Window insert for 12VDC fan ventilation

Catsmith

Well I'm learning.....wrote a well thought out reply and then a hour or two later managed to erase it.......wish I knew how I did it. Might need to do it again one day.

Anywho.....any updates on the fan project?

I have the parts and will start soon. Louisiana weather has adjustment issues. Might be summer tomorrow.

I sleep in my 2000 yukon xl week nights and home with my blushing bride on the weekends.

Thank you for this thread. I've read it quite a few times.

rayra

Expedition Leader
No real updates. The quad fan setup has been used a couple times on errand runs around town with the dogs in the car. But it helps greatly that I can just open the sunroof completely and with the windows down 4-6" and the roof deck shade, the interior doesn't get much over ambient. I did spot my GSD sitting in the seat one time with his head positioned in the fan draft. Buy he might have been looking thru the fans themselves.

I haven't overnighted in the vehicle since I built the quad-fan version, but I got a new DSLR this Christmas and I'm eagerly awaiting some heavy snow in the Sierras so I can make my long-desired photo trip up the 395.

And I'll have the right rear trim off in the near future to fix a problem with the rear PowerPort and when I do I'll be experimenting with routing some switched Aux power to the rear A/C blower.

Photobug

Its been my experience when using a rheostat to control a DC motor is bad Ju-Ju. well, on the trolling motor for my boat, it was.

If you want variable speed for the fan, pick up cheap a Pulse Width Modulator off amazon that matches your amp draw and voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pulse+width+modulator

If I was to build something like this and wanted to put in a PWM controller I would assume I need something offering a range of under 12 V? Some of the suggested PWM modules have a range of 10-50v. I was thinking of this PWM controller.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Depends on the load / amps. Computer modders have been using rheostats on computer fans for a very long time without trouble.

Those PWM micro controllers on Amazon look nice.

camshaft700

Bringing his back from the past
Was googling window fan and saw the great photos.
Saw a dodge caravan at the overland expo and he had made a ABS plastic side window insert. He had made bent out louvers from the abs sheet and sandwiched mesh in the middle. Wish I had a photo it was so slick and clean.

I’m starting a PWM computer fan cooling system for my solar system. Found a number of temperature controllers that you can set the temp and the controller will ramp the fans up and down by temp. The cost is minimal 15.00 and it runs 12v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner