When do you learn to trust a new to you truck?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I bought a 1993 FZJ80 about a month ago. Lockers and stock.
I have fixed a few small issues (window motor, leaking sunroof, stereo) and a major oil pump seal leak.

They truck burns a little oil, and the check engine light came on with a weird code (reset it and hasn't returned) and yesterday came on when I shifted down the 2nd when coming down a mountain, but it went off on it's own.

Since I have owned the truck, I have daily driven it for 2 weeks, did a 10 hour round-trip towing the trailer and kayaks to the ARSES Float, then the last two weekends, 6 plus hour trips to the mountains for foliage photos and cyclocross races.

This past weekend, it was just my daughter and me and we explored over 50 miles of FS roads, but everytime I shut it off and wondered if it would start or leave us stranded.

The truck has done nothing to make me doubt it, just reading too many threads on Mud....._JAY7076.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Because everyone wants pictures, here is last weekend.
100612podF.jpg
Mileage on the LC is 169,000 (I have put about 2,000 on it so far) and my Taco has 197,000 and I would jump in the Taco and drive across country without a thought.... but I still often leave it idling when I jump out of it in the woods.

Bph555

That's right,
Get A.A.A.,and drive the crap out of it.
I always keep a few $$ on the side when I buy a used vehicle. (Just in case)
I recently bought a used 100 series in California, drove it hard for a few days, checked all the fluids, then drove it to Argentina.:Wow1:
With 175,000 on the odo, it ran flawlessly the whole way down (even at 16,000+ feet) It did need balljoints in Panama, but that was it.
Oh...there was one surprise when my wife plugged in a 12 volt coffee maker into the rear outlet in the middle of the Salar De Ujuny, Bolivia, and blew out the main 100 amp alt fuse. There we sat stranded. Luckily, the Landcruiser tour guide guys rescued us.
But other then that, just drive the crap out of it and see what happens.
Good luck!

Last edited:

jim65wagon

At 169,000 miles it is essentially a "newer" vehicle then the Tacoma. Drive it, enjoy it, keep up on the maintenance.

fjrohrs

Adventurer
Familiarize yourself as much as you can with the issues you can encounter and pack accordingly. I keep distilled water, extra oil, diff fluid, and some recovery gear in the truck at all times. Get out there and enjoy life!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies.... not sure why I am doubting this truck.... I used to take my FJ40 all over and it barely ran most of the time.... I did get my money's worth out of that road service plan ; )

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I'm not sure why you're worried...after all it was blessed by the ancient Ritual of the Wiffleball Bat...

100_3444_zps80a2536f.jpg

...what could possibly go wrong with the ultimate overlanding rig after such a solemn and spiritual benediction. :elkgrin:

Klierslc

Explorer
You might have the codes pulled(they will be in the memory) and post them--we may be able to help put your mind at ease or save you some time/money down the road. I would also get one of those emergency start kits to keep in the back--has air, battery pack etc.

nutpantz

Observer
I start trusting the new to me truck about the time I no longer think of it as new to me...

either it becomes a trusted rig that I just expect to run, or a lemon that I just never trust no matter how much work is put into it..
Even if it never had a problem.

It's like a six sense...
There had no reason it just feels that way.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I bought a 70 Suburban and went right from the buyer to run 130+ miles of dirt to get home....I did have a great buddy with me in his rig in case of trouble.

It is all about the adventure :)

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Iv had my new to me 80 for about a month now and just got home from a week of UT and Co exploring. I was in the same boat kinda, no reasons to be, just not 100% trust yet. But after a few shake down trips I was ready to hit the road. The truck did great not issues or wired going ons so I think I have made it over the new truck jitters and feel its mine now. :sombrero:

brentbba

Explorer
Take your most trusty tool and tell us what codes the ECU has stored. Your '93 is OBDI. The trusty tool is a paperclip! Take said paperclip and stick the two ends into E1 and TE1 of your diagnostic port on the PS of the firewall. With paperclip in place, turn on the ignition w/o starting the truck. Count the blinks on the check engine light. IH8MUD has a thread with all the diagnostic codes. I'm going out on a limb with a code in the 20's - rich or lean truck - oxygen sensors is usually what it is.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The weird codes were an 82, 83 and 84 - none of which exist... I did it twice to make sure. That was why I cleared them. The one from last weekend turned off on it's own, I am assuming it was a rich O2 code since I downshifted as we went down a hill... That is the one down side to OBDI, having a paperclip with you at all times ; )

brentbba

Explorer
The weird codes were an 82, 83 and 84 - none of which exist... I did it twice to make sure. That was why I cleared them. The one from last weekend turned off on it's own, I am assuming it was a rich O2 code since I downshifted as we went down a hill... That is the one down side to OBDI, having a paperclip with you at all times ; )

Same user name - looks like you've found MUD already. Search FSM Code in the 80's section. Didn't spend a lot of time, but a couple of the threads specific to the 93's mention your three codes. I only have a FSM for a '94 and I think codes changed from the 3FE engine in your '93 to my '94.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk