Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That is some ridiculously horrible gas mileage! How do you do it???? I run 80-85 regularly on the highway and I get 21 even with about 6-700 pounds in it. No cap though.
You must stay in boost constantly! If I got that mileage I would sell it and never look back.

My MPG is pretty similar - 16 - 17 around town. I've gotten as high as 21 on the highway but that was rare. A recent road trip from Denver to Sundance WY yielded pretty disappointing MPG numbers but that's because, being in Wyoming, we were battling head winds and cross winds the entire way. Gusts of 40+ MPH were normal and that will absolutely kill your MPG in a big, boxy vehicle.

My overall average is 13.1, which sounds terrible but you have to remember that at least 35% - 50% of that is pulling a 4,000lb trailer through the Colorado Rockies. I don't commute (work from home) and when we drive around town we normally take the wife's CR-V. So my truck only gets driven (1) on long road trips pulling the trailer, and (2) on Home Depot or other type local errands where I'm doing a lot of stop-and-go driving. Both of those activities are MPG killers no matter what you drive.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When it comes to MPG I think it's important to have reasonable expectations. For a 5500lb vehicle with 4wd, 33" tires and 375hp/470tq I consider 16 - 17 around town to be excellent. My Suburban was smaller and had way less power and struggled to get 12mpg under the same conditions.

EDITED TO ADD: Back in the 70's (my benchmark since that's when I got my first vehicle), a full size 4x4 never got better than 10mpg under the best circumstances and 5 - 9 around town was pretty normal. This was in the days of carbureted V8's that put out MAYBE 220 HP on a good day.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thank you! I guess the 2.7 is the one who makes the most sense for my needs and yes mpg is important as fuel is expensive in Canada.
2.7 F150 is the perfect combo for the typical small truck person that needs space. Mileage for sure is a big advantage. Keep it stock and drive like a normal level headed person and they do 24-26mpg easily. Which the mid sized stuff can’t touch.

moose545

coming from a tacoma to an f150 I see a lot of the benefits mentioned in the original post. I currently have an 18 F150 FX4 with virtually the same spec. The amount of space in these trucks is amazing. I miss how narrow the tacoma is on trails but thats about it. It was pretty pretty to look at......

View attachment 708899

My f150 has roughly 68k on it and I haven't had any issue with it. It has gone through several configurations. I ran 34s for a while with a 2.5in level and have since settled on 33s with a 1.5 in level and some sumo springs in the rear to help with the weight of the cap. For those curious I have the 3.5 and average 15-16mpg around town. If I keep it below 65 on the highway I get up to 17-18 but If you push it to 70-80 you're looking at 11mpg. Thats in the current configuration.

mall crawling glamour shots below :)

View attachment 708905

View attachment 708904

View attachment 708903

View attachment 708900

View attachment 708901

View attachment 708902

Removable sleeping platform and a bedslide is the most versatile system I have come up with to date.

What cap is that, does it come with the molle panels to prevent breakage and theft of the inside stuff? Nice setup (s) pew, pew ;) I'd like something similar in time for the RTT.

I too have been a Toyota guy my entire life but got tired of the mpg in my GX460, fully built @11.5 average. Sold it in October and actually stumbled on to the new SIlverado 1500 diesel after plans for a Jeep JLU diesel went south, this thread makes me even happier that I did. Tons of room inside, great mpg and range, oil filters aren't $85 like the Jeep's were, 7qts of oil vs 9qts, and not nearly as many issues talked about. After reading this thread more, the possibilities of a slide in are real down the road, and the Duramax won't have any issues. Just need to find some mods and see how the aftermarket comes along, and enjoy the ride!

fsiegels727

What cap is that, does it come with the molle panels to prevent breakage and theft of the inside stuff? Nice setup (s) pew, pew ;) I'd like something similar in time for the RTT.

I too have been a Toyota guy my entire life but got tired of the mpg in my GX460, fully built @11.5 average. Sold it in October and actually stumbled on to the new SIlverado 1500 diesel after plans for a Jeep JLU diesel went south, this thread makes me even happier that I did. Tons of room inside, great mpg and range, oil filters aren't $85 like the Jeep's were, 7qts of oil vs 9qts, and not nearly as many issues talked about. After reading this thread more, the possibilities of a slide in are real down the road, and the Duramax won't have any issues. Just need to find some mods and see how the aftermarket comes along, and enjoy the ride!

That cap is an ARE Revo Cap with a Yakima Rack on top. The Molle panels are actually supposed to be a sort of Dog guard to keep dogs from sticking their heads out. Thats how they are marketed but they would definitely deter theft a bit. I bought that cap used but the original owner said those came with it (they might be an option).

phsycle

Adventurer
I’m getting old. Couldn’t care less about cool V8 noises in a truck. (Maybe when I get around to getting a Camaro SS). For long hauls, the last thing I want is the constant drone of a V8. Even the whistle of the turbo annoys me ?

EMrider

Explorer
2.7 F150 is the perfect combo for the typical small truck person that needs space. Mileage for sure is a big advantage. Keep it stock and drive like a normal level headed person and they do 24-26mpg easily. Which the mid sized stuff can’t touch.

My 2021 F150 with the 2.7 (FX4 package) has averaged 21.7mpg over 6k miles. A lot of that was highway mileage. I’m very happy with that MPG. I have never seen 24+mpg.

R

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 2021 F150 with the 2.7 (FX4 package) has averaged 21.7mpg over 6k miles. A lot of that was highway mileage. I’m very happy with that MPG. I have never seen 24+mpg.

R
My 3.5 expedition 3.73 easily does 21mpg on long highway trips. Several buddies with the 2.7 f150’s definitely see trip averages in the 24+

skrypj

Im really liking the 3.0 Duramax and if i was buying a truck tomorrow it would be a serious contender. I am on the FB group and seems like they are mostly sorted at this point. They had a few issues at the beginning but nothing crazy.

I also own a GX460. Its cool, and great for city driving, but overall my F150 is far more useful.

skrypj

I’m getting old. Couldn’t care less about cool V8 noises in a truck. (Maybe when I get around to getting a Camaro SS). For long hauls, the last thing I want is the constant drone of a V8. Even the whistle of the turbo annoys me

TFLTruck just had a towing MPG comparison between a Ram rebel and new Tundra. They pulled a 7000 lb travel trailer into a headwind and the ram was constantly downshifting to 4000 rpm on small rolling hills. It was obnoxious.

The tundra just casually churned away at 2000 rpm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven