What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

rubicon91

Explorer
I'm interested to hear what you think of the full doors and hard top, versus the half doors.
I've been considering 1/2 doors with your same window mod. :)

Hope Jeep Expo is awesome! :beer:

Scott,

My Jeep actually came with Full doors when I purchased it. I had always wanted to go back to half doors. Well about 2 1/2 years after I purchased the Jeep I was able to trade to a hard top from the soft top. About 3 months later I found a guy who wanted to trade straight up his half doors for my full doors. Uppers were perfect 1 small scratch total. So I went with it. I was completely disgusted with the uppers after trading with how absolutely loud and flappy they were. So along came Jeff's design and I jumped on the sliders. What a night and day difference. Fast forward a year since I got the uppers and I found a full set albeit they were silver manual full doors. Guy wanted $1200 for all 4. Score so I jumped on them. Now I have both. I decided to paint the rears and use them on my trip to expo as I will not be removing the rear uppers traveling however if weather is nice I will pull the fronts off. I absolutely love my half doors. With that being said what I do not love is SW FL from April to October. It rains just damn near every day and makes enjoying the half doors difficult. So my plan for now is to use full doors in summer months half doors in winter spring months. With my arb 50 qt in the rear taking off the uppers made life difficult with storing them in the rear during said rainy season so unless it is the weekend I just leave them on. Driving with the half doors and the sliders in is relatively quiet. Not as quiet as the full doors but a close second. No flapping at all. They are heavy with adding in the windows so that is a plus. I love my half door hard top setup. At the moment I have a soft top on as I found a brand new one for a few hundred dollars down here a month or so ago so I decided to use that til its time for expo. Ok rant over my opinion without the upper sliders the JK half doors suck with the noise. With the sliders they are awesome.

Edit first picture here is my Jeep about 2-3 years ago and then here is the trip I did in June with a few buddies and I ran with the half doors with uppers and hard top. Drove all over FL for 9 days or so.

Attachments

• photo90.jpg
    photo90.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20160604_102335_resized.jpg
    IMG_20160604_102335_resized.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 46

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Scott,

My Jeep actually came with Full doors when I purchased it. I had always wanted to go back to half doors. Well about 2 1/2 years after I purchased the Jeep I was able to trade to a hard top from the soft top. About 3 months later I found a guy who wanted to trade straight up his half doors for my full doors. Uppers were perfect 1 small scratch total. So I went with it. I was completely disgusted with the uppers after trading with how absolutely loud and flappy they were. So along came Jeff's design and I jumped on the sliders. What a night and day difference. Fast forward a year since I got the uppers and I found a full set albeit they were silver manual full doors. Guy wanted $1200 for all 4. Score so I jumped on them. Now I have both. I decided to paint the rears and use them on my trip to expo as I will not be removing the rear uppers traveling however if weather is nice I will pull the fronts off. I absolutely love my half doors. With that being said what I do not love is SW FL from April to October. It rains just damn near every day and makes enjoying the half doors difficult. So my plan for now is to use full doors in summer months half doors in winter spring months. With my arb 50 qt in the rear taking off the uppers made life difficult with storing them in the rear during said rainy season so unless it is the weekend I just leave them on. Driving with the half doors and the sliders in is relatively quiet. Not as quiet as the full doors but a close second. No flapping at all. They are heavy with adding in the windows so that is a plus. I love my half door hard top setup. At the moment I have a soft top on as I found a brand new one for a few hundred dollars down here a month or so ago so I decided to use that til its time for expo. Ok rant over my opinion without the upper sliders the JK half doors suck with the noise. With the sliders they are awesome.

Edit first picture here is my Jeep about 2-3 years ago and then here is the trip I did in June with a few buddies and I ran with the half doors with uppers and hard top. Drove all over FL for 9 days or so.

Great info! thanks for posting this :beer:
yeah I wouldn't do half doors w/o Jeff's sliders. That flapping would drive me nuts too.
so cool, after Christmas I'll keep my eyes open for a half door setup to add. :)
Thanks again!

Stretched the wheelbase a little to fit the HnT SYE with stock front XJ driveshaft - adjusted the rear shackles and replaced the trans mount and removed the crossmember drop while I was at it.

Flares and cut & fold next.

d41e293e9f2b9d286e94419ca831e12f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzine07

Observer
Installed new Baja Designs XL80's and a Squadron Pro above the tire. Very happy with how the install went and the light output is intense.

635b5218c7f644ceda7cf70bfe25edfc.jpg
ca023d8e620836d2aed7ed6cd272b5c6.jpg
d8c64dba161e7e7d499e37ab3eeeb6b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
I spent the morning cleaning the soft top and removing it and then digging hard top out and putting it on. After today I have decided it needs to hang from my ceiling. My wife helped me lift it as we had no one else and I am sure I am in the dog house now. Lol. She was not happy but alas it is on and one less thing to do before expo. Now I really like the half door front full doors back combo with the hard top.
c50eeef1a580f95c41dae6991feb684b.jpg
071c39fed12108fdbaaa2837d9b2ac34.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
After seeing something like this made by someone here before, decided after a year to finaly jump in. At the same time, it gave me an opportunity to look for and fix the traditional windsheild rust to the window frame on every tj. Added rust protection at afterwards.

Since I made the bar my self, decided that some of the balls for the ram support would be welded. X2
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also, even if it is not knew, here is a picture of my upper consol where the cb and amplyfied cb speaker are located. Cd player used to be in as well, but that was when the console was in the yj and the cd player was down low in the dash board.image.jpg

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Got some goodies!

Got my Gobi Rack mounted, installed my Adventure trailer combo slide, installed my Engel Fridge, and will be working on mounting my camera system tomorrow!

IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Completed my axle swap. went from a HPD30 and Chry 8.25 with open 3.55's, to a Built D30 and Ford 8.8 with 4.56's, an aussie locker and trac-loc.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Spent a few hours grinding and prepping my rack for paint. Then... painted it.

Grinding, sanding, prepping, and mounted my lights for a test fit.

Sprayed it with a number of coats of Zero Rust in satin. MAN I love this paint... so easy to work with a dries quick. No primer required either as it is direct to metal.

So much mesh...

It will be getting a plexiglass wind deflector up front soon. Need to make a template ASAP.

I must say... painting expanded metal mesh is a PITA. So much waste. Custom gutter mounts (clamping portion not shown) and tie down rings.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Finally got some adjustable upper control arms for my XJ. I'm in the process of installing them. While I was working on it, I found out that the joint on my drivers side lower control arm is shot and, after months and months of tightening and loosening and swapping bolts on all my suspension parts, have found the source of my clunk! Now to order a rebuild kit.

I'm expecting it to drive like a new Jeep in another week!

Scooter Scott

Observer
Great info! thanks for posting this :beer:
yeah I wouldn't do half doors w/o Jeff's sliders. That flapping would drive me nuts too.
so cool, after Christmas I'll keep my eyes open for a half door setup to add. :)
Thanks again!

Am I missing something? What would sliders have to do with half doors?

rubicon91

Explorer
Am I missing something? What would sliders have to do with half doors?

The half door uppers now have an aftermarket option of adding in window sliders Scooter Scott. Here is a pic of my fronts with the sliders in.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448140850171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448140850171.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 39

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
1st trip with new gears, lockers, artec front truss and armor, new shocks(bilstein 5100's) new ball joints. Everything works.

Did some "Missouri Overlanding" lol. The jeep will crawl.

Did get to meet a few other overland type guys that were all crawling with the best of them.

Due to some luggage constraints, I did pull a little harbor freight type trailer. It was great, may have looked funny but it worked. It aint waterproof though.

Tent worked well. My son really got into putting it up and taking it down. We are getting pretty good at it. Did manage to rub a small hole in the cover on a low hanging tree. Very tough cover. I need to straighten out one of the ladder bolts that got a little dinged up too, but it really held up well and didn't make the rig too tippy.

Attachments

• vnotch.jpg
    vnotch.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 49
  • smorrtent.jpg
    smorrtent.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 50
  • dadstrailer.jpg
    dadstrailer.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 573

jpat30

Adventurer
This weekend I finally got to start working on this beauty.. Rockhard 4x4 Patriot Series w/ Carrier for the WJ. Painted the back side with rubberized spray on coating and the outside will be finished to match my Laredo cladding. Cant wait to get it finished and installed. It will sure be nice to be able to carry a full size spare again and will gain me some much needed cargo room.
WJ Bumper.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3