Which propane camping fire

Chili

Explorer
good to hear it worked OK at that alt :)

have to say the longer I have mine the more I like it :)

My wife was more skeptical than I, mainly because she doesn't do too well in sub 50 degree temps, but even she was sold on it by the end of the trip.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
One other benefit of these is they don't throw mega heat very high so if you keep them down to medium or low you can have a fire under your tarp or canvas porch when it's raining. Nice way to enjoy watching the rain and staying toasty. :elkgrin:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
One other benefit of these is they don't throw mega heat very high so if you keep them down to medium or low you can have a fire under your tarp or canvas porch when it's raining. Nice way to enjoy watching the rain and staying toasty. :elkgrin:

Exactly what I did this past weekend....lovin it

Attachments

• campchef.JPG
    campchef.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 64

STREGA

Explorer
Saw it mentioned once in this thread, but just wanted to bring it up again: how many times have you bought commercially bagged firewood only to find it essentially FIREPROOF, and that's after paying $7 for a tiny bundle. I have actually squeezed moisture out of this so called firewood.

So between experiences like that and actually sitting around a CFIAC and enjoying it I may be forced to come around and get one. I know that will surprise Strega (I hope I'm not the one who called his a fake, guessing that would be skersfan).

Ace

It's funny watching all the people in a campground that bought the $7 bundle of wood that won't burn, they all have a nice plume of smoke which would be great if they were trying to send out smoke signals to each other. :elkgrin: Meanwhile were enjoying a nice little (fake) campfire at our site. It was somebody else that called my campfire fake, not you or Skersfan. Not surprised you are coming around to the CFIAC idea at all, I'am changing minds 1 campfire at a time.

Doug

JDaPP

Adventurer
Ended up with the camp chef due to cost and ability to cook on it. With the lava rocks I can change them out it if they get messed up 2012-08-19 06.55.17.JPG2012-08-19 06.55.10.JPG

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Campfire ini a can.... I MUST have one of these!!! Far too many times I have been limited by campfire restrictions... ESPECIALLY in the AZ back country. Granted I'm moving to NC in a couple of months and I'm sure there will be some restrictions there as well. Besides, the heater and stove both already run on propane, why not a add a third piece of gear that utilizes propane?! lol

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Just got the Camp Chef Redwood from Cabelas today (mail order). Fired it up and let it run on low for about twenty minutes. Can't imagine needing more than LOW. Taking it out camping this weekend to give it a real world test. There are tons of reasons to get one of these. Two that really sold me...1) flip the switch at 6:00am by 6:20am, you'll have a pot of hot coffee. 2) with overlanding, it just makes more since to have a quick clean up campfire. No fire rings needed (steel or rock), no extinguishing the fire upon departure, no need to haul firewood.

I do need to get a round grill grate for it though...I guess I'll check Lowes on my way out tomorrow. Picked up two full propane tanks for $45 yesterday from a Navy guy moving to Hawaii. He said he couldn't take them with him. I can't by a single full tank for $50 from a local store. Now I have a dedicated campfire tank and a back up for my home grill. I don't know what I'm more excited about...the tanks or the Camp Chef :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
Did some cooking on ours this week with pie irons or hobo irons as I know them :)

But yikes the soot was gnarly ? Not sure I like that cause its messy on the outside ?
Part of me wonders if I had a lava rock one and put it down onto the rocks if it would be better ?

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Did some cooking on ours this week with pie irons or hobo irons as I know them :)

But yikes the soot was gnarly ? Not sure I like that cause its messy on the outside ?
Part of me wonders if I had a lava rock one and put it down onto the rocks if it would be better ?

Honu, I cooked over my Camp Chef yesterday and today and the soot over the lava rocks was bad too. I have a metal grate that the pan actually sat on but the pan was definitely covered in soot. A lot washed off but a lot didnt. I will say this...I made hobo-styled potatoes last night (sliced potatoes and onions with olive oil sealed in foil) and it worked perfect. There are endless hobo style recipes and the clean up is a breeze...throw away the foil.

This morning the percolator was serving coffee within 20 minutes of waking up. For this the, the propane fire is worth the cost.

Also, I have young kids with a 5 minute attention span. By the time I had a wood fire going hey we're ready to explore and go do something else.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
Propane will leave a sooty residue, one of the few downsides of a propane campfire IMO. I carry a brush to knock it off before I pack it up each time, if I do this it's not much of a job to keep it clean.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Propane will leave a sooty residue, one of the few downsides of a propane campfire IMO. I carry a brush to knock it off before I pack it up each time, if I do this it's not much of a job to keep it clean.

the soot on the cook stuff did not brush off though :( was that kinda oily soot that really stuck on like glue

Honu, I cooked over my Camp Chef yesterday and today and the soot over the lava rocks was bad too. I have a metal grate that the pan actually sat on but the pan was definitely covered in soot. A lot washed off but a lot didnt. I will say this...I made hobo-styled potatoes last night (sliced potatoes and onions with olive oil sealed in foil) and it worked perfect. There are endless hobo style recipes and the clean up is a breeze...throw away the foil.

This morning the percolator was serving coffee within 20 minutes of waking up. For this the, the propane fire is worth the cost.

Also, I have young kids with a 5 minute attention span. By the time I had a wood fire going hey we're ready to explore and go do something else.
yeah mine was on the grate also I wonder if it has much to do with the just above the rocks height that made it worse ?

saw some things on line to keep suit easier to clean up maybe I will just stick to using the burner for the cooking and enjoy the fire for what it is :)
except marshmallows and those I will teach the kids to kinda hold it to the side of the flames ?
kinda makes me not want to roast hot dogs and such over them now ! not sure I want to be eating sooty food :) hahahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal