Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

phsycle

Adventurer

Ok, sure, guy. If you’ve got any credible evidence other than some lame clickbait website, please post.
There was a collaboration but it was a mutually-agreed separation. Perhaps Ford did benefit some from Toyota (and vice versa), but no, they didn’t have the blueprints for what is out today. Ford was no stranger to hybrids, as at that time, they were 3rd in hybrid sales after Toyota and Honda.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Too lazy to read the blog, but i have been a Toyota only guy my entire life and owned one of almost every model. Even the way overpriced, overhyped, and under performing Tacoma.

They serve their purpose for everyday use, but they absolutely suck when loaded down, and always have.

A lot more people are realizing this now, and you see gobs of them for sale and almost all of the ads state something about going bigger.

Personally, unless you're a very tiny human being, i never even remotely understood the massive hype around the double cab little tiny bed Tacoma, but the marketing machine did it a solid, and then some.

With all of todays new tech, its still baffles me Toyota doesnt even remotely care about MPGs. Sure, they are FINALLY introducing some hybrid stuff, but they are about a decade behind the 8ball here.

If you even remotely care about GVWR Toyota is usually not a good option. Which sucks. If they made a 1 ton, i would buy one tomorrow.

I finally made the swtich to Domestic 2 years ago, and will never own another smaller truck ever! I can't believe it took me so long to see the light.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Last year I worked briefly at a dealership before moving out of state, and was exposed to more vehicles than I had been in awhile. And here are a few surprising but 'hands on - saw it for myself' observations I made:

1- new, low miles Toyotas are being traded in for domestics by the boatload.

Absolute Fact! Several friends at dealers have been telling me the exact same thing.

I think the instagram mafia is finally learning about that whole GVWR thing

Ok, sure, guy. If you’ve got any credible evidence other than some lame clickbait website, please post.
There was a collaboration but it was a mutually-agreed separation. Perhaps Ford did benefit some from Toyota (and vice versa), but no, they didn’t have the blueprints for what is out today. Ford was no stranger to hybrids, as at that time, they were 3rd in hybrid sales after Toyota and Honda.
I consider the senior manager of Toyota's powertrain division, who is quoted in that article, to be credible. Do you not?

Koei Saga, senior managing officer in charge of Toyota's powertrain division, said the project progressed quite far and that Toyota was stunned when Ford decided to pull the plug.
Speaking on the eve of the Tokyo Motor Show in late October, he suggested Ford had simply used the talks to tap Toyota's hybrid expertise.
"Because we proposed everything," Saga said. "Well, I don't know whether they stole, but we proposed all the technologies we had. It even went as far as the drawings."
When Ford bailed, they took those ideas with them, he added.

Only 2016-2021 Tundras had 38 gal tank option available.
Ah. You're right. I'll edit that post...(y)

rruff

Explorer
Edmunds 5-year ownership costs put the 2nd gen Tundra at the cheapest due to initial price and lack of repairs , the longer I keep it, it will start to become more expensive just because of the higher fuel bills adding up year after year.

Mostly it's resale value. Unless you keep it a very long time or drive a lot of miles per year, it should still be cheaper. At 15k miles/yr you are looking at a difference of ~140 gal, or $500 at today's prices.

Grassland

I know us Canadians are a minority here, but our cost of fuel is significantly higher than most of the US.
If I had to go back to daily driving my truck, it would be a big deciding factor.
Right now my Transit 250 gets 22-23 l/100 and fuel is $1.399 to $1.499 a liter and it's crushing me.
(That's 10 MPG US, $5.30-$5.67 per gallon)
My current, and future trucks see maybe 10k km a year so a 1/100km difference isn't huge, but if I drove the same amount as the average American and paid our gas prices, dear God.

skrypj

I don't really care who copied who. At the end of the day, the Ford system is better simply because of the 7200 kW generator. Power and MPG benefits are pro's but the only reason I would consider a Powerboost is for the built in generator capability. Otherwise I would rather have a lighter, higher payload gas only truck.

Toyota makes some really stupid decisions like not including a generator and not including the full-time 4WD Torsen t-case in either the Tundra or Sequoia. They get so close to being great and then ruin it with dumb crap like that.

fsiegels727

coming from a tacoma to an f150 I see a lot of the benefits mentioned in the original post. I currently have an 18 F150 FX4 with virtually the same spec. The amount of space in these trucks is amazing. I miss how narrow the tacoma is on trails but thats about it. It was pretty pretty to look at......

IMG_9524.jpg

My f150 has roughly 68k on it and I haven't had any issue with it. It has gone through several configurations. I ran 34s for a while with a 2.5in level and have since settled on 33s with a 1.5 in level and some sumo springs in the rear to help with the weight of the cap. For those curious I have the 3.5 and average 15-16mpg around town. If I keep it below 65 on the highway I get up to 17-18 but If you push it to 70-80 you're looking at 11mpg. Thats in the current configuration.

mall crawling glamour shots below :)

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.31.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.31.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.30.55 PM.png

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

Removable sleeping platform and a bedslide is the most versatile system I have come up with to date.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
coming from a tacoma to an f150 I see a lot of the benefits mentioned in the original post. I currently have an 18 F150 FX4 with virtually the same spec. The amount of space in these trucks is amazing. I miss how narrow the tacoma is on trails but thats about it. It was pretty pretty to look at......

View attachment 708899

My f150 has roughly 68k on it and I haven't had any issue with it. It has gone through several configurations. I ran 34s for a while with a 2.5in level and have since settled on 33s with a 1.5 in level and some sumo springs in the rear to help with the weight of the cap. For those curious I have the 3.5 and average 15-16mpg around town. If I keep it below 65 on the highway I get up to 17-18 but If you push it to 70-80 you're looking at 11mpg. Thats in the current configuration.

mall crawling glamour shots below :)

View attachment 708905

View attachment 708904

View attachment 708903

View attachment 708900

View attachment 708901

View attachment 708902

Removable sleeping platform and a bedslide is the most versatile system I have come up with to date.
The grill bar and roof rack are a 4-5mpg hit at higher speeds. Nakid you’d get 21-24mpg at 65 and under.?

I don't really care who copied who. At the end of the day, the Ford system is better simply because of the 7200 kW generator. Power and MPG benefits are pro's but the only reason I would consider a Powerboost is for the built in generator capability. Otherwise I would rather have a lighter, higher payload gas only truck.

Toyota makes some really stupid decisions like not including a generator and not including the full-time 4WD Torsen t-case in either the Tundra or Sequoia. They get so close to being great and then ruin it with dumb crap like that.
The Powerboost has had a lot of issues since its debut. That thing is buggy as heck. I agree the 7.2kW generator is awesome, and I share your frustration that Toyota doesn’t play ball when it comes to features or even being competitive on simple things like payload. If my needs change, and I need more payload than the Tundra offers, I’ll be in a domestic HD truck. But for what I want out of a truck, longevity far and away beats every other feature, and the ancient 2nd gen Tundra is king in that regard.

I completely agree that dropping the full-time 4wd Torsen T-case in the new Sequoia was a huge miss. The cargo area of that vehicle is majorly disappointing as well. It looks like it lost 8” of vertical space due to the hybrid battery sitting right above the SRA. And that awkward shelf…barf. What in the world, Toyota?!!

skrypj

The Powerboost has had a lot of issues since its debut. That thing is buggy as heck. I agree the 7.2kW generator is awesome, and I share your frustration that Toyota doesn’t play ball when it comes to features or even being competitive on simple things like payload. If my needs change, and I need more payload than the Tundra offers, I’ll be in a domestic HD truck. But for what I want out of a truck, longevity far and away beats every other feature, and the ancient 2nd gen Tundra is king in that regard.

I completely agree that dropping the full-time 4wd Torsen T-case in the new Sequoia was a huge miss. The cargo area of that vehicle is majorly disappointing as well. It looks like it lost 8” of vertical space due to the hybrid battery sitting right above the SRA. And that awkward shelf…barf. What in the world, Toyota?!!

It looks like the 3rd Gen Tundra's payload stickers are actually quite low. They put the same number on the payload sticker as is in the owners manual. So no matter what options and configuration your Tundra has, the payload sticker will read one of 10 or so values.

One guy on Tundras.com weighed his truck and its payload sticker was about 250 lbs lower than the scaled weight of the truck said it should be

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It looks like the 3rd Gen Tundra's payload stickers are actually quite low. They put the same number on the payload sticker as is in the owners manual. So no matter what options and configuration your Tundra has, the payload sticker will read one of 10 or so values.

One guy on Tundras.com weighed his truck and its payload sticker was about 250 lbs lower than the scaled weight of the truck said it should be
I would think that would be a legal issue no? Is that not fraud? Curious to see if more people weigh their trucks and come to this conclusion.

stevo_pct

I would think that would be a legal issue no? Is that not fraud? Curious to see if more people weigh their trucks and come to this conclusion.

I weighed my truck (F150), subtracted that number from the GVWR (also subtracted my own weight), and was 20 pounds from the payload number on the door sticker.

I did this with a full tank of gas and almost completely empty truck (I had a few things in the cab like jumper cables, some tools, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven