Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

It looks like the 3rd Gen Tundra's payload stickers are actually quite low. They put the same number on the payload sticker as is in the owners manual. So no matter what options and configuration your Tundra has, the payload sticker will read one of 10 or so values.

One guy on Tundras.com weighed his truck and its payload sticker was about 250 lbs lower than the scaled weight of the truck said it should be
Yep. That thread is what I was referencing in post #86. Toyota is provably underrating their trucks‘ capability. Frustrating to say the least.

skrypj

I weighed my truck (F150), subtracted that number from the GVWR (also subtracted my own weight), and was 20 pounds from the payload number on the door sticker.

I did this with a full tank of gas and almost completely empty truck (I had a few things in the cab like jumper cables, some tools, etc).

Me too. My door sticker is 1539 and it scaled at 1560.

fsiegels727

The grill bar and roof rack are a 4-5mpg hit at higher speeds. Nakid you’d get 21-24mpg at 65 and under.?
pretty much spot on. I gained 1 from the bar and bumper and 1 from the rack...I was around 12 for a while and cleaned all my MAF sensors the other day and did spark plugs (preemptively)...jumped back to 16mpg over night and has held steady

Welric

Let me start off by saying that I’ve been a Toyota guy my whole life. My first truck was an ‘81 Toyota single cab; I built a rockcrawler ‘88 4runner, beat the crap out of a ‘90 Extended Cab and fell in love w/ my ‘98 Tacoma, which I had for well over 10 years....

So then why did I make the switch??

Click the link for my blog post:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Well written!
I'm 6'4", I like outdoors, also a photographer and I work as a registered nurse in remote area of Northen Quebec. I was on the fence between a 2022 Tundra and the F150...But confort wise for tall people (my priority) the f150 seems better. Would love the tremor package too, but for less money I can have the fx4 302a package and all the goodies for less money than the tremor. And because I planned for long term ownership I could upgrade the suspension, wheels and tires later as needed.
I just have a question... Would you pick the 2.7l or 3.5l engine? Or even a powerboost? I think for my needs the 2.7 would be plenty enough. My off-road is light off-road. Fireroads, mining roads too get to my working site, now rocks crawling. More about expedition, exploration etc. Thanks

phsycle

Adventurer
I just have a question... Would you pick the 2.7l or 3.5l engine? Or even a powerboost?

I have had both 2.7 and 3.5. Power wise, they feel about the same. Both fast. Plenty of power for towing (heaviest I towed was about 7k).

If I were choosing, I’d base it on the following:
- Expected cargo weight: 3.5 usually has a higher payload (due to higher GVWR. Although you can get Payload Package for the 2.7 to close the gap a bit. But the 3.5 has a heavy duty payload package as well). If you don’t expect to carry more than 1,500lbs or so, I’d lean 2.7
- Configuration desired: Crew Cab 6.5’ bed puts you in a 3.5. If you want a Crew Cab 5.5’ bed, you have your choice.
- Towing. If you tow a lot, I’d get the 3.5.

If the above gives you options for either a 2.7 or 3.5, I’d get the 2.7. Better mpg. Less known issues. I have a 3.5 now and it’s a great truck. I needed the 2k lb payload, so that’s what I got. If not, I’d have gotten another 2.7.

Powerboost - until they come out with a plug in, I’m not interested.

Jupiter58

cI ran 34s for a while with a 2.5in level and have since settled on 33s with a 1.5 in level and some sumo springs in the rear to help with the weight of the cap. For those curious I have the 3.5 and average 15-16mpg around town. If I keep it below 65 on the highway I get up to 17-18 but If you push it to 70-80 you're looking at 11mpg. Thats in the current configuration.

to date.

That is some ridiculously horrible gas mileage! How do you do it???? I run 80-85 regularly on the highway and I get 21 even with about 6-700 pounds in it. No cap though.
You must stay in boost constantly! If I got that mileage I would sell it and never look back.

I have a trip to OB in may and back through the smokies to SFL. Will have a bit of a load so will do an mpg review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welric

Thank you! I guess the 2.7 is the one who makes the most sense for my needs and yes mpg is important as fuel is expensive in Canada.

phsycle

Adventurer
That is some ridiculously horrible gas mileage! How do you do it???? I run 80-85 regularly on the highway and I get 21 even with about 6-700 pounds in it. No cap though.
You must stay in boost constantly! If I got that mileage I would sell it and never look back.

I have a trip to OB in may and back through the smokies to SFL. Will have a bit of a load so will do an mpg review.

I think the shell creates some drag and brings down the mpg. With the roof rack and bigger/heavier tires, it makes sense.

I had a softopper for a while. It was nice but did notice a slight drop in mpg.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Well written!
I'm 6'4", I like outdoors, also a photographer and I work as a registered nurse in remote area of Northen Quebec. I was on the fence between a 2022 Tundra and the F150...But confort wise for tall people (my priority) the f150 seems better. Would love the tremor package too, but for less money I can have the fx4 302a package and all the goodies for less money than the tremor. And because I planned for long term ownership I could upgrade the suspension, wheels and tires later as needed.
I just have a question... Would you pick the 2.7l or 3.5l engine? Or even a powerboost? I think for my needs the 2.7 would be plenty enough. My off-road is light off-road. Fireroads, mining roads too get to my working site, now rocks crawling. More about expedition, exploration etc. Thanks
I came to the same conclusion after looking at the '22 Tundras and the '21 F150's. I also really liked the Tremor but in reality the FX4 will be more than I will need for this trucks purpose.

fsiegels727

I averaged 17 when I first got the truck with 34s and no cap or rack or bumper. I drive the truck pretty conservatively but I have a short commute so that seems to keep the mpg's down a lot, particularly in the winter time. If I take longer drives it tends to go up a mile or two. If you poke around on any of the F150 forums you'll quickly find that the 3.5 doesn't get great mileage...its a cool motor with tons of power but its not super fuel efficient and most people seem to be around that 16-17 city mark. My roommate has a 2015 2.7 with 33s, no cap and he averages 18 city 22 highway even in the winter. It seems like the 3.5s are right on par with the V8s in mileage...maybe even slightly worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven