Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just installed the 6.5' camper in our 2021 XLT with 5.5 bed. The tie down points in the front suck... Need to improve that. The camper is roughly 1000lb and the truck (so far) handles it fine.
What is everyone using for upgrading the tie downs? I was thinking of fastening aftermarket cargo hooks through the truck bed with big baseplates. But having read reports for people complaining about the very thin aluminum makes me concerned. External straps etc are not an option... I like to keep the look clean. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2021 F-150 w.camper.jpeg
    2021 F-150 w.camper.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 43

phsycle

Adventurer
@UglyViking That's a good point. You almost need to compare similar optioned trucks. Ford has a lot of fancy options that can be more problematic. My brother has a King Ranch and everything that's been warranted on it isn't on my XLT?

My neighbor had a Platinum and wanted to show me the seat massager. It worked for 10 seconds then stopped ?
But it’s not all bad. I like the innovation despite some failures. I really like the workspace feature in the new gen Ford’s. Tailgate step that now everyone copied. I’m more of an XL/XLT type so won’t have to worry too much about potential failures but I do like the efforts in innovation and will happily let the KR/Plat folks be the early adapter Guinea pigs. ?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Not sure how many of you guys are on IG but I have seen a ton of videos of people buying brand new tacomas and pointing out all of the flaws. Mainly loose parts. One person literally pulled the door handle off with very little effort.

Great thread and conversation!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I never had issues with my massaging seats and I do kind of miss them, but long term I bet they'd stop working or lose pressure.

rruff

Explorer
Do you have data on the Toyota being cheaper to own and more reliable? I find the reliability data very challenging to source.

Edmunds True Cost to Own has the ownership cost data. And note that the Tundra takes a big hit for MPG because they use EPA ratings (EPA is 14 for Tundra, and 20 for F150 3.5, Fuelly is 14 Tundra and 16 for the Ford), and also has more expensive insurance, but still comes out ahead due to mostly depreciation.

Consumer reports gives the Tundra much better frequency of repair marks. Last I looked the Tundra was 5/5 and none of the domestics were better than 2/5.

The maintenance and repair costs are interesting... it indicates that all the domestic brands are reliable at the 10 year mark anyway. :unsure:

The cost of a Toyota certainly varies by region just like it does for domestics.
Historically Toyota here will point you to the door if you don't pay the sticker price.

That was the case locally. So I went to Denver (500 miles away) and bought exactly what I wanted off the lot for ~$5k discount (~14%). I locked in that price on the internet before I took the trip.

I looked at Ford and GM, but didn't shop too hard. I probably would have been able to get a better deal on them if I'd been willing to travel as well.

UglyViking

I guess the funny part about all this, is that we are having the discussion at all. If this were the late 90s – early 00s you would be hard pressed to defend any of the major domestics brand rep for reliability, Toyota would be the obvious choice. The fact that we are having a discussing and digging for data indicates that the domestics have caught up, at least mostly, to Toyota.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I guess the funny part about all this, is that we are having the discussion at all. If this were the late 90s – early 00s you would be hard pressed to defend any of the major domestics brand rep for reliability, Toyota would be the obvious choice. The fact that we are having a discussing and digging for data indicates that the domestics have caught up, at least mostly, to Toyota.
I don't know... A lot of people with the 88-98 GM trucks, 92-96 F-Series and 2nd Gen Cummins Dodges would beg to differ.

And would probably state they are more reliable then todays domestics....

Grassland

I just build a Tundra SR double cab with TRD Offroad package (Canada) for 56k CAD before taxes freight and PDI
Seems like a better value than a similarly equipped F150 right now, as Ford has a 301A F150 with rear locker, tow package etc in the upper 50s since there are no discounts or promotions. Now I can get most of the features I want (tow package, locker, skid plates) and not get some of the forced upon you standard features the Toyota comes with to get the price down, but it's still well above 50k CAD.
Prior to COVID you could see 8-10K off sticker on the Ford. Which is an entire game changer when available.
Alas, the Toyota has an 85 liter fuel tank in this configuration, so it immediately cuts itself from my list.
At least at this point, it's now no longer Toyota offering 15 year old vehicles at a higher price point than domestics.
I'm surprised.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I just build a Tundra SR double cab with TRD Offroad package (Canada) for 56k CAD before taxes freight and PDI
Seems like a better value than a similarly equipped F150 right now, as Ford has a 301A F150 with rear locker, tow package etc in the upper 50s since there are no discounts or promotions. Now I can get most of the features I want (tow package, locker, skid plates) and not get some of the forced upon you standard features the Toyota comes with to get the price down, but it's still well above 50k CAD.
Prior to COVID you could see 8-10K off sticker on the Ford. Which is an entire game changer when available.
Alas, the Toyota has an 85 liter fuel tank in this configuration, so it immediately cuts itself from my list.
At least at this point, it's now no longer Toyota offering 15 year old vehicles at a higher price point than domestics.
I'm surprised.
Not sure if you'd be financing but Toyota's rate is 4.99% whereas Ford is 0.99%. So even if the Toyota is cheaper, the payments are similar.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
Edmunds True Cost to Own has the ownership cost data. And note that the Tundra takes a big hit for MPG because they use EPA ratings (EPA is 14 for Tundra, and 20 for F150 3.5, Fuelly is 14 Tundra and 16 for the Ford), and also has more expensive insurance, but still comes out ahead due to mostly depreciation.

Consumer reports gives the Tundra much better frequency of repair marks. Last I looked the Tundra was 5/5 and none of the domestics were better than 2/5.

The maintenance and repair costs are interesting... it indicates that all the domestic brands are reliable at the 10 year mark anyway. :unsure:

That was the case locally. So I went to Denver (500 miles away) and bought exactly what I wanted off the lot for ~$5k discount (~14%). I locked in that price on the internet before I took the trip.

I looked at Ford and GM, but didn't shop too hard. I probably would have been able to get a better deal on them if I'd been willing to travel as well.
So the tundra gets the same fuel economy as my F-250 tremor with 4:30 gears, 35’s and a gas big block? That’s not good at all.

Explorerinil

Observer
UV, In a nutshell, what makes the toyota trucks better than chevy, dodge, ford, Nissan or any other trucks on the planet.
I think Toyota and Nissan build good trucks, I think they built great trucks when domestic brands didn’t focus on quality as much. Now that all the domestic manufacturers have upped their game in quality and think the reputation of Toyota and Nissan from the past are what drives sales.

Machinebuilder

Just installed the 6.5' camper in our 2021 XLT with 5.5 bed. The tie down points in the front suck... Need to improve that. The camper is roughly 1000lb and the truck (so far) handles it fine.
What is everyone using for upgrading the tie downs? I was thinking of fastening aftermarket cargo hooks through the truck bed with big baseplates. But having read reports for people complaining about the very thin aluminum makes me concerned. External straps etc are not an option... I like to keep the look clean. Thoughts?

I remembered seeing this on WTW

F150 camper mounting brackets

ITTOG

I bought these anchors and used the factory truck bed bolts.

Attachments

• PXL_20201109_002353399.jpg
    PXL_20201109_002353399.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven