What do you know about the Toyota Hilux with D-4D ?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Christian,
From your research have you found the "best" country to buy one in? Sort of like buying a 70 if you want one with the steering wheel on the left and certain engine options you have to go to certain country's. I can imagine a bare bones Hilux with a manual transmission, a lockright or locker in the rear, the d4d etc would be a beautiful thing.

I believe what you are looking for is this:http://www.intermotive-car.nl/en/cars/toyota/hilux/1/details/39
They have all sorts of other "special" vehicles, too. It would be cool to see a global build chart for this stuff.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Christian,
From your research have you found the "best" country to buy one in? Sort of like buying a 70 if you want one with the steering wheel on the left and certain engine options you have to go to certain country's. I can imagine a bare bones Hilux with a manual transmission, a lockright or locker in the rear, the d4d etc would be a beautiful thing.

I am doing some intense research these days. Persephone and I are expecting to start traveling again in August, starting with a trip to UK to see the Olympic games.
We have learned some lessons since the last journey and one thing that is primordial for us is to have some inside living space. Persephone will be applying to many schools next year for her doctorate and we will keep working on Expo/OJ so we need to have some sort of permanent table/seating area we can use in any weather condition. We also expect to visit many developed (and expensive) countries and not just some remote African areas...so we think a Sprinter/Van type of vehicle is probably a better choice for us. Something you can park in the middle of Rome or Istanbul and still be able to go inside without having to walk around and lift up a pop-top truck camper roof, for example.

At this point we think that a Sprinter 4x4 would probably be the ultimate choice, and I just missed this one that I would have bought for sure:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/4x4/mercedes/1012-creme-de-la-creme.html

sprinterside.jpg

That said, I found out that you can get a brand new Hilux tax-free in Belgium for about 20000 Euro. This comes with a 30 days (or more) temporary registration you can use to drive it out of Europe.

http://www.transauto.be/car/car.php?vehicle=999&lg=fr

TOYOTA-Hilux---Vigo--999B0.jpg

Apparently it could be possible to start a company in Gibraltar and then register the car under that company - I have a friend who just did that. I am not sure if it's totally legal and what are the ramifications of that but that's one avenue I am exploring - this way I am hoping I could buy any car in Europe.

UK has tons of deals right now and they have several Toyota Hiace 4x4 but the RHD is a bit annoying since we will be in LHD countries most of the time. But I am considering this also.

RockTaco02

Did they ever get the injector problem solved on the 4d ? or are they still suspect to premature failure, with each one being a couple hundred dollars it was kinda of a deal breaker for a swap. "Winch" put one in his d-cab and i'm flirting with the idea, I just have this suspicion that my 3.4 isn't going to like the weight of the cruiser axles and doubler. If I dip into the 80 series gas mileage range I'm gonna be pissed.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Did they ever get the injector problem solved on the 4d ? or are they still suspect to premature failure, with each one being a couple hundred dollars it was kinda of a deal breaker for a swap. "Winch" put one in his d-cab and i'm flirting with the idea, I just have this suspicion that my 3.4 isn't going to like the weight of the cruiser axles and doubler. If I dip into the 80 series gas mileage range I'm gonna be pissed.

Which it will...

...still cheaper than a diesel swap.

Containerized

Adventurer
Christian,

It's definitely a better starting point for an expedition vehicle than a Tacoma if all you want is payload. I studied in detail the Hilux "section 3" (rear boxed frame sections) and the heavily-frame-up-modified Tacoma I'm building for my next set of trips is mostly modified from the fuel tank rearward (well... that's not really true, there's plenty of additional steel 2x2 tube in the front of the truck, as well). For those of us who want to start with a vehicle from the showroom and tear apart a new truck, there are pluses and minuses. The diesel in the Hilux is nice, but I (like the Aussies) really like the 4L and it has never done me any wrong in East Africa. Also, I like the Access Cab configuration of the Taco, which gives me a four liter petrol motor and a six-speed with space I can use to carry passengers if needed - when not needed, this serves as valuable lockable and quickly-accessible space for stacked duffles, flat-form-factor Pelican cases, or any other equipment.

Yes, I know, build thread to come...

Containerized

Containerized

Adventurer
Kermit - I can't speak for everyone, but my co-workers tend to have Prados and Hiluxes with diesels. I'm the weird guy with the FJ. At least anywhere near Sudan, petrol is so cheap that there's essentially no price difference. While the diesel sips a little less than the petrol motor (okay, a lot less), the petrol motors are not that terrible on fuel. I keep four 20L NATO cans on the roof, and I've never really been afraid of running out, even in some pretty remote places. The petrol is substantially quieter, which matters if you enjoy seeing wildlife and, more importantly, if you like being able to pull through a village without causing a stir. My FJ is one of the quietest trucks when I'm pulling up to any market, truck stop, etc. Maybe the thing I like the most is that petrol has octane ratings associated with it and is run by all the motorbikes in the region. This means it's generally of higher quality (in my experience) than diesels. I've actually never, in over a year of driving in East Africa, heard of someone getting bad fuel. But I've heard plenty of nightmare stories of contaminated diesel. Ex-military Mercedes trucks and two-ton Tatas will gulp down stuff that will stop a consumer diesel motor in its tracks. Also, the number of people using gasoline for motorbikes, small cars, etc. means it's "fresh" at any name-brand station (Shell, Libyoil, Total).

But... if I'm being honest? A lot of it is just preference and what people are used to. Definitely never thought it was worth it to do a full drivetrain swap in either direction (petrol to diesel or diesel to petrol) unless you've got a dead motor and a good reason. Both engines are good, and, like dogs, it comes down to the care and feeding more than the starting genetics.

Clutch

<---Pass
Kermit - I can't speak for everyone, but my co-workers tend to have Prados and Hiluxes with diesels. I'm the weird guy with the FJ. At least anywhere near Sudan, petrol is so cheap that there's essentially no price difference. While the diesel sips a little less than the petrol motor (okay, a lot less), the petrol motors are not that terrible on fuel. I keep four 20L NATO cans on the roof, and I've never really been afraid of running out, even in some pretty remote places. The petrol is substantially quieter, which matters if you enjoy seeing wildlife and, more importantly, if you like being able to pull through a village without causing a stir. My FJ is one of the quietest trucks when I'm pulling up to any market, truck stop, etc. Maybe the thing I like the most is that petrol has octane ratings associated with it and is run by all the motorbikes in the region. This means it's generally of higher quality (in my experience) than diesels. I've actually never, in over a year of driving in East Africa, heard of someone getting bad fuel. But I've heard plenty of nightmare stories of contaminated diesel. Ex-military Mercedes trucks and two-ton Tatas will gulp down stuff that will stop a consumer diesel motor in its tracks. Also, the number of people using gasoline for motorbikes, small cars, etc. means it's "fresh" at any name-brand station (Shell, Libyoil, Total).

But... if I'm being honest? A lot of it is just preference and what people are used to. Definitely never thought it was worth it to do a full drivetrain swap in either direction (petrol to diesel or diesel to petrol) unless you've got a dead motor and a good reason. Both engines are good, and, like dogs, it comes down to the care and feeding more than the starting genetics.

Awesome thanks! Good to here the opinion/pros & cons where you can have both.

Seems like here in the States some lust after the diesel, simply because we can't get them.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Christian,

It's definitely a better starting point for an expedition vehicle than a Tacoma if all you want is payload. I studied in detail the Hilux "section 3" (rear boxed frame sections) and the heavily-frame-up-modified Tacoma I'm building for my next set of trips is mostly modified from the fuel tank rearward (well... that's not really true, there's plenty of additional steel 2x2 tube in the front of the truck, as well). For those of us who want to start with a vehicle from the showroom and tear apart a new truck, there are pluses and minuses. The diesel in the Hilux is nice, but I (like the Aussies) really like the 4L and it has never done me any wrong in East Africa. Also, I like the Access Cab configuration of the Taco, which gives me a four liter petrol motor and a six-speed with space I can use to carry passengers if needed - when not needed, this serves as valuable lockable and quickly-accessible space for stacked duffles, flat-form-factor Pelican cases, or any other equipment.

Yes, I know, build thread to come...

Containerized

thanks for the input - I also got your pm, sorry I never had the chance to reply yet.

Personally, I also prefer the Tacoma. If it was just me, I would probably get a Tacoma and a small camper and be done with it.

But I really want my partner to enjoy her trip - happy wife, happy life as they say...

fooman

I have a 2005 Hilux that I've been driving for the past 5 years. No major problems and the fuel economy is great. I used to get 700km out of a 75L tank of diesel before I started running 31" MTs and putting on all sorts stuff. I get 650+km a tank now. It has a more cab space compared to previous generations and is a much more comfortable ride. The 2.5 D4D is underpowered though. Its not as good off road compared to the old LN106 Hilux as the front end is is quite low. My factory bash plate is pretty much bashed in.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have a 2005 Hilux that I've been driving for the past 5 years. No major problems and the fuel economy is great. I used to get 700km out of a 75L tank of diesel before I started running 31" MTs and putting on all sorts stuff. I get 650+km a tank now. It has a more cab space compared to previous generations and is a much more comfortable ride. The 2.5 D4D is underpowered though. Its not as good off road compared to the old LN106 Hilux as the front end is is quite low. My factory bash plate is pretty much bashed in.

Fooman

thanks for the input. I was just reading that the 2.5 D4D has more power starting in 2010, actually quite close to the 3.0.

I am really concerned about fuel economy for our next vehicle as this is always the biggest expense on the road, so I am happy to see that you are getting 25 mpg +

Containerized

Adventurer
Christian - If you don't need loads of suspension travel, have you considered this, either in the standard or "high roof" format? It seems an incredible bargain for what you get, in many ways, if all you need is enough suspension travel for gravel/dirt/etc. roads. Might be worth considering the V6 2500 as an alternative to a petrol Sprinter / V-class?

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nv-3500

Euro6

Hello,

I am an HiLux owner for few months, as Mitsubishi L200 replacement, and I am fully happy with.
It is a 2.5 liter engine, 144 HP, and enough powerfull for our use, double cab and short bed.
It is almost allways loaded with a camper, and, for that reason, I preferred to change springs and shock absorber for OME components, as well as 16" wheels and BF Goodrich All Terrain tyres.
First test was done during the two last weeks in Corsica island and everytrhing was OK.
6317_Piste_Saleccia_3_10.JPG

I would like to get more informations, Christian P, about the camper fixed on the bed of an Hilux on the picture of the first post, please.

Euro6

Hello,

for someone would like to have more views of our expedition vehicule, please find additionnal pictures from our Corsica travel :

5789_plage_Liscia.JPG

5802_bivouac_Arone.JPG

6315_Piste_saleccia_2.JPG

6330_pointe_de_la_Revellata.JPG

6387_Col_de_Sevi.JPG

Reservoir_EU_integration_140.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach