Which propane camping fire

Honu

lost on the mainland
hobo pans over the fire
and marshmallows along side the fire
thats all I am going to do mainly cause the black soot and its more for fun ambiance and I dont want to mess up the fake logs with grease :)

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
We just purchased the Camp Chef portable (the mid sized one) and will be using it next week in Colorado due to the burn ban. I will share some observations on it when we get back!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
We picked up a Camp chef campfire at Sportsmanswarehouse in Meridian , ID just before our last trip. Just under $70. Better than any online pricing that I found. I like the compact size.
Tried it out and I AM SOLD! Way too easy. Much better than cutting or packing fire wood. It is so nice to grab a cup of coffee, chair and light the fire in a snap. Sit around smoke free and watch others work to light their wood fire and then play musical chairs escaping the smoke. I can get more height if I need to , but as it is works just fine.

When we returned home, I bought a Lite propane 20# cylinder ($90). Transparent Fiberglass composite. The plastic tote / cover will not scar up the trailer and is much lighter to move around. Being able to see the liquid propane level is awesome. I opted for the larger diameter and vapor space of the 20# cylinder due to the high flow of the campfire. Smaller vapor spaces in the smaller cylinders may inhibit performance on the highest burn rate. At 65,000 BTU on high we should get a good 11 hours burn time. I did not find a need to have it roaring once the rocks heated up, so I'm sure we will get much longer burn times from the 20# cylinder.
This will make a great campfire set. Can't wait to go camping again! Fire restrictions in the form of a burn ban start July 1st here. I am ready for it now :)

Sitting around a campfire in the early morning and late evenings is not a necessity, but it is a comfort that I enjoy. We live in an area where "organized" campgrounds are not as readily available, not to mention that we enjoy the solitude of remote sites. Many areas only allow campfires inside an approved fire ring and during a burn a ban not all all.

Our move to a propane campfire was a calculated move. It has to be cost effective , properly sized and weight conscious. We considered many reasons to go with gas.

Due to invasive species, transporting wood is frowned upon or banned.
Wood can be purchased some times. Costs seem to run $5-$10 per bundle. A bundle in the evening and maybe half a bundle in the morning for a quick fire. That is about $12 per day. The volume for transport is not a concern since it is being purchased on site.

Lets say that you do carry your own, clean , bug free fire wood. Enough for three days. That is about five bundles. Depending on the wood probably about 12 cubic feet of space is needed to haul the split wood.

The next scenario is that wood is available to cut on site. Tools needed: chainsaw and axe or splitting maul. The saw uses gas and oil. Cost probably $5 for three days wood supply cut.

Camping in areas where you must use and existing fire ring limits your position. Carrying a fire pan to meet no scorched earth policies is becoming more and more prevalent. One more thing to pack along.

Where does the gas fire fit into this?

Costs to operate. $12 for propane. At wide open 65,000 BTU that will run for 11 hours. I am comfortable that three days run time is available. That is over 60% savings compared to firewood bundles.
Transport space. The 20lb tank and campfire bag take up less than half the space of three days wood supply and can be stowed inside the trailer without a mess. Transport size is comparable to chainsaw and tools.
No scorched earth and approved for use it can be used during times when burn bans are in place.

Now the fact that the propane campfire is easy on and off. No mess. Can be used under the awning in the rain. No smoke.

I think, for me, I see more pros than cons. My total investment for a Lite cylinder and the CampChef campfire $160

The way I look at it is that in less than a dozen trips it will have paid for itself due to the cost savings. In my opinion the convenience is priceless.

DSCN0817.JPG

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have been using a Camp Chef propane fire now for about a year. It doesn't replace a good wood fire when you really want one but it sure is easy, clean, and enjoyable. When at home I have it set up on the porch and we frequently fire it up to sit around in the winter. It has more than paid for itself.

When I went to Point Sublime last month on the North Rim, the rangers had never seen one when I asked if I could use it. The head ranger came over to the back country permit office just to see it. I thought that was surprising. After looking at it all he could say was, "I can't tell you not to use it, just be careful". It tuned out to be so windy we skipped it anyway.

Pig-Camp-2012-2-L.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Saw it mentioned once in this thread, but just wanted to bring it up again: how many times have you bought commercially bagged firewood only to find it essentially FIREPROOF, and that's after paying $7 for a tiny bundle. I have actually squeezed moisture out of this so called firewood.

So between experiences like that and actually sitting around a CFIAC and enjoying it I may be forced to come around and get one. I know that will surprise Strega (I hope I'm not the one who called his a fake, guessing that would be skersfan).

Ace

Honu

lost on the mainland
one thing I found interesting I never heard of before is how some places wont let you bring in firewood from other places ? I guess beetles and such can be carried !
another reason for them !
forgot where I read this but sounds like it was legit ? does anyone know if this is for sure true ?

SilverBullet

Explorer
Many camps I have been in have this restriction. It is for pest control mostly, and cleanliness of the fire. Some folks bring in old pallets. The oils and nails are a problem.

Honu

lost on the mainland
ahhhh that makes a lot of sense about yucky wood ! I thought it was only for bugs and such ? thanks :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think its cause Maui was pretty hard to drive with firewood to other states is most likely why :) hahahaha

General Automag

Adventurer
Helpful ways to get a fire started with water-logged wood

Those "$7" bundles of firewood just make me shake my head. I just can't see buying wood bundles, but we live in an area where you can easily fell trees and there is always wood to cut. I don't want to stray too far from the "portable camp fire ring" topic, but for those that do use wood, even on occasion, always bring you at least one or two quarts of used motor oil. Consider this another recycling tip. If you use a portable air mattress inflator or blower to stoke your fire, with the oil you can get the most water-logged and rotten fuel (wood) blazing fairly quickly, and used motor oil won't cause a flash fire and is not as highly combustible as gasoline, white gas, or charcoal starter fluid.

Last edited:

EricGagne

Adventurer
Those "$7" bundles of firewood just make me shake my head. I just can't see buying wood bundles, but we live in an area where you can easily fell trees and there is always wood to cut. I don't want to stray too far from the "portable camp fire ring" topic, but for those that do use wood, even on occasion, always bring you at least one or two quarts of used motor oil. Consider this another recycling tip. If you use a portable air mattress inflator or blower, with the oil you can get the most water-logged and rotten fuel (wood) blazing fairly quickly, and used motor oil won't cause a flash fire and is not as highly combustible as gasoline, white gas, or charcoal starter fluid.

Is it legal to burn used motor oil ?

Chili

Explorer
We just purchased the Camp Chef portable (the mid sized one) and will be using it next week in Colorado due to the burn ban. I will share some observations on it when we get back!

This thing worked out great! We used it for 6 nights on the Alpine Loop in SW Colorado at 11,000'

Throws a nice flame, starts instantly and puts out some heat.

540786_3770527136185_656071956_n.jpg

522028_3770327371191_616822477_n.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
good to hear it worked OK at that alt :)

have to say the longer I have mine the more I like it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal