Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

Exactly. Once you start loading up the F150 with 35s and all the fixings you may as well go to the SD, but the F150 is flexible. With stockish tires and not much stuff loaded you can easily maintain some impressive economy for the size vehicle. The point being if you are going to slap on the big tires and everything the SD starts to become the better option faster than most expect. I do about 80 miles for work commute so I absolutely understand. My truck serves me well for it and does everything I ask. It isn't a trail monster. Basically stock fx4. If I got a superduty I would get a second vehicle for commuting. Nature of the beast right? Compromises.

The Michelin defender is a great tire and I would upgrade to those tires asap. I ran those stock goodyears and they are garbage. I wish I had gotten the defenders years ago. Literal night and day difference.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Exactly. Once you start loading up the F150 with 35s and all the fixings you may as well go to the SD, but the F150 is flexible. With stockish tires and not much stuff loaded you can easily maintain some impressive economy for the size vehicle. The point being if you are going to slap on the big tires and everything the SD starts to become the better option faster than most expect. I do about 80 miles for work commute so I absolutely understand. My truck serves me well for it and does everything I ask. It isn't a trail monster. Basically stock fx4. If I got a superduty I would get a second vehicle for commuting. Nature of the beast right? Compromises.

The Michelin defender is a great tire and I would upgrade to those tires asap. I ran those stock goodyears and they are garbage. I wish I had gotten the defenders years ago. Literal night and day difference.
I'll look up those defenders. For my uses, I've had good luck with Duratracs. 1st set I think I got 75,000 miles out of them. 2nd set is coming up 38,000 miles and still have tons of tread left. 275/70/18's - Load range E.
IMG_4701.JPG

phsycle

Adventurer
I think my 275/70/18's work out to about a 33" tire. They've worked for me.

I think that size gets you a nice array of AT or MT tires. It’s a good size to get you to a lot of places off road. I will say, I’d probably go 33x12.5x17 if I decide to move to 33’s. I like the looks a little better than 275/70/18.

At times, I do want to go 35 or 37’s. But the decrease in mpg and range makes me pause.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think that size gets you a nice array of AT or MT tires. It’s a good size to get you to a lot of places off road. I will say, I’d probably go 33x12.5x17 if I decide to move to 33’s. I like the looks a little better than 275/70/18.

At times, I do want to go 35 or 37’s. But the decrease in mpg and range makes me pause.
I get that. I do like the look of them too. I don't even want to say what size tires are on the truck I ordered. I'll be shunned here.

rruff

Explorer

Bigger tires are an aero problem, but not necessarily a rolling resistance problem. I actually get better mpg at modest speeds with my big fat ATs than my stock street tires (edit: Hankook ATM, 325/65r18). There can be a huge difference between tires that look similar. The biggest mpg hit is probably robust sidewalls, which are very nice for offroad durability. Also, wide and low profile tires tend toward less rolling resistance which I didn't expect. The computer controls on some trucks may have an issue with the higher gearing, but I don't seem to have that problem.

I think a decent proxy for rolling resistance among tires of the same size and type and load, is speed rating (higher is better)... since this is usually limited by heat generation.

phsycle

Adventurer
Bigger tires are an aero problem, but not necessarily a rolling resistance problem. I actually get better mpg at modest speeds with my big fat ATs than my stock street tires (edit: Hankook ATM, 325/65r18). There can be a huge difference between tires that look similar. The biggest mpg hit is probably robust sidewalls, which are very nice for offroad durability. Also, wide and low profile tires tend toward less rolling resistance which I didn't expect. The computer controls on some trucks may have an issue with the higher gearing, but I don't seem to have that problem.

I think a decent proxy for rolling resistance among tires of the same size and type and load, is speed rating (higher is better)... since this is usually limited by heat generation.

Is this on your tundra? Don’t they have 4.3 rears? Perhaps that’s why you’re seeing an improvement. Although I do have a friend who put 35’s on a tundra and sees 12mpg. He’s got a heavy foot though.

I’d be really surprised if I gain mpg with 35’s. Weight, tread, and gearing won’t favor the bigger tires for efficiency.

rruff

Explorer
Yes. Tundras have a 4.30 diff, but the gearbox ratios make up for it. They aren't low geared at all. I don't drive fast. Plenty of people claim higher gearing helps for mpg, so that could help. Mostly I think it's just a feature of these tires, and they are no longer made. :confused:

Interesting thread. I'm on the opposite side of the Toyota vs Ford debate. Everyone I know with a Ford truck except one guy has issues. Mostly minor, but multiple people I know are dealing with the 10speed acting weird, hesitant, or hard-shifting, and a couple of them have had the dreaded cam phaser issue. One guy's 10-speed was fine until he had to have his cam phasers replaced, and it hasn't shifted right since, even though he has put 3k miles on it since sending it back to be reprogrammed. You might say, "yeah well that's all anecdotal!" True. BUT, the only actual long-term reliability study in existence (Dashboard Light) does not have great data for Ford. 18% of F-series trucks experience drivetrain issues within the first buyer's ownership. That's drivetrain issues only! That's like 1 in 5! Unreal. Ford has a long history of releasing unproven tech too quickly to stay at the front of the pack and using deeply discounted fleet sales to claim "best selling truck" while losing the highest percentage of class action lawsuits.

After driving almost only domestics for most of my adult life , I got into Toyota in 2017 when I bought my first, a 2012 4Runner. Yeah, it's not fast or exciting. But getting under the hood and under the truck, it is made like a tank and designed with ease of self-maintenance in mind. I ABUSED that thing and traded it in with 135k on a '21 Tundra, my first brand new vehicle. I did it because my family outgrew the 4runner, and I was (and still am) really impressed by the 2nd gen Tundra's reputation for going extremely long miles even when abused beyond Toyota's stated limits. There are Tundras that weigh 2k lbs over GVWR dry with no one in them, and they just keep trucking along. They are wildly underrated. I've put 24k miles on mine in the first year. I love it. It has a very short nose and the smallest turning radius of any fullsize truck. It is fantastic off road. I have a bit of bed bounce on the highway (downside of a 14-year-old design), but it's not bothersome. And I do get 14mpg combined on 35s, and yes that's lower than an F150. But I plan on owning this truck a very long time and never seeing my dealer a second time. I also plan on continuing to go out to remote places and coming back without issue every single time. Not saying people don't do that in a Ford, but fewer of them as a % do.

For those of y'all thinking that Toyota copied Ford with the 3rd gen hybrid Tundra...did you know that they decided to work together on a hybrid truck 11 years ago? Right after Toyota showed them their plans for a hybrid drive pickup, Ford abruptly walked away from the table with Toyota's plans in hand.

Anyway, the future remains to be seen. I am frustrated with Toyota and thankful I got in on the last year of the 2nd gen Tundra. The 3rd gen Tundra has had some alarming issues so far in its rollout. It is a wildly more complicated truck, and yet we still see the same old Toyota that doesn't care to play ball with competitors feature for feature. I could buy an F150 right now with over a ton of payload. (I wouldn't but I could). Toyota, on the other hand, is actually underrating their trucks' payload ratings. 3rd gen owners have gone to CAT scales and found that there is more room between curb and GVWR than Toyota prints on the door jamb. What in the world? They had 14 years to fix the two biggest complaints (fuel economy and payload), and the returns on each are underwhelming and at the expense of it being a far more complicated truck.

My Tundra will last so long, who knows what the landscape will look like when it's time to trade it in. If Ford develops a track record for long-term reliability and somehow keeps offering more features (like the 7.2kW generator), I'll leave Toyota in a heartbeat.

Grassland

All these online threads make me like my underpowered hard on fuel 3.7 F150 more and more. It's been reliable. And as it has no moon roof, turbos, cooled seats, exploding rear windows etc, there is a lot less to break.

Looked at Toyota as a replacement but a 25 (or whatever the tiny tank is) gallon fuel tank being the only offering on a 4x4 double cab instantly rules out the truck.
Not sure who the hell makes the marketing decisions for Toyota but they sure didn't ask people cords shopping Ford's

*Edit it's 85 liters fuel capacity in any double cab configuration I've built. So a double cab TRD off-road is what I'd want, but that's a loss if 51 liters of fuel capacity compared to current truck

Last edited:
All these online threads make me like my underpowered hard on fuel 3.7 F150 more and more. It's been reliable. And as it has no moon roof, turbos, cooled seats, exploding rear windows etc, there is a lot less to break.

Looked at Toyota as a replacement but a 25 (or whatever the tiny tank is) gallon fuel tank being the only offering on a 4x4 double cab instantly rules out the truck.
Not sure who the hell makes the marketing decisions for Toyota but they sure didn't ask people cords shopping Ford's

*Edit it's 85 liters fuel capacity in any double cab configuration I've built. So a double cab TRD off-road is what I'd want, but that's a loss if 51 liters of fuel capacity compared to current truck
[EDIT: 2016-2021] Tundras have 2 tank sizes: 26.4gal and 38gal. Every truck that is a Limited or higher trim has the larger tank. SR5s have the larger tank as well if they have the SR5 “upgrade” package. But yeah, the SR (work trim) and bare bones SR5 trucks have the smaller tank.

Brand new trucks are so extremely complicated, we’re seeing issues across the board—‘22 Tundras included. I’m happy with my thirsty dinosaur as well. People call it a Toyota Tax. I guess that makes sense. My truck was cheaper than comparable domestics, but I do pay more at the pump. Even though Edmunds 5-year ownership costs put the 2nd gen Tundra at the cheapest due to initial price and lack of repairs, the longer I keep it, it will start to become more expensive just because of the higher fuel bills adding up year after year. If it keeps me away from the dealer and all the headaches those visits entail, I’m happy to pay it. My time is more valuable to me than seeing a few more MPGs staring at me on the dash. Recent market madness notwithstanding, this is still a depreciating asset, and I really don’t like flipping depreciating assets every few years.

If I were you, I’d keep your trouble-free Ford. A lot of the older Fords are great. My grandpa has a pristine 2000 F350 7.3L SRW shortbed that I’d love to buy off him at some point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven