTT.

I actually like the ladder on the Overlander, it's the square ladder instead of the expandable style on some others. It makes it easy to take it apart and clean when the Florida sand inevitably gets in the tracks.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/154951-Smittybilt-Overlander-RTT-Review

Smittybilt Overlander by Curt Styler, on Flickr

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Yeah I read your review and watched the video- very informative, so thanks. It's much of the reason the Smittybilt was the back up if I can't get the Tepui.

Kevin108

Explorer
What don't you like about the ladder?

I'm currently about 280 lbs and the stock ladder feels insubstantial. (I've always been big, but recovery from an injury/surgery last year led to some weight gain.) Also, with the height of my vehicle, the ladder is at a near-vertical position. That's great for the support of the loaded tent floor, but awkward for climbing in and out. My solution has been to carry a separate 330 lb-rated telescoping ladder for entry/exit. It's also proven useful for installing the rain fly and other camp tasks.

2015-10-30%2010.43.15.jpg

I'm considering adapting the telescoping ladder to attach in place of the stock ladder. Another possibility is to simply order a telescoping ladder from another manufacturer. My buddy bought a Tepui over the winter. Cursory measurements showed their ladder to be compatible with the Smitty base, so I'm going to test fit his and may end up just ordering one from them as a finished product.

F40

Adventurer
I'm currently about 280 lbs and the stock ladder feels insubstantial. (I've always been big, but recovery from an injury/surgery last year led to some weight gain.) Also, with the height of my vehicle, the ladder is at a near-vertical position. That's great for the support of the loaded tent floor, but awkward for climbing in and out. My solution has been to carry a separate 330 lb-rated telescoping ladder for entry/exit. It's also proven useful for installing the rain fly and other camp tasks.

2015-10-30%2010.43.15.jpg

I'm considering adapting the telescoping ladder to attach in place of the stock ladder. Another possibility is to simply order a telescoping ladder from another manufacturer. My buddy bought a Tepui over the winter. Cursory measurements showed their ladder to be compatible with the Smitty base, so I'm going to test fit his and may end up just ordering one from them as a finished product.

Do you have the ladder extension?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Well this was good to see this morning, the Ayer from Tepui looks to be back based on their site. They are local to me, so there are a lot of reasons why this is a good solution:

- post sale support
- no shipping
- they probably can help with initial mounting
- price is right in line with the Smittybilt for the most part

I also wanted this one as its lighter and smaller than other options. So I'm going to call them and see what's the scoop.

I have this Ayer on my JKUR / Gobi, actually had 2 up there for quite a while. I love it, although a size increase is probably in the cards someday. For my daughter and I it is perfect. My wife wasn't so much of a fan, I think getting us all together in one tent will help.

I don't really notice the weight, haven't been too concerned off camber (no more than normal concern) and don't really see a huge MPG hit either. I think we've already talked about noise... But I have so much tire noise that the rack and tent are barely noticeable.

I basically look at this as the awesome blanket fort I was TRYING to build at 10 years old.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the door opening is not ideally sized for someone 6' tall.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Thanks for that. So I'm 6'7" and my wife is 6', but have accepted more or less that the world at large doesn't really make stuff for normal sized people.

I think I'm pretty set on a Kargo Master Congo cage or whatever and the Ayer. I called and talked to the Tepui folks- very nice and patient with all my questions, but a bit Santa Cruz in being a bit lacsadasical (we drove down during showroom hours on a whim and no one was there or an explanation, and the website isn't the greatest with some of the availability stuff), but otherwise seem to be a solid outfit where I'd feel I was getting the stupid priced treatment for a more reasonable outlay (unlike the Smittybilt, which would kinda be a price war research project).

Again, I'd love a Gobi, but I can't justify the cost (at well over 3x the KM) for the very minimal use it will get.

spikemd

Explorer
I have the TuffStuff and recommend it completely. My buddy has the Tepui Autana from 2 years ago (the new one is star gazer) and it literally is the same tent. Material looks to be the same, mattress, the only thing different is the ladder. The TuffStuff has the fixed 2 piece ladder and the Tepui is telescoping. Since my truck is high, I need the extension to the 2 piece flat ladder. I originally was going to 'upgrade' to the telescoping ladder but my buddy hates his. It frequently doesn't lock in place and the rungs are at different heights. He prefers the flat style and now with the extension, I do to. I just drilled in new holes for the extension and leave it up top.

I spent a night at the entrance of the Rubicon in snow and rain and I stayed warm and dry. The awning had a small lake in it, but the material was waterproof. Very happy with my purchase.

I wasn't planning on buying a RTT but at King of the Hammers last year, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse and didn't have to worry about shipping. Now that I have it, I have spent about 10 nights in it and will never go back. So much easier to setup and takedown.

I think the $1100 or so price includes shipping. It's a great deal.

spikemd

Explorer
Test fit of awning in my driveway. It is too high on the rack on my rangie so I need the extension for the awning and ladder. They sell it as a package and a the cheapest on the market.

2016-03-23 12.10.49.jpg
2015_moab29.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Well, if you've been looking around, there is another thread in this section about how REI is now carrying Tepui tents. With our dividend and the 20% coupon, looks like I can get an Ayer for just over $500. Hard to pass that up. So for the full solution (rack included) I'll be only a scoshe over $1k (with tax) all in. Methinks winner winner chicken dinner.

grogie

Like to Camp
I have a Tepui Ayer. It is a small RTT, which I went with as I mounted it on a small trailer and an opening lid which I wanted to keep the weight down. The wife and I fit fine in it as we're not large people, but I don't think two large people would fit well.

Otherwise we love it. It's great to sleep in and well constructed. It's taken a pounding with rain and remained dry. I'd buy one again no questions.

JHemU5.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
So I just saved over $300 with the 20% coupon and my dividend at REI on an Ayer. I'll order the rack from Amazon. I'll be all in at $1100 shipped for a tent and rack so I'd say mission accomplished.

spikemd

Explorer
Wow! That is a screaming deal! I had over $350 in dividends this year, thanks to an REI credit card. Can't believe the 20% off coupon works for the tents. Sometimes they restrict those from bikes/kayaks, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl