Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

I was a lifelong Toyota guy myself. Thought I’d try a Ford when the aluminum F150’s came out and when we had our 3rd kid. The Supercrew 2.7Ecoboost was an epiphany. So much space for all the kid stuff…and the kids. Flat floor for the dog. Much more powerful and more fuel efficient. I was sold.

I think you’ll continue to be satisfied. RCI makes some nice skids and plenty of suspension options available. I’ve got a 3.5EB now and plan on a 3” Icon lift and 35’s. That’ll get me around plenty of trails in CO, UT, AZ, etc.

Yeah, the storage in the backseat is amazing! Fit's a rifle case no problem. My tent, sleeping bag and pad never come out of the truck now.

I actually have the full RCI skids underneath. I slammed pretty hard on a rock on my Hancock pass trip... That's all it took. I ordered some skids the moment I got home. The way they link together, it's almost like my entire underbody is now a sled.

if i live long enuff(only 73 now) and wear my '02 4-door F-350 srw 7.3 4x4 out i think i'd give one of these a good look see

this comment is made solely because of this thread

so far ... it has taken me everywhere i've gone or wanted to go except over Black Bear Pass and that really is because of length and width

"T"

I've been down Black Bear pass. I feel w/ a spotter (see video), it shouldn't be an issue. There's really no off camber tight turns, which is what worries me when a trail has high consequence.

Congrats on the new truck!! I love mine.. The one piece of information that I thought you may think is cool is that with these trucks, so many functions are available with Forscan. If you want paddle shifters, you can get them with a raptor wheel and a tweak of the code, pretty inexpensively.

That's great to know! I've done a fair amount of basic mods w/ Forescan. I think this is so cool it's relatively easy to change code. I did Bambi, Police Mode (for a while until I realized I like interior door lights), air pressure warnings, etc.

Just traded in my 2021 ranger. Great truck, loved it! But sadly too small for our business. Picked up a 2021 f150 xlt sport 5liter v8.
this thing is big! Finding parking is a bit more challenging. But man the interior, overall quality , space and power is at another levelcompared to the ranger. Just the ergonomics inside are so much more user friendly. Can’t wait to strap our truck camper on and go on a trip!

When do you expect your slide-in campers to be ready. I'm always looking for what to put on it. Right now, I have an amazing tent / awning setup, but ultimately, I'd like to get a lightweight slide in camper.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Like you, I was a Toyota fanboy for many years. '94 Pickup, '88 4runner, '07 FJ Cruiser, '90 GT-Four Celica, and an assortment of more mundane crossovers and regular cars. I've spent many miles riding shotgun, as well as many hours wrenching on, my brother's Toyotas as well ('97 4runner, '86 4runner x 3, Lexus 80 series, etc...).

I've come to the conclusion that Toyota peaked in the early-to-mid '90s, at least as far as my needs and preferences are concerned.

The transition from the global Hilux based "Toyota Pickup" to the North America only Tacoma platform never sit well with me; we could endlessly debate which is actually better, but the more important point is that the launch of the Tacoma represented a paradigm shift for North American Toyota 4x4s. Their priority had shifted away from the rugged, utilitarian nature of the Pickup, to the more refined, comfortable Tacoma; granted, this hasn't necessarily resulted in a lessening of off-road capability, as advancing technology and things like ATRAC and e-lockers have become common or standard, but more-so a change in Toyota's corporate mindset.

As noted in the linked article, Toyota hasn't really updated the technology on their NA 4x4 models since the late 90s. Performance has evolved, so the engines make more power for similar fuel economy, and they do have lots more gadgets and electronic stuff, and the interiors are admittedly more comfortable, but the 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra, and Land Cruiser are all essentially updated and/or tarted up versions of the same vehicles from 20+ years ago.

Tacoma rear drum brakes, I'm looking at you.

Observe the same with their automotive platforms; all of the enthusiast models have either been discontinued (MR2, Celica), outsourced (Supra), or joint-ventured (BRZ/FRS/86).

Toyota has a reputation as a very conservative, risk-averse company, which may explain some of their model choices, but I think it goes deeper than that. I believe they've seen the writing on the wall since they started development of the Prius: internal combustion based vehicles' days are numbered, and in may countries globally the governments are becoming more openly hostile to private ownership of vehicles, particularly those that don't fit into the progressive urban planning model (kei cars, et al).

In other words, Toyota - at least their upper management - has essentially checked out of the enthusiast market and appears to be limping their existing platforms along with as little investment as possible; presumably to bridge the gap until hybrid and full-EV becomes the standard.

Geo-political automotive market conspiracy theory tangent aside, I have had a similar experience in moving from the Tacoma-sized Pickup/4runner to a full-size domestic. The full-size goes everywhere I need to (and most places I want to), while getting similar or better MPG (low-mid 20s highway) lifted on 35+ tires, and in greater comfort. My kids prefer the full-size, too; more room for them, and it's quieter than my FJ Cruiser, even with the Diesel. Even my mid-2000s Dodge (not a marque or era known for high quality) has been mostly reliable and problem free, and when I do have to work on it, it's easier and cheaper in most cases.

Having owned a modern Ford (last gen Escape 2.0 Ecoboost AWD), I gotta say it was light-years ahead of what I expected for quality and reliability, and provided me 100k+ trouble free miles before it gave it's life protecting me in a crash. I'd buy another, or more likely a new Maverick, as a commuter without a second thought if I was in the market right now. I have no doubt you'll have a great experience with your F150, and realistically I'd expect that to be the case with RAM, and likely GM products as well.

TL;DR: modern domestics are MUCH better than they used to be; full-size trucks are better at most things (unless you have to park in California, or are wheeling tight trails); the Japanese have largely failed to maintain their perceived reliability/quality advantage; in my opinion Toyota et al have dropped their pack with regard to their enthusiast products, to include 4x4s, at least in the NA market. I concur with OPs points, well written article, and timely given the surge in popularity of full-size domestic trucks.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I've been telling my Toyota friends this for years.

My fav thing about the new trucks is the 10 Speed trans. Had one in my 18 that I leased but back to the 6spd in my current truck.

Sweet looking truck! My next upgrade is some skids as well.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I took my buddy that owns a late model Tacoma hunting a few weeks back. We drove for a few hours in my RAM 3500 CTD on 37's and he couldn't believe that a domestic, diesel HD in work-grade trim on 37's was smoother, quieter and better appointed inside than his Tacoma. They really have come a long way.

grizzlypath

One day I'm considering a full size truck and the F-series is likely at the top of my list for many of the reasons that you listed in your article.

At the moment though, I feel somewhat stuck with small/mid-sized vehicles due to the roads/trails that are in my area (PNW) that aren't really conducive to full size trucks. One day though if I get into more long distance, overland, wide open type travel I think it's a no-brainer to get into something like that.

Looks like a fantastic vehicle that will work great for you, thanks for sharing!

Jupiter58

Interesting e-moto!!!! Nicely done on the f150. Love my 19 but really like the idea of the gen set! Hard to beat that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you, I was a Toyota fanboy for many years. '94 Pickup, '88 4runner, '07 FJ Cruiser, '90 GT-Four Celica, and an assortment of more mundane crossovers and regular cars. I've spent many miles riding shotgun, as well as many hours wrenching on, my brother's Toyotas as well ('97 4runner, '86 4runner x 3, Lexus 80 series, etc...).

I've come to the conclusion that Toyota peaked in the early-to-mid '90s, at least as far as my needs and preferences are concerned.

The transition from the global Hilux based "Toyota Pickup" to the North America only Tacoma platform never sit well with me; we could endlessly debate which is actually better, but the more important point is that the launch of the Tacoma represented a paradigm shift for North American Toyota 4x4s. Their priority had shifted away from the rugged, utilitarian nature of the Pickup, to the more refined, comfortable Tacoma; granted, this hasn't necessarily resulted in a lessening of off-road capability, as advancing technology and things like ATRAC and e-lockers have become common or standard, but more-so a change in Toyota's corporate mindset.

As noted in the linked article, Toyota hasn't really updated the technology on their NA 4x4 models since the late 90s. Performance has evolved, so the engines make more power for similar fuel economy, and they do have lots more gadgets and electronic stuff, and the interiors are admittedly more comfortable, but the 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra, and Land Cruiser are all essentially updated and/or tarted up versions of the same vehicles from 20+ years ago.

Tacoma rear drum brakes, I'm looking at you.

Observe the same with their automotive platforms; all of the enthusiast models have either been discontinued (MR2, Celica), outsourced (Supra), or joint-ventured (BRZ/FRS/86).

Toyota has a reputation as a very conservative, risk-averse company, which may explain some of their model choices, but I think it goes deeper than that. I believe they've seen the writing on the wall since they started development of the Prius: internal combustion based vehicles' days are numbered, and in may countries globally the governments are becoming more openly hostile to private ownership of vehicles, particularly those that don't fit into the progressive urban planning model (kei cars, et al).

In other words, Toyota - at least their upper management - has essentially checked out of the enthusiast market and appears to be limping their existing platforms along with as little investment as possible; presumably to bridge the gap until hybrid and full-EV becomes the standard.

Geo-political automotive market conspiracy theory tangent aside, I have had a similar experience in moving from the Tacoma-sized Pickup/4runner to a full-size domestic. The full-size goes everywhere I need to (and most places I want to), while getting similar or better MPG (low-mid 20s highway) lifted on 35+ tires, and in greater comfort. My kids prefer the full-size, too; more room for them, and it's quieter than my FJ Cruiser, even with the Diesel. Even my mid-2000s Dodge (not a marque or era known for high quality) has been mostly reliable and problem free, and when I do have to work on it, it's easier and cheaper in most cases.

Having owned a modern Ford (last gen Escape 2.0 Ecoboost AWD), I gotta say it was light-years ahead of what I expected for quality and reliability, and provided me 100k+ trouble free miles before it gave it's life protecting me in a crash. I'd buy another, or more likely a new Maverick, as a commuter without a second thought if I was in the market right now. I have no doubt you'll have a great experience with your F150, and realistically I'd expect that to be the case with RAM, and likely GM products as well.

TL;DR: modern domestics are MUCH better than they used to be; full-size trucks are better at most things (unless you have to park in California, or are wheeling tight trails); the Japanese have largely failed to maintain their perceived reliability/quality advantage; in my opinion Toyota et al have dropped their pack with regard to their enthusiast products, to include 4x4s, at least in the NA market. I concur with OPs points, well written article, and timely given the surge in popularity of full-size domestic trucks.

Wow!! I wish I would have consulted you before I wrote my blog post... Very well written response and super informative!

It's hard for me not to see similarities between Canon and Toyota (both VERY successful Japanese companies). Both shot ahead of the market, rode their reputation, let the competition pass them by, and then scramble(d) to catch up. Sony surpassed Canon. Ford (and as you said GM / RAM) surpassed Toyota. I think this business practice is purely profit based. If they're selling a product that people buy, why would they change it? I can't blame them for this tactic, but we will see – I can't help but see the new Tundra as an F150 badged Toyota (Twin Turbo V6 Hybrid paired to a 10sp).

Sempertoy

Explorer
I came to expo in hopes of finding almost exactly this post.

I (like others here) am a die hard toyota fan. I've owned a few pickups and a couple land cruisers and I have loved them all. That being said, the new f150 powerboost is strongly pulling my eye. Spec'd exactly how I want it from the factory im looking at 60k out the door. which is about what I had planned on spending on my next rig (200 series).

Grassland

I've not understood the appeal of the 4Runner for the last five or so years. 45-60k CAD and a two decade old 5 speed automatic.

I appreciate platforms that age well, as it reduces waste/consumerism, and keeps maintenance down if it's a well designed and worked out system.

Your telling me they couldn't do what Nissan did and pop a new powertrain in an old platform to buy some time before a redesign?
The margins on the last five years of Toyota truck and SUV have to be huge when the tooling is multiple decades old.

TGK

I'll join the others in offering a thumbs up to the recent generations of the F150. I have a 2017 Crew 4x4 XLT 5.5ft with the 3.5L EB, Sport & FX4 pkg. Just hit 40K with it and, so far, it's been flawless. It's a daily driver & camping rig, including towing a 23ft trailer. I've owned several trucks prior to this, including a '99 F250 4x4 and also a 2010 Tacoma Pre-Runner. The Tacoma was the basic 4 cylinder with a manual and used as a daily driver for 7 years. Was very reliable and did it's job but, the F150 is head and shoulders above it in every way, including mpg. The large back seat has been great for a large dog and gear, as well as ability to carry passengers in comfort when needed. I love the 10 spd trans, particularly with the shifter in the console that is available on the Sport Pkg. When dropped into manual mode, one controls the gears with a +/- thumb button on the side of the shifter. From a towing standpoint, it blows away the '99 F250 with the 5.4L gas engine.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'll join the others in offering a thumbs up to the recent generations of the F150. I have a 2017 Crew 4x4 XLT 5.5ft with the 3.5L EB, Sport & FX4 pkg. Just hit 40K with it and, so far, it's been flawless. It's a daily driver & camping rig, including towing a 23ft trailer. I've owned several trucks prior to this, including a '99 F250 4x4 and also a 2010 Tacoma Pre-Runner. The Tacoma was the basic 4 cylinder with a manual and used as a daily driver for 7 years. Was very reliable and did it's job but, the F150 is head and shoulders above it in every way, including mpg. The large back seat has been great for a large dog and gear, as well as ability to carry passengers in comfort when needed. I love the 10 spd trans, particularly with the shifter in the console that is available on the Sport Pkg. When dropped into manual mode, one controls the gears with a +/- thumb button on the side of the shifter. From a towing standpoint, it blows away the '99 F250 with the 5.4L gas engine.
It's still a baby with 40K on it, haha. I'm just about to hit 128K Miles on my 2015.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven