What kind of welder?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
For those of you that weld, what make/model do you use or would recommend?
I have zero welding experience and I'm just looking to get started, so I don't want a huge expensive machine or anything.
I also would like to be able to plug it into a standard household outlet, and having only one good hand, I understand a mig is really the only way to go.

So, any suggestions?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
lincoln 140C...anything that will take a bottle and has infinite voltage settings if FAR AND ABOVE better to learn and use than the 4 or 5 preset voltages..

and I happen to like the lincolns..but miller works good too...140's run on 110 20amp circuts..

theres a guy on Ebay that has them for $664 all day long..

WoldD90

Adventurer
It all depends on your current welding needs and what you may need in the near future. Your best bet would be to take a Welding class a your local trade school. Then figure out how you could use it now and in the future. Then buy a local, used welder pretty cheap.

AFSOC

Explorer
Miller, ESAB, Lincoln, Hobart

As stated above, inert shielding gas and infinite heat adjustability are the best features to pursue. I think for hobbyists, duty cycle at full amperage is a minor consideration and a very spendy quest if you want to chase 100%. Not necessary in our garages, only for production work IMHO. I would look at offerings from the major 3-4 Welder OEMs. Buy the best (biggest) your budget or circuits will accommodate. The thing about welders is that you'll never hear someone say, "Gosh, I wish I would have bought a smaller welder." :confused:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Lots of good advice. Yes, MIG is pretty much your only option, you couldn't TIG with one hand. You could stick weld, but, I'm not sure you want to. (I hate it).

Get yourself into an entry level professional machine at least. Lincoln 140C (not the 140T from Canadian Tire). Though, the 140T will still be better than some junk from Princesss Auto if you are that limited.

The Miller dual-voltage setup are really nice if you have the money. If you really get into it, you can do heavier welding by just running 220 to your shop and you're good to go.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Hobart 140 is good cheap startup unit, 110v I've had one for 4 years and it did what ever I needed up to 3/8" steel (with multiple passes)

Upgraded to a miller 212 recently and sold the 140.

To date I've only ever used flux core wire as with travelling so much a bottle would be a pain.

The step up was quite steep, mainly the power and speed,but for learning and general small fab work the 140 its fine.

The 212 for some reason makes way more spatter than the 140- not sure why - same wire and every combination of power and feed.

110V or 220V I just use a transformer to convert depending on where I am

Hobart is miller- so you can pickup tips and parts easily

I don't have experience of the other makes.....!

here's a few creations with the 140 ! so don't accept that small can't provide what you need !

DSC_2130.jpg

DSC_1862.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_1504.jpg

DSC_3836.jpg

This motorcycle trailer was with the 212 but could have been made with the 140

DSC_3827.jpg

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
As stated above, inert shielding gas and infinite heat adjustability are the best features to pursue. I think for hobbyists, duty cycle at full amperage is a minor consideration and a very spendy quest if you want to chase 100%. Not necessary in our garages, only for production work IMHO. I would look at offerings from the major 3-4 Welder OEMs. Buy the best (biggest) your budget or circuits will accommodate. The thing about welders is that you'll never hear someone say, "Gosh, I wish I would have bought a smaller welder." :confused:

I keep hearing to stay away from the Chinese "crap" as those machines don't work that well, and don't last that long. I'll keep those 4 names in my head. ;)

I started looking for a used one online through te weekend, haven't seen any that fit my criteria just yet...
I would like to be able to buy a nice 180 or 210 machine, but for my purposes it would be HUGE overkill, and really just a waste of money. As it is, I would like to keep the price tag on this purchase to under 400 bucks total, including accessories, helmet etc.
I'm not too sure how feasible that is, maybe drop down to a 110 machine?
I really won't be welding anything too thick, somewhere between an 1/8 and 3/16 will be the heaviest gauge for quite a while I think.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'll second or third or whatever the lincoln 140. I've used millers and hobarts but I like the lincoln because it's always given me better results and control when welding on thinner sheet metal, yet still welds the thicker stuff too. If you're new to welding you probably won't notice the difference between the Lincoln or the Miller, both are good machines.

Go with a name brand and stay away from the house brand or no name stuff. A 140amp or so will be fine for welding material in the thickness you're looking at. Get someone to work with you and then practice, practice and practice some more.

85CUCV

Adventurer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 1k the miller 211 is very nice. It runs off either 115v or 230v. MIG.

I'm running a MM211 also. Great welder.

Shiryas

Adventurer
I have a Miller 210 and have been very happy with it. It does have the "presets" for the voltage and "infinite" adjust for the wire speed and I have not had any issues using it on a variety of materials and thickness. One of the big reasons I picked this unit was that it was spool gun ready for aluminum, I do a lot of rafting and have just finished my first cataraft frame. It is dead simple to switch between welding two different metals.

- Take a class, you will learn what questions you will need to ask before buying
- Figure out what you are going to use it for, both now and in the future.
- Buy a name brand unit, the consumables support is what you need. 5 years from now, that cheap unit will not be able to provide you with that little part that has worn out. As mentioned above: Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, etc.

Chris

CJW

If you are going to stay with 1/8"-3/16" metal you should be fine with a 110. Beveling the edges of your welded surface is the key no matter what voltage you're using. If you need to do thicker, or need to do alot of 3/16 you can do it with flux core to get better penetration. I use flux core on my 220. It's dirty but I get good welds with it. Stick to Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart and you'll be fine. Look for infinite voltage and speed settings. That is the only thing I regret about my welder.

Have you looked at remanufactured machines on ebay? That is where I got my remanufactured Lincoln. I saved about $100.

I'm just throwing this out their, but I also contemplated a 110 machine, but I'm glad I went with a 220 machine. Running 220 is easy, especially if your box is in the garage. With one plug and a homemade extension cord you can weld anywhere.

But plenty of kickass stuff has been built with a 110.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't think you're going to get away with spending $400. You'll easily spend half of that on "other" stuff. ie: if you want to learn fast, get an auto-darkening helmet. And don't get a cheap one. I got one from Princess Auto, and it failed after not that much use. I'm now using a genuine Miller helmet, works much nicer. Was just over $100 I think. Gloves, welding apron and/or shirt, wire brushes, etc... it all adds up.

Check this out:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...-Welder-Weld-Pak-3200-120V-W0QQAdIdZ219299508

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Lincon-Mig-Welder-W0QQAdIdZ218753117

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Lincoln-Welder-175-HD-W0QQAdIdZ218846859

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism